What is the point?

VH-KDK

Icy Straight Point of course

1.FFfhoTX.jpg

Taking off from the nearby PAOH, Hoonah Airport on Chichagof Island.

The Cessna is passing Icy Strait Point with the old cannery and jetties clearly visible.

Nice to see this area in great detail.

2.uvinO1e.jpg

Now a popular stop for cruise liners from May to September, this day even more popular, greatly helped by the beautiful weather.

Two nice snaps Martyn , one of my favorite towns in SE AK ; I just can't get over the great weather you guys had . We usually cruise the end of May into early June and have had good weather also going up there .

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Two nice snaps Martyn , one of my favorite towns in SE AK ; I just can't get over the great weather you guys had . We usually cruise the end of May into early June and have had good weather also going up there .

What a beautiful spot it is. A fantastic view looking up towards Gustavas too with the snow covered mountains as a backdrop.:)

53 minutes ago, adambar said:

Beautiful place that's for sure Martyn. I can't imagine the things you guys got to see on a world trip, something you will never forget. :)

Cheers Adam, I will try and share a few with you over the next few months!:huh:

Oh sorry, I meant the next few years!:o:(:lol:

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

LOL  Martyn

i hope for some hollidays in this area , but from here a minimum of 20 hours for getting at destination a lot of stops ...

Great shots from a point I did not hear of before. However, these small places would be overcrowded when the cruiseships invade, isn´t it?

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I definetively hope so... B)

4 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

LOL  Martyn

i hope for some hollidays in this area , but from here a minimum of 20 hours for getting at destination a lot of stops …

Thanks Patrick, I trust you will be around for the next few years!:o

A magnificent part of the world to visit and so different from where we both live.:)

I think it would take about 16 hours flying time from Melbourne to Vancouver with 3 stops via Hawaii.:D

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Martyn your new theme is terrific, I can now see so many real and Orbx with your 25K+ photos you took!  Hey, I'm still waiting for the pix you promised :unsure:

Thanks Jack, I am glad you are enjoying them.:)

I am sorry for the wait , I will get in touch later.;)

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn. Yes it is wonderful to compare orbx to the RL areas. We need "True Earth Alaska":). Please keep them shotzes coming.:D

Many thanks Karl and indeed TE Alaska would be a great addition as well as the area to the north of SAK and the Aleutians, even if it was just in the old regional format:)!

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Last at Hoonah in '69 - in a Darter Commander (Skyhawk with a Mooney tail).  A lot has changed since.

I didn't realise the AC100 existed until I saw one at a fly in at Temora several years ago.:huh:

I didn't realise it came under different names either until I read your comment a few seconds ago, thanks for the info.:D

Very easy to tell it's pedigree!;)

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots from a point I did not hear of before. However, these small places would be overcrowded when the cruiseships invade, isn´t it?

I definetively hope so... B)

Thanks Gerold and when we were there they were mentioning that there would be an increase in liner traffic visiting. I am not sure how they would cope with the extra traffic 

It is a vicious circle isn't it.:unsure:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2019/05/02/icy-strait-point-to-add-megaship-dock-as-hoonah-readies-for-hundreds-of-thousands-of-cruise-visitors/

8 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

Very inviting area Martyn. For a moment, I wondered in which scenery you found the second shot...Sometimes, it is getting hard to distinguish virtual from real!!

Thank you Francoise, in SAK they have given Hoonah some extra attention which is a nice surprise.

It gets better every day doesn't it!:)

Archived