Meanwhile in Papua Newguinea

Okay, so I shall share a story that is kind of similar. Before I retired from the U.S. Army in 2018, my last assignment had me working at a U.S. joint agency. The agency is now called DPAA (Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency), but it used to be called JPAC (Joint POW/MIA Accounting Agency) and it is based in Hawaii. I was working there from 2014-2018. The mission of that agency is to find and recover the remains of missing MIA/POW  U.S. Service Members from past wars, to include the Cold War (there are still lots of missing pilots and air crews from aircraft that went down across the world during the Cold War for example). Of course, most of the missions were focused on WW2 and Vietnam. Regarding WW2, the U.S. still has missing remains on Papua New Guinea, and as such, DPAA still has recovery missions there. So, on one of those around 2016-17, we had a small team that was in small rubber boat, headed to the shore of an area on Papua New Guinea where we had received information from other locals that there were U.S. remains in that shore line area. The teams are usually made up of military persons of various skill sets (NOT in uniform though, as these are classified as peaceful missions of the highest order), anthropologist's, medics, historians and such. On this mission, as they got close to the shore, some other locals from a tribe came out of the jungle and literally started shooting arrows at the boat until the team turned around and went back to their bigger boat, loaded up and left. So, even nowadays, this stuff happens. 

Cheers,

Landon 

Archived