A2A Piper Cub - P3Dv4 updated - NZSI

Adam Banks

One of the most iconic of all "little" aircraft - A2A have brought their J3 Piper Cub up to date for P3Dv4. Here we are on a trip from Picton to (you guessed it ...) Milford Sound:

a2a-cub-picton-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-picton-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-nzmf-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-nzmf-02-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-nzmf-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-nzmf-04-1350.jpg?dl=1

a2a-cub-nzmf-05-1350.jpg?dl=1

Heidi MkII does PBR!!

a2a-cub-nzmf-06-1350.jpg?dl=1

Adam.

18 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Shots look good.

?? is left field, but IYHO is it worth the $30 for  the PBR, & to kick up to v4?

Are there new features other than PBR??

TTM

In my opinion TTM, if it's A2A, it's worth it.  They're the Orbx of plane makers.

3 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

but IYHO is it worth the $30 for  the PBR, & to kick up to v4?

Are there new features other than PBR??

Best to check out their product page for the enhancements - and whether (or not!) you can live without them. I got my old P3Dv3 version working in P3Dv4 (after a fashion) but I missed Heidi too much :wub: !

At $30, it's not a super-expensive add-on and I have *huge* respect for A2A - I just throw my money at them, no matter what they roll out. I may have a tiny problem if they ever release a chopper though (hate the damn' things!! :ph34r:). But yes - having owned the old version - I think it's worth it just to have it back, fully working, in P3Dv4 - even without any new features.

Also - I think I've gone off the idea of pretending I'll ever be an airline pilot - and knowing how to fully program an MCDU isn't quite as satisfying as maybe it used to be. Just puttering about at 1,000ft in such a classic little aircraft and watching beautiful scenery creep past is a treat for me.

Thanks for the nice feedback, folks - I'm glad you're enjoying viewing the pics as much as I enjoyed taking them!

Adam.

7 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

& Adam, we will need to persuade Jankees to purchase the Cub & then come up with some PBR textures!:)

I don't think the old ones will work if the JM C-47 is anything to go by?

I'm waiting for approval from JK, but the plan is that I rip through all his repaints for him. It's not that hard - just takes a little time taking sample screenshots and re-packaging. I already have around half a dozen waiting in the wings (as it were!). There are 19 JK Cub liveries in total. What I really don't want to do is to distribute them independently - so they're all going back to JK first - so he can add his notes and upload them to his Avsim archive area. I'm really enjoying sightseeing ORBX scenery in the [updated] Cub, so testing these new paints out is a real pleasure, not a chore. I'm also keen to "give back" to JK for all the pleasure his repaints have given me over the years.

The MJ C-47 isn't that hard to amend either - I expect repainters will catch up soon, but maybe they're more interested in creating *new* liveries from scratch.ZK-DAK wasn't too much of a problem - and I think it does look significantly better than the old non-PBR version. It just looks more convincing, somehow:

https://www.nzfsim.org/sdm_downloads/manfred-jahn-douglas-c47-dc-3-nz-warbirds-zk-dak-pbr/

Adam.

12 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

I was surprised there wasn't an upgrade price for those who have supported them in the past by buying the older Cub.

& Heidi is overrated.

Prefer the Orbx Lady in Red:)

Forgot to respond to this one ;) ... I think it's good value at that price though - and those "A2A miles" help to keep you loyal. I found a couple of prehistoric orders that I'd forgotten to migrate to their new store and they fixed it all up in a jiffy. I ended up with enough points to re-buy Accufeel. I think I now own every aircraft in the A2A hangar, so I'm reduced to buying utilities :lol::lol::lol:. You don't need Accufeel for any of the A2A aircraft, but I fancied reinstating it for use with some of my old freeware clunkers.

The lady in red is way too racy for me. My heart belongs to Heidi - in whatever incarnation!

Adam.

9 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I'm waiting for approval from JK, but the plan is that I rip through all his repaints for him. It's not that hard - just takes a little time taking sample screenshots and re-packaging. I already have around half a dozen waiting in the wings (as it were!). There are 19 JK Cub liveries in total. What I really don't want to do is to distribute them independently - so they're all going back to JK first - so he can add his notes and upload them to his Avsim archive area. I'm really enjoying sightseeing ORBX scenery in the [updated] Cub, so testing these new paints out is a real pleasure, not a chore. I'm also keen to "give back" to JK for all the pleasure his repaints have given me over the years.

The MJ C-47 isn't that hard to amend either - I expect repainters will catch up soon, but maybe they're more interested in creating *new* liveries from scratch.ZK-DAK wasn't too much of a problem - and I think it does look significantly better than the old non-PBR version. It just looks more convincing, somehow:

https://www.nzfsim.org/sdm_downloads/manfred-jahn-douglas-c47-dc-3-nz-warbirds-zk-dak-pbr/

Adam.

Adam, when you say you will rip through JK's Cub repaints, do you mean you will tweak them, or just ID them for JKB?

& BTW, in your last shot, did you notice that the chap sitting behind Heidi looks like Simon Cowell?

TTM

15 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Adam, when you say you will rip through JK's Cub repaints, do you mean you will tweak them, or just ID them for JKB?

& BTW, in your last shot, did you notice that the chap sitting behind Heidi looks like Simon Cowell?

TTM

They all need adjusting for saturation & brightness, alpha channel removal then resaving. Then I need to re-screenshot them (as JK can't) and amend the associated readme files.

Arrrgh! I hate that Simon Cowell prat :footmouth:! I wish you hadn't said that! :lol:

5 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Excellent pictures

Now, why did I know you would get this one?

Har, har, har! But of course you know how utterly predictable I am :lol:. I daren't say anything more incriminating as it might just get back to S.W.M.B.O. ;)

Good, though ... innit?

2 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

They all need adjusting for saturation & brightness, alpha channel removal then resaving. Then I need to re-screenshot them (as JK can't) and amend the associated readme files.

Arrrgh! I hate that Simon Cowell prat :footmouth:! I wish you hadn't said that! :lol:

That is a labor of love.

Is what you will be doing converting them to P3D v4 & thereby they will work on the new A2A Cub??.

Any chance the one below can be included?:huh:

TTM

PptBhma.jpg

44 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

That is a labor of love.

Is what you will be doing converting them to P3D v4 & thereby they will work on the new A2A Cub??.

Any chance the one below can be included?:huh:

PptBhma.jpg

According to JK and someone in the A2A forums, there are a few tiny glitches between the two models. I haven't spotted them, so will need to check what's what, but - yes - other than that, they work fine.

Is that Ron Attwood's repaint? It may be best if you try to contact him to see what his plans are with respect to the new version.

3 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

According to JK and someone in the A2A forums, there are a few tiny glitches between the two models. I haven't spotted them, so will need to check what's what, but - yes - other than that, they work fine.

Is that Ron Attwood's repaint? It may be best if you try to contact him to see what his plans are with respect to the new version.

I'm lost now Adam

Do JK's non PBR A2A Cub liveries drop straight on to the new PBR cub?

Or are you refining the old ones to work on the PBR Cub?

TTM

5 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

I'm lost now Adam

Do JK's non PBR A2A Cub liveries drop straight on to the new PBR cub?

Or are you refining the old ones to work on the PBR Cub?

No ... JK's *old* liveries won't work in the new Cub without tweaking. Though they're *roughly* the same, they need to be tweaked - and the filenames are different.

So - the latter -  I'm refining the old ones so they can work in the new PBR Cub ;)

BTW - Ron popped up in the A2A forums, so I've asked him about HB-OFW.

Adam.

A long time ago when they first introduced this little gem, I commented that the name plate on the right front cowl was crooked.  Apparently the one they modelled from had a pin missing and it was hanging crooked so there you go - extremely accurate modelling.  How can you argue with that.  For anyone interested in Pipers, here's a good read    http://www.airbum.com/articles/ArticlePiperHighWings.html 

Archived