AU Virgin parked up

petfy

I guess the good news is, that Virgin will be saved and fly again. At the moment the administrators have ten interested parties and are confident it will be resolved successfully in the next couple of months. They are about to start flying in Australia on a very basic "shoestring" budget, but flying, and  I am extremely happy for those employees who have been stood down and have their jobs back, unfortunately only a few for now, eventually most will be re-employed according to the CEO. 

Don

13 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

I guess the good news is, that Virgin will be saved and fly again. At the moment the administrators have ten interested parties and are confident it will be resolved successfully in the next couple of months. They are about to start flying in Australia on a very basic "shoestring" budget, but flying, and  I am extremely happy for those employees who have been stood down and have their jobs back, unfortunately only a few for now, eventually most will be re-employed according to the CEO. 

Don

A worrying time for those employed in the aviation business, fingers crossed that everything will soon return to some form of normality.

That is good news, we do need the competition here down under.

Then there are those of us in Australia involved in aviation who felt directly the demise of Ansett a couple of decades ago - which was majorly a result of Virgin's cut throat entry into Australian operations. 

Virgin is now owned by a rich consortium of non-Australians and non- Australian resident entities who will not bail out their own company and expected the Australian taxpayers to do so.  When that didn't happen they chose to go to Administration to protect themselves.  At least Virgin's staff and employees have a negotiated severance and strong government support to move on if required ......  unlike many of us in the Ansett demise.

Australian aviation has a way of rising from the ashes and I'm sure that will happen yet again after the pandemic effects subside.  Hopefully the Australian government will take a controlling interest in establishing a stable Australian based and Australian owned aviation industry.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, TerribleT said:

Virgin is now owned by a rich consortium of non-Australians and non- Australian resident entities who will not bail out their own company and expected the Australian taxpayers to do so.  When that didn't happen they chose to go to Administration to protect themselves.

You are soooo right.

I laughed so hard at Richard Branson.

He doesn't pay tax in England, but wanted the British Govt to bail him out. Why should they, when he is a Non-Contributor.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:07 AM, TerribleT said:

Then there are those of us in Australia involved in aviation who felt directly the demise of Ansett a couple of decades ago - which was majorly a result of Virgin's cut throat entry into Australian operations. 

Virgin is now owned by a rich consortium of non-Australians and non- Australian resident entities who will not bail out their own company and expected the Australian taxpayers to do so.  When that didn't happen they chose to go to Administration to protect themselves.  At least Virgin's staff and employees have a negotiated severance and strong government support to move on if required ......  unlike many of us in the Ansett demise.

Australian aviation has a way of rising from the ashes and I'm sure that will happen yet again after the pandemic effects subside.  Hopefully the Australian government will take a controlling interest in establishing a stable Australian based and Australian owned aviation industry.

Quite frankly TT, the Australian government wont have a choice but to dig deeper in their deep pockets to help save Virgin, without Virgin a huge chunk of the tourist industry here will collapse, which will add more woes for the government to handle. About time for them to give unconditional support to our aviation industry, something they've never done before. Apart from tourism, we need them for all the regional in Australia. 

Archived