Rules 2020 Screenshot contest.

HeKa48

19 hours ago, F737NG said:

Excellent pic, Henk. The blend of the real sky and colours in the sim works very well in your shot.

What do we reckon to mine, contest worthy? :D

7NvPxl6.jpg

Beautiful image is this an X-Plane?:rolleyes:

Some great artwork shown in this post!

19 hours ago, boetie said:

Aye 'Tis allowed, however when I vote in the screenshot comp I try and vote for what seems as unedited to my eye.

Cheers

Graeme :)

I agree. Just as it suits us.

4 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful image is this an X-Plane?:rolleyes:

Now I finally understand what XP is ;)

13 hours ago, adambar said:

Why, what's the difference if you use Luminar, REX,Active Sky, photo shop or any other program.

Without wanting to get into a long debate about where the precise line should be w.r.t. post-processing, I feel that the adding of a real sky and an external object, as in my pic above, should preclude me from entering into the screenshot competition.

My concern is that we could accidentally end-up with the best users of photo editing software dominating the screenshot forum with wildly manipulated pics like mine.
If I put a real sunset sky and a real departing Delta 777 over some Orbx scenery, is it really a sim image any longer?

Just my 2 cents.

I think the problem with all this (like any rule or law in RL) is actually *enforcing* it. With all the wonderful software out there these days, it's nigh on impossible to set some arbitrary threshold - it's just too hard to tell (unless it's blindingly obvious!).

On one of the other popular FS forums I visit, we had *years* of discussion on how to get round this - and ended up getting nowhere. It all got just too complicated. For instance - I had an idea that there should be two factors to rate each shot on: its visual appeal and how well it fit the theme (a different one being set each month). The idea was to try shift the balance from the usual gang of "screenshot artists" to people that have maybe less graphical skill but have created an interesting image that "fits the bill". Didn't work - people just voted on what looked nice :-((

For what it's worth, I agree with boetie's approach - just vote for which style you prefer ... end of story!

My only gripe (not with the comp itself, but with screenshots in general) is that I often look at them and think "how the hell did he manage that?" ... and that there's a tweak out there that I've somehow missed. If people are stitching together shots from outside the sim, I get all confused (easily done :lol:).

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

I think the problem with all this (like any rule or law in RL) is actually *enforcing* it. With all the wonderful software out there these days, it's nigh on impossible to set some arbitrary threshold - it's just too hard to tell (unless it's blindingly obvious!).

On one of the other popular FS forums I visit, we had *years* of discussion on how to get round this - and ended up getting nowhere. It all got just too complicated. For instance - I had an idea that there should be two factors to rate each shot on: its visual appeal and how well it fit the theme (a different one being set each month). The idea was to try shift the balance from the usual gang of "screenshot artists" to people that have maybe less graphical skill but have created an interesting image that "fits the bill". Didn't work - people just voted on what looked nice :-((

For what it's worth, I agree with boetie's approach - just vote for which style you prefer ... end of story!

My only gripe (not with the comp itself, but with screenshots in general) is that I often look at them and think "how the hell did he manage that?" ... and that there's a tweak out there that I've somehow missed. If people are stitching together shots from outside the sim, I get all confused (easily done :lol:).

Luminar replacement skies definitely come under your "blindingly obvious" category since default, often addon skies don't add much to a screenshot.  I once won a contest on NZFF - first/last entry on any forum.  I edit everything, always have - always will.  Even use spellcheck :rolleyes:.   Here's a thought (haven't even had my first cup yet) - why not separate categories of shots in the contest, edited and pure 'V' key?

On 5/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, F737NG said:

Excellent pic, Henk. The blend of the real sky and colours in the sim works very well in your shot.

What do we reckon to mine, contest worthy? :D

7NvPxl6.jpg

reminds me of this line here:  "Odd place to find a Jedi Master...."   

"Judge me by my size, do you??"

5268010049_b3686a8569_b.thumb.jpg.fa8adc74728f6254203100146347f578.jpg

It's not my intention to come across as negative, but I have to think I'm out if we start accepting this level of editing in the screenshot contest.  Frankly it's already been challenging enough going up against screenshots from the TrueEarth line, which for the last several months have been exclusive to one sim platform.  I realize the contest is in good fun, and I take it as such, but there has to be a line of stability somewhere in there.  Just my thoughts.

2 minutes ago, medx421 said:

It's not my intention to come across as negative, but I have to think I'm out if we start accepting this level of editing in the screenshot contest.  Frankly it's already been challenging enough going up against screenshots from the TrueEarth line, which for the last several months have been exclusive to one sim platform.  I realize the contest is in good fun, and I take it as such, but there has to be a line of stability somewhere in there.  Just my thoughts.

A fine argument for two separate categories.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

A fine argument for two separate categories.

Quite possibly!

When I was beta testing, I occasionally supplied screenshots of soon-to-be-released scenery. The rule there (for obvious reasons) had to be *absolutely no editing of any kind*. "What you see" should truly be "what you get".

The most I ever do for screencomps in the way of editing is maybe a bit of contrast/brightness adjustment, occasionally a little colour correction and local (mild) sharpening - but even that was a no-go for product shots. Regardless of that, there are people that sometimes struggle to duplicate what they see on Orbx Direct - but that's usually down to hardware or configuration differences.

I'd welcome a double category competition: an "artsy-fartsy" one and a strictly "WYSIWYG" one. The former could be just for fun, whereas maybe only the latter would qualify for an Orbx prize. It's possible that Orbx may stump up a prize for both each month - especially if the "arty" one still features an Orbx product. As to "enforcement" for the "WYSIWYG" category - it'd have to be left to the honesty/integrity of participants. Obvious corrections/edits would be spotted, but subtle ones may not.

Either way, the comp is a great way of promoting Orbx products whilst giving many of us an excuse to dive into our respective sims and snap away.

The main reason I use Luminar is because you always have the same default sky and clouds and with every shot in V5, but that's just my preference. When I vote in the screenshot contest though, I don't care if it's default stuff or some fancy schmancy edited shot, makes no difference to me, I look at the time and effort folks put into there screenshot to make it look nice. :)

Archived