A message to Gerold from Alligator Dundee

VH-KDK

Heading off into the Big Bend National Park, Texas.

71TS86o.jpg

Approaching the southern edge of the Chisos Mountains

Now Alligator Dundee's message to Gerold!

You call that a spider?

1257442200_geroldspider4.jpg.8a6f4eb795553a1b7fbf8be586ccdc0c.jpg

THATS a spider!!!!!

J7Wnsmz.jpg

A Tarantula which are very common in the park and the surrounding area.

I hate the Australian Huntsman spiders but I was fascinated by these and was not at all worried by them.

1 hour ago, lifejogger said:

Super shot of the Big Bend area!!!!!!!!!!  I guess you visited the real Big Bend area? 

A lot of people have pet tarantulas for pets here in Texas!!!!!

I love spiders. Would love to have a Tarantula:wub: but she who must be obeyed says "over "your" dead body":unsure::D

On 11/12/2019 at 2:47 AM, lifejogger said:

Super shot of the Big Bend area!!!!!!!!!!  I guess you visited the real Big Bend area? 

A lot of people have pet tarantulas for pets here in Texas!!!!!

Thanks John, yes we spent the week end at Terlingua and did a couple of forays into the park.

I wouldn't mind a pet one but it wouldn't be too special to find an empty tank would it!:lol:

On 11/12/2019 at 3:14 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

You changed your avatar Martyn, I like it.  Did you take that photo in Alaska?  Also, nice shot, I see you are flying the plane of the month, the Tiger Moth.  It would have been good to see a size comparison, people usually use bananas.

Thanks Jack, yes it was close to Haines that I was lucky to see many beautiful Bald Eagles and some quite close.

This is still Ant's freeware Tiger Moth that is a great favourite of mine so I will keep flying it.

I will find a comparison snap I took of the Tarantula.;)

On 11/12/2019 at 4:42 AM, renault said:

Great screenshot Martyn. I have always liked the tiger moth:)

Sorry I don't do spiders - nasty experience and a long time in hospital when I was young after an encounter 

with a brown recluse while on holiday.

Cheers

R

I don't blame you R, they are not the world's most loved creature are they especially when they can put you in hospital.

These were the only spiders I saw on my trip and it was nice to walk through forests knowing that the trees were not infested with huge huntsmen.:o:ph34r::ph34r:

On 11/12/2019 at 5:33 AM, adambar said:

Nice shot Martyn! Not a big fan of spiders, especially those big brown ones,and the black widows I see around here.:D

I hate huntsmen as they are big and fast but we get plenty of Red Backs in the garage and garden which is our version of the Black Widow.:o

16 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Nice shot Martyn.

As for arachnids ...................... :D

Thank you Laurie, nuff sed!:lol:

I am surprised with the lack of horrendous arachnids when I visit Thailand, I guess I am lucky and stay in the right place.

What about Penang?

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Laurie, nuff sed!:lol:

I am surprised with the lack of horrendous arachnids when I visit Thailand, I guess I am lucky and stay in the right place.

What about Penang?

Must admit, have never seen any large spiders here.  Mostly quite small "jumpers".  Other than that, not much.

2 hours ago, lauriebe said:

Must admit, have never seen any large spiders here.  Mostly quite small "jumpers".  Other than that, not much.

I usually stay north of Bangkok but now I can remember visiting my brother in law who lived in the Thai part of Pattaya well away from "Farangville," and there were too many nasty large spiders for my complete enjoyment. Many were like the Huntsmen we get here.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Believe it or not, Martyn: I have not seen this post, although the title could have been attracting me :rollmyeyes:.

Honestly, the title attracts me more than the furry friend you have met during your travel. I would not put her onto the list "animals you need to cuddle before you die", and maybe she would even shorten that time frame :o.

To be honest Gerold I thought you were arachnophobe and was unable to look or comment on it!:lol:

They do bite and I think it is slightly poisonous but not dangerous.:huh:

However I was very fascinated looking at them trundling across the terrain but I did not fell like handling them.':)

Some do actually have a defence where they detach the hairs on their abdomen with their hind legs causing irritation.:o

Archived