Do these look okay? Oregon HD

Jack Sawyer

2 minutes ago, BradB said:

They seem just little bit off to me Jack , but I've only got two flights under my belt with OR . Hopefully somebody from Orbx can shed more light on the situation . :unsure::(:D

Cheers

John

Thanks John, I had this odd blue color between the trees too.  It looked fine yesterday :rolleyes::unsure:

Since you asked, I'll be picky, hopefully in a useful way:)

Some of them look good & some of them look a bit off to me Jack.

What time of the day were they shot?

#1 is showing ground blurr or flatness that i would expect more in SD. [ie, i would expect HD to be sharper at that distance]

#5 & 6 seem to be running a slight  dark blue tint, but i can't talk i have lilac at times.

The last one has odd ground blurriness under the trees to the right, but i have noticed this in many publicity shots, I suspect its an LR issue. 

Most are pretty good, but the odd one looks to be a bit 'dark', ie, need a bit of sunlight in there? [eg, last 3 shots]

Have you tweaked any add ons recently?

TTM

6 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Since you asked, I'll be picky, hopefully in a useful way:)

Some of them look good & some of them look a bit off to me Jack.

What time of the day were they shot?

#1 is showing ground blurr or flatness that i would expect more in SD. [ie, i would expect HD to be sharper at that distance]

#5 & 6 seem to be running a slight  dark blue tint, but i can't talk i have lilac at times.

The last one has odd ground blurriness under the trees to the right, but i have noticed this in many publicity shots, I suspect its an LR issue. 

Most are pretty good, but the odd one looks to be a bit 'dark', ie, need a bit of sunlight in there? [eg, last 3 shots]

Have you tweaked any add ons recently?

TTM

Thanks TTM, I haven't changed anything since yesterday.  No Windows updates, no XP updates, no plane updates, no Orbx updates, same xVision preset, and ASXP running, all the exact same as yesterday.  I'm baffled as all I did was turn of the PC and go to bed, got up and made this flight and now things are different.  Wish I knew, XP is a strange duck.

In case I get dropped off your Xmas Card List, or refused a ride in the 2020 Corvette you have on order - I thought I should offer some practical assistance ilo bald criticism:)

I use a freeware program to crop & tweak shots, if required.

Its IrfanView, from IrfanView.com

I open it & go to File/Open which opens file manager & I find the image I want to work on.

I open the image & if I think it looks too dark I go to top row menu -  'Image'

Then way down the Image drop down menu is 'Auto-adjust Color'

I click on that & the image changes, [usually lightens up].

If I don't like the change I hit a back arrow to get to original.

If  I like the new image I save it.

1st shot below is not color adjusted. 2nd is, per method i described.

If you can wrestle Irfanview on to your PC you perhaps could try putting 1 of the last 3 shots above into Irfanview, do "Auto-adjust colors' & see if you are happier with the result.

I don't use it all that often & use it more in P3D than XP.

Another option could be to have a lok at some older shots you have taken [assuming they are saved], say in last couple of days , ones you were happy with, & see how they look now in whatever you use to view them.

Good luck.

TTM

LK4Os0N.jpg

A0HwT73.jpg

I

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks John, I had this odd blue color between the trees too.  It looked fine yesterday :rolleyes::unsure:

Jack I get this pinkish tint color and also the blue between the trees too in some areas of TE Oregon.  I think the color of the orthos is off.  One area is fine the next one not.  If you're flying in the evening or night you can't see it of course.

1 minute ago, Breeze said:

Jack I get this pinkish tint color and also the blue between the trees too in some areas of TE Oregon.  I think the color of the orthos is off.  One area is fine the next one not.  If you're flying in the evening or night you can't see it of course.

Thanks Jimmy, I did a “Verify Files” and am now flying over HD TE Oregon and it looks fantastic, crisp as can be.

13 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

In case I get dropped off your Xmas Card List, or refused a ride in the 2020 Corvette you have on order - I thought I should offer some practical assistance ilo bald criticism:)

I use a freeware program to crop & tweak shots, if required.

Its IrfanView, from IrfanView.com

I open it & go to File/Open which opens file manager & I find the image I want to work on.

I open the image & if I think it looks too dark I go to top row menu -  'Image'

Then way down the Image drop down menu is 'Auto-adjust Color'

I click on that & the image changes, [usually lightens up].

If I don't like the change I hit a back arrow to get to original.

If  I like the new image I save it.

1st shot below is not color adjusted. 2nd is, per method i described.

If you can wrestle Irfanview on to your PC you perhaps could try putting 1 of the last 3 shots above into Irfanview, do "Auto-adjust colors' & see if you are happier with the result.

I don't use it all that often & use it more in P3D than XP.

Another option could be to have a lok at some older shots you have taken [assuming they are saved], say in last couple of days , ones you were happy with, & see how they look now in whatever you use to view them.

Good luck.

TTM

LK4Os0N.jpg

A0HwT73.jpg

I

I see, I just post straight shots, don’t have time to process, but if I did as I usually do with my comics I use Affinity Photo for my iMac.  

I’m making a flight now over HD TE Oregon and it looks fantastic.  Had real weather on but at 5400 feet it was solid clouds so I shut it off.  But it looks fabulous!

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Jack

Sorry I am a bit late to the party, but I spent a bit of time trying to duplicate a part of your journey. Hopefully this will give you a bit more insight and also some comparison.

I hope that you don't mind -- I was not trying to hijack your thread, but to give you some added info for comparison. Maybe with your updated TE Oregon, you could duplicate what I did.

In terms of colour rendering what I am using is very simple.  BTW +1 for TTM's suggestion on Infanview. I have used it for years and find it to be excellent.

This is all TE Oregon SD,

So what I did:

Sky colour set is Vivid 1.02 freeware from the org.
 XVision main colour rendering is simply Vibrance at 0.25 
   Sun lighting is turned off in XVision
   Bit of cloud enhancement which basically doesn't apply
   I am using my shadow .lua file which is in the tips & techniques
   Show building/scenery casting shadows is ON
   SSAO (ambient occulision is ON)

AA - full right . This actually affects the colour rendering as the way full screen super sampling anti aliasing works (SSAA), the more samples that    are taken results in more colour information and less averaging of colour info into a smaller number of cells.

So that's it. Overall I would say that it looks like your images are a bit darker than mine , however some of the odd colours in some areas I also believe I see. I think that colour matching of orthophotos is a real art and very difficult for the Orbx developers and overall I think that they have done a superb job.

Hopefully this will help , or you may just want to duplicate this section as with my poor navigation skills the best I could do
is follow the I5 . :(

It was basically like a Roman road - dead straight from Eugene to Albany so that helped.:)

If you want to discuss any aspects in more detail please just PM 
Thank you

Pete

Hobby airport

53btIcS.jpg

Creswell Daytime - basic rendering check (I brought the time back to about noon)

eJvWLEd.jpg

Late afternoon - in my experience this is when lighting conditions can make rendering quite difficult

dzuYWps.jpg

Now starting to head north following the I5

hLRMLwJ.jpg

Over Eugene

2M9GwQb.jpg

Trying to match your lighting conditions I do notice that some of the green ground cover does seem a bit off

j7o4XFG.jpg

But then a short distance along and it looks quite natural ....

O1CEP7r.jpg

Orthophoto colour matching is a very hard task. I think overall they have done a superb job

12e87Uu.jpg

Bit of a "panoramic" view -- to me it looks very realistic

3fHuUWk.jpg

I suspect that the color differences between fields are due to irrigation and also crop maturity

v9tn1iW.jpg

Taking a "bigger picture view" again, to me it looks quite realistic

rizyaHX.jpg

Now just approaching Albany

x5I05Es.jpg

Albany 1

f9WRWEN.jpg

Albany 2

qa6KvGb.jpg

They look a tad darkish to me especially in a no cloud situation.  What time of day was selected?  A thing I've noticed is an large amount of Austin's haze which isn't, I hope, anything to do with the TE scenery.  Try some of Renault's magic and show us what you get.

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks @renault Pete.  All I use is xVision with the Nordic preset modified with your radioactive trees edit.

I use only ASXP for weather with no post processing, all my shots in both sims are straight “V” shots.

Hi Jack

Sorry if you misunderstood. These are all straight "V" key. Actually everything I do is. I've never post processed anything. What you see is what you get

good & bad 

My comment regarding Infranview was  because I use it for other things - color correction of photos etc. I found it to be an excellent tool which is all the comment was intended to be

I don't have a weather plug in -- the clouds are just what XPlane generates. I did forget that I use the tree fix, but in terms of a "preset" its only just vibrance and some cloud adjustments in XVision , which don't apply because I set everything to clear weather.

Which brings up a point. XPlane sets visibility to 25 mi (40 km) when you set clear weather. XPlane also drops the lighting levels with the visibility slider , so leaving it at the default setting will make the screen image noticeably darker. Even with clouds, visibility will affect  lighting levels. So as a matter of course I always check and make sure it is set up high enough that it isn't impacting lighting. I have no idea what ASXP does with visibility & clear weather.

Sorry for any confusion/misunderstanding.

Cheers

Pete

I have the same purple issue also, specifically around where I live KHIO.

I installed the HD version ... perhaps I'll try the SD version but based on Pete's screen shots I see some purple there also.  Here is the same area from Google Earth that I flew around in my video in my thread:

uc?id=1BMRUEAiEjO1_ih6eCz3TEe6sldz836RS

Looks like grays got shifted to purple.

Cheers, Rob.

22 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

They look a tad darkish to me especially in a no cloud situation.  What time of day was selected?  A thing I've noticed is an large amount of Austin's haze which isn't, I hope, anything to do with the TE scenery.  Try some of Renault's magic and show us what you get.

They were taken at around 1400 PM :D

22 minutes ago, renault said:

Hi Jack

Sorry if you misunderstood. These are all straight "V" key. Actually everything I do is. I've never post processed anything. What you see is what you get

good & bad 

My comment regarding Infranview was  because I use it for other things - color correction of photos etc. I found it to be an excellent tool which is all the comment was intended to be

I don't have a weather plug in -- the clouds are just what XPlane generates. I did forget that I use the tree fix, but in terms of a "preset" its only just vibrance and some cloud adjustments in XVision , which don't apply because I set everything to clear weather.

Which brings up a point. XPlane sets visibility to 25 mi (40 km) when you set clear weather. XPlane also drops the lighting levels with the visibility slider , so leaving it at the default setting will make the screen image noticeably darker. Even with clouds, visibility will affect  lighting levels. So as a matter of course I always check and make sure it is set up high enough that it isn't impacting lighting. I have no idea what ASXP does with visibility & clear weather.

Cheers

Pete

Not a [problem Pete, I consider you to be one of the preeminent experts on all things XP and especially color palettes and LUT's.

I'm fixin' to post another 27, and they look much better. 

No purple either.

10 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I installed the HD version ... perhaps I'll try the SD version but based on Pete's screen shots I see some purple there also.  Here is the same area from Google Earth that I flew around in my video in my thread:

I saw your thread Rob, I don't think mine is as deep purple as your's though but it does seem interesting.

Like I said above, I'm about to post 27 more where I flew all around Oregon in HD and they look fantastic.  

All I did was a "Verify Files" and ran it through xOrganizer.

16 minutes ago, ZoSoChile said:

It appears a few areas where not properly color corrected. I noticed this is the trailer. This clashes with the colors of the trees. Like Rob said, it might be a plugin issue??

The only plug in I use is the friction one.

11 hours ago, renault said:

Hi Jack

good & bad 

Cheers

Pete

Pete

I have searched but can't find the 'tree fix' description. Could you kindly repost which add on & the setting to enable the fix?

Thanks

TTM

31 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Pete

I have searched but can't find the 'tree fix' description. Could you kindly repost which add on & the setting to enable the fix?

Thanks

TTM

Here you go. Xplane 11 Tips & Techniques right at the top.

Cheers

14 minutes ago, renault said:

Here you go. Xplane 11 Tips & Techniques right at the top.

Cheers

Pete

Another one - you say re Jack's pics above, "xVision main color rendering is simply Vibrance at  0.25"

I can't find where you tweak that in xVision.

Thanks

TTM

33 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Pete

Another one - you say re Jack's pics above, "xVision main color rendering is simply Vibrance at  0.25"

I can't find where you tweak that in xVision.

Thanks

TTM

Thought I included that in my answer -'Global Stage Post Processing - 2 items VIBRANCE .25 SHARPENING .15.

46 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Thought I included that in my answer -'Global Stage Post Processing - 2 items VIBRANCE .25 SHARPENING .15.

Who are you?:rolleyes:

Are you Pete?

I wondered why Renault was suddenly Pete:)

Apologies, these multi quote threads have me losing the thread/plot.

I'm going back to P3D. Life is simpler there.:)

TTM

Archived