This Week's Meaningless Topic #8 (Oct 31)

Hi all. Thanks to all who have added your thoughts and experiences to this thread. It's fun and interesting at the same time. So, now that I have buttered you up, let's have a go at ...

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Where did  you learn the most- (1) school

(2) work

(3) family

(4) hard knocks

[As for  me, all of the above. School gave knowledge. Work gave purpose. Family gave values. Hard knocks defined my limitations.]

I'm glad I learned the 'basics' in Scottish schools during the forties and early fifties.  As a student your requirements were simply to show up on time, pay attention and learn.  There was no fun and games, no Parent/Teacher group and boys enjoyed corporal punishment (six of the best) girls wrote lines.  Classes were segregated scholastically so you were always in a group of equal merit - very competitive and, as it proved in later years, provided a very useful background for life's various demands.  But that was then and this is now.

School: I like to quote Robert Fulghum “Every Thing I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten”, which is not exactly true, since I didn’t go to kindergarten, straight to first grade for me, but it’s such a nice quote! :rolleyes:
Work:  There I learned “If you can’t do it you can’t stay”! <_<

Family:  Taught me you have to fight for a place at the table sometime! :ph34r:

Hard knocks:  Still carrying the bruises from that particular schooling! :banghead:

6 hours ago, Wakashi said:

School: I like to quote Robert Fulghum “Every Thing I Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten”, which is not exactly true, since I didn’t go to kindergarten, straight to first grade for me, but it’s such a nice quote! :rolleyes:
Work:  There I learned “If you can’t do it you can’t stay”! <_<

Family:  Taught me you have to fight for a place at the table sometime! :ph34r:

Hard knocks:  Still carrying the bruises from that particular schooling! :banghead:

All I remember about 'kindergarten' (wasn't named that in wartime Scotland) is that we had lots of naps with blankets on the floor.

40 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

All I remember about 'kindergarten' (wasn't named that in wartime Scotland) is that we had lots of naps with blankets on the floor.

Ah, yes, Kindergarten!

Young and impressionable I remember Kindergarten more than most years.

1: Air raid drills.  1953, the Cold War.  Regularly had air raid drills.  There was one end of the classroom that had a lower ceiling, and this is where we hung our coats.  In an air raid drill we all crowded in this space,   "assumed the position", kneeling with our heads between our knees.  I thought that the lower ceiling in this part of the classroom meant some sort of protective shelter. It wasn't- just a drop ceiling.

2. Finger painting.  I failed!  I did not like to put my hands in that icky stuff.  To this day, I don't mind getting dirty; worked as a blacksmith for several years.  But I still don't like slimy.  Anything along those lines, in the kitchen, for example, my wife is stuck with.

3. Mrs. Wright.  I can't remember the names of many of my teachers, but she's one I do remember.

4. Walking to school.  In these days of helicopter parents, and the craziness of today's world, I, at five years old walked to school. ALONE.  

5. And so, what did I learn?  A lot really, but most memorable: the song " I've been working on the railroad ".

In terms of life experience, in response to Rodger's topic, all of the above.  But my first two year active duty tour in the Navy was a watershed time.  That's when I " grew up ".

Ken

This is a hard one because it is definitely NOT a useless topic. School: 5 years at a Catholic boys boarding from age of 11  learned how to look after myself because the priests certainly didn't. Family: Did not have one hence boarding school which has made me appreciate the family my wife and I have created even more   Work: learned that the harder you work the "luckier" you become   Hard Knocks: Plenty at boarding school again. When you get knocked down, don't stay there..get up again even if you get knocked down again ( I got up a lot:)).

On 10/30/2020 at 9:06 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

[As for  me, all of the above. School gave knowledge. Work gave purpose. Family gave values. Hard knocks defined my limitations.]

Very nice sentence indeed

I think it might apply to most of us.

Work has some significant weight for me I think

15 hours ago, John York said:

running out of time and still learning.

Nice one

We never finish learning

9 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Work:  There I learned “If you can’t do it you can’t stay”! 

I see this will never change

Archived