REX Simulation – Flight Sim 2020 Survey Results

John Heaton

I came across this MS survey and it makes some interesting findings in a fair Marketing sample

https://forms.office.com/Pages/AnalysisPage.aspx?id=5PDm-Xzh602JiRd9URMT-D4d8mhNOBVJvyJ_LE9U175UODNCQzhLWUNLUkdKVDVFMURERlZJTElUTS4u&AnalyzerToken=Thui4ELjCJumDtUHu5HIaijMLnm0YP95

maybe someone can point a better way to view??

(Somehow not surprised at the prority for airports - despite all the wailing on here the last few weeks!)

I find it interesting that they are even asking about the reaction IF they decide not to involve 3rd party addons. Is this still a valid question? For real? Haven’t they learned that lesson?

I don't know how the sample was selected (it appears to be just a random number) but there is a question in my mind as to whether these results are statistically valid. While I generally agree with the responses from the perspective of a long-time simmer, I certainly wouldn't make any multi-million dollar marketing decisions based on these data. And I, too, am amazed that the third-party issue is even mentioned......Doug

Hello,

I do not see anywhere a claim that this has anything to do with Microsoft.

It is presented on a "Microsoft Form" but anthing can be.

In any event, company policy would be unlikely to be formed on the basis of

640 samples, a niche hobby though this may be.

Like the rest of the hot air surrounding this project, unless it is clearly from Microsoft

it is best treated with a pinch of salt.

Microsoft themselves are using a very large number of words in their announcements

to say very little indeed.

Thanks.

Here is the link, always useful when posting other content.

It limits the speculation to the content instead of the source

as well.

There are several hundred posts of speculation about the potential

new simulator at the Avsim forum and no doubt many others.

As this forum is really intended for Orbx products and their relationship

to the simulators that they are made for, I would ask that if speculation

is entertaining for you, that you visit them instead.

Thanks.

• Nick Cooper changed the title to REX Simulation – Flight Sim 2020 Survey Results
3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

the hot air surrounding this project,

A lot of hot air I agree but it is fun :smile: ! I mean, look, it is summer time and hot, shooting the breeze on forums with fellow simmers is just what we need besides a little swim and a little flying ! And it could send messages to the FS20 when they are at an early stage, without too many illusions but still... And I’ve to say most the participants at Avsim behave themselves this time around.

Hot air is under-rated. After all, the first manned flights were in montgolfières :D!

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that it was a survey conducted by Microsoft. I would like to think that the new MFS is a fresh start without having to worry about backwards compatibility with existing addons (which is actually irrelevant to me, since I use P3D).

44 minutes ago, dominique said:

A lot of hot air I agree but it is fun :smile: ! I mean, look, it is summer time and hot, shooting the breeze on forums with fellow simmers is just what we need besides a little swim and a little flying ! And it could send messages to the FS20 when they are at an early stage, without too many illusions but still... And I’ve to say most the participants at Avsim behave themselves this time around.

Hot air is under-rated. After all, the first manned flights were in montgolfières :D!

What on god's green earth are you doing in front of your computer mate , when just a stone's throw away are some of the most beautiful people in the world in various stages of disrobement . I mean it is the "French Riviera" right .....:banghead::D:oB):lol:

John

4 hours ago, dominique said:

Maybe the title of this thread should be corrected. It is not a Microsoft survey and shouldn't be spread as such.

This is where I got the info to start this thread and MY source

https://digitalflightwire.com/rex-simulations-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-survey-results/

I thought this was considered a reputable software company - (even JV uses it) and that it might be of some use to the members 

of this Forum - and presented in The General Discussion for what it might - or might not be worth.

Maybe when Microsoft comes on air today - the 22nd with their latest update maybe a little clearer

Quite honestly - as a marketing man from way back - these are exactly the questions MS should be asking - and the sample number 

is reasonable as a quick measure of the temperature out there - and exactly as I would have answered them.

The question on paying a fee as opposed to downloads is typical a MS X- Box approach to subscription gaming

If the powers that be wish to change the title - then please do so

17 minutes ago, BradB said:

Not in front of my computer, John, I am on my iPhone by my pool with my beautiful  wife and beautiful cat, listening to Pokey Lafarge and posting or tweeting. And quite disrobed too B) (within reason !) . 

47 minutes ago, BradB said:

What on god's green earth are you doing in front of your computer mate , when just a stone's throw away are some of the most beautiful people in the world in various stages of disrobement . I mean it is the "French Riviera" right .....:banghead::D:oB):lol:

John

Been there...done that...and I agree. One of God's gifts to us all. If I were there now I wouldn't even own a computer.............

13 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Been there...done that...and I agree. One of God's gifts to us all. If I were there now I wouldn't even own a computer.............

Well, you know, after a while watching the most beautiful people in the world in various stages of disrobment gets boring too, -_-:lol:.I like my computer.

The Côte d'Azur has become the Florida of France, lots of older Parisians retiring there (like me). Except that we don't have the Cuban folks down here  but North Africans. I liked Miami. Went there a couple of times. Long ago though. 

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

John we can discuss at length (or rather not :lol:) the relevance of the poll (questions, sampling, methodology) but it is not a Microsoft  poll and that makes a lot of difference. Rex is indeed a honorable company.  

8 hours ago, BradB said:

John

:lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, dominique said:

John we can discuss at length (or rather not :lol:) the relevance of the poll (questions, sampling, methodology) but it is not a Microsoft  poll and that makes a lot of difference. Rex is indeed a honorable company.  

I don't think I said it was a Microsoft poll - but in any case - it was a poll - with interesting results  

This was placed by me on a "Public - General Discussion Forum" for interest sake of those who may wish to discuss it

or just take note of some salient pointers as to what the future may hold in our flight sim world - a world that I have been in 

since the FS in Commodore 64 that MS took over.

For what it's worth - here's my take on the results - of a poll taken from "Microsoft Insiders" - ( a list known only to Microsoft )??

A Guess?? - Microsoft have stressed that they want the opinion of 3rd party suppliers - REX is a major 3rd party supplier 

and why shouldn't they take a poll - its in their interest also - (I'll bet JV is not ignoring it).

Someone questioned the provenance of a sample of 640 participants. In terms of a marketing analysis (based for arguments sake

on the users of Orbx  - I read somewhere a fig.of 64 K)  -- a sample of 1% is a little small - 2% would be better - but we don't know

the membership of MS Insiders!!

I am an avid Orbx user - ever since we installed Vos 1 - and still have the receipts to prove it - and no other add-ons

- so why should'nt  -  I /We examine a poll of FS enthusiasts - (MS insiders by application) - to see where our beloved Orbx stands in 

the future of - let's face it - the possible predominant Flight Sim.

MS have kicked Dovetail  into touch - but retain the relationship with Steam - who are marketing the new sim referred to in this forum 2 days ago

Microsoft already have the subscription game process already in operation in Xbox - (I subscribe $10 per month for the use of 100 games)

- and now they are starting to offer the same games on a PC with W10. The new sim will be on X-Box as well with Thrustmaster controller

They probably know how the DLC Gameplay works as well as the Russians with their warfare games and purchasing add ons -(3rd party)

Lets face it - we already purchase a basic Sim - and then buy an inordinate amount of aircraft and scenery add-ons

One noticeable result of the poll was the emphasis on aircraft quality - way ahead of the importance of scenery and airports - which probably shows 

that we are into FS for the accuracy of flying -  - controls and instruments - navigation - and the element of air traffic control - just as some of us were taught

to fly real aircraft - hopefully more safely than we are on a the Sim.

(My grand children fly around on Google maps without a sim)

Microsoft can eat up the Carenados - Albeos - and yes - even Just Flight - at the drop of a hat full of $s - to carry out their DLC policies.

to satisfy this particular result.

Now to scenery - MS has been working with someone in the past few months. The screen shots - and video clips on the website - indicate a working relationship 

with someone --- indicated by the quality of the "Clouds" - and "Photoreal" scenery. I cant pick the geo position of one video flying over a city - to compare it with a Sat pic

but it is very much a "BING" pic - since Google have stuffed up theirs with the 3 D effort.

MS own Bing and have a nose in the geosats needed for Bing. We may hazard a guess as to where the basis of MSFX scenery might very well come from.

We have already read elsewhere the idea put forward that our scenery will actually be used in real time - i.e. a base Sim install - and internet stream from somebody's cloud.

I noted 2 days ago - a comment in this forum  with regard to a new sim using VR - with the scenery -probably Bing - being used in realtime by this new sim company - who is owned by we know not??. I am surprised that more comments were not made on the subject. (I am not buying a 4 T SSd just yet - although to use UK TE @ 300gb + - I am in the market for a 1 T SSD)

Whoops!!! - did I mention VR???

A fortunate few of you simmers already own computers with all the bells and whistles - and we who really want to be in the sharp end of FS - which I suggest is where MS is offering an

alternative way to fly in a simulated environment - will just have to get into the wallet. I9 overclocked and 2080 will only be the min entry - an we can bet Samsung etc are already noting this potential and maybe working with MS to produce a VR unit for X-box - for MS to catch up with PS4 in the VR area.

Ok1 - enoughs enough - that's my take on this poll that some might wish ignore -  Personally - @ 84 YO - this simmer will be very lucky to try all this out - and if time is not the essence - then the depth of my pocket will surely be

John

As you quote me, just a few words, John. 

Interesting thoughts but I said that I’d rather not comment  : I’ve a low opinion of that kind of polls in general and Orbx doesn't seem too keen of us having that kind of discussion for reasons we can understand.

Like I said yesterday it was a poll on REX.. Participants were part of the REX Insider program.. A bit like BETA we try something before it gets released.. Usually updates.. It was done using a Microsoft app or program .. I guess REX were looking at their customers and getting their views.. I know as I was involved... 

Now can we move on to the next please.. 

Archived