Pet Hate

There are many, many useful videos available to help us get familiar with new aircraft....

BUT in too many of these there has been no rehearsal.  We follow the wanderings, the buts and maybes of the commentator while they learn the aircraft.  To me it is totally frustrating as the mouse pointer waves across the instruments in a random search pattern for the correct switch, and the speaker mumbles ah, oh and sorry.  To use a professional phrase the production values are very poor.

I hope someone will notice these and other similar comments, and more preparation will go into the productions.

Well, unless it is a Carenado aircraft addon, usually something called MANUAL comes along with it and includes example flights with written instructions down to each single button you have to press. Personally, I load them on my tablet and have the document next to my computer when flying the first time with a new aircraft addon. Then I start in cold and dark mode and I go through the manual step by step. YT videos I only use for entertainment or for getting a first impression about the aircraft. Never for learning procedures, as they are usually quiet individual, as you stated.

Hey Ankh, I do pretty much the same, but my grouch was a more general one.  I get irritated watching vids for which no rehearsal or planning has been done.  I guess we may not have the same views but I would be reluctant to make a video without a fair bit of planning and being thoroughly familiar with the aircraft.  In that case it would mean one less You Tube video that was not recorded and distributed in the rough.

I guess this is how those vids are made nowadays. It is meant to be entertainment. People post vids of whatever they are doing, without any claim of anything. Means: they show exactly what they want to show: how they use the novel aircraft addon for the first time, including all mistakes they do. Not for others to show HOW to use the addon...

23 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I guess this is how those vids are made nowadays. It is meant to be entertainment. People post vids of whatever they are doing, without any claim of anything. Means: they show exactly what they want to show: how they use the novel aircraft addon for the first time, including all mistakes they do. Not for others to show HOW to use the addon...

I don't totally agree with all your comments. There are simmers out there that don't have your level of interlectt, and don't fully understand the manuals, so to these guys/gals a video can be extremely helpful, which is why they use the heading "Tutorial", which I personally don't put into the catory of "entertainment". Having said that, I agree with Macca that not enough preparation goes into most of them and most are unprofessional.

Don

That is a good point, for those people it might be extremely useful. But your argumentation is also rather strange: someone not intelligent enough to read and understand a manual will certainly not be capable of realizing what things are done wrong in such tutorial videos. If you are capable of realizing all those errors and mishandling in the video, this means you should be capable of reading the manuals, no?

Personally I doubt that anyone who is really interested in properly using a complex aircraft addon is unable to use the manual. This is mutually exclusive to me, if you are smart enough to use a PMDG or FSL the way it is meant to be (they are almost real...), you should have no issue whatsoever with reading the manual. If you are not that smart and you would need a tutorial video to understand how the addon plane works, then you might anyway never be able to properly use it. Sounds arrogant, but come on. If you just want to understand the basics so you can fly the plane from A to B without going into the details, then yes, a video might be better. But in such a case, the above argument comes into place: for those users, it is not that much of an hassle if the sequence of pushing the buttons is not as it is in reality, it is not that much of an hassle if the video has some flaws, no?

I dont think so, your arguments are totally valid, I just tried to explain why in my point of view todays YT videos are recorded in that way. That this could be improved or that it would be nice if people make "true" tutorial videos, is of course totally correct.

there's a guy on YT from the  UK, Fightorflight, his videos are very scripted and he only talks about what he is doing and why.....I watch his Airbus and Dash tutorials when I need refreshing....No ummms or aahhs or waffle and going of on a tangent, very useful.......I do get fed up when they clearly don't have a clue what they are doing and label it as a tutorial.... personally I like to read and watch a good tutorial on a systems heavy plane and then write a more condensed version for myself, which I then laminate and keep... works for me anyway....

13 hours ago, macca22au said:

There are many, many useful videos available to help us get familiar with new aircraft....

BUT in too many of these there has been no rehearsal.  We follow the wanderings, the buts and maybes of the commentator while they learn the aircraft.  To me it is totally frustrating as the mouse pointer waves across the instruments in a random search pattern for the correct switch, and the speaker mumbles ah, oh and sorry.  To use a professional phrase the production values are very poor.

I hope someone will notice these and other similar comments, and more preparation will go into the productions.

Oh I so agree Mate! It seems to me that many are just trying to be first out of the traps. The one I saw most recently was about the TBM900 where the YT maker tried to get it started and after half an hour just decided to press the auto start keys and then waffled on about the plane not flyable (never heard of setting the trim to counter the prop drag to the left), despite it being in the FM (as in RTFM).

I remember when ORBX TEGB for X-Plane came out and some guy took off from a South Coast airport and then after a few minutes said "and here are the white cliffs of Dover" when in fact he was directly overhead Seaford. Twit!

And to give Q8 Pilot his proper dues and respect, he also took the TBM900 out for a spin, got a few things wrong, and then a week later re-did it correctly, admitting his original errors.

13 hours ago, AnkH said:

That is a good point, for those people it might be extremely useful. But your argumentation is also rather strange: someone not intelligent enough to read and understand a manual will certainly not be capable of realizing what things are done wrong in such tutorial videos. If you are capable of realizing all those errors and mishandling in the video, this means you should be capable of reading the manuals, no?

Personally I doubt that anyone who is really interested in properly using a complex aircraft addon is unable to use the manual. This is mutually exclusive to me, if you are smart enough to use a PMDG or FSL the way it is meant to be (they are almost real...), you should have no issue whatsoever with reading the manual. If you are not that smart and you would need a tutorial video to understand how the addon plane works, then you might anyway never be able to properly use it. Sounds arrogant, but come on. If you just want to understand the basics so you can fly the plane from A to B without going into the details, then yes, a video might be better. But in such a case, the above argument comes into place: for those users, it is not that much of an hassle if the sequence of pushing the buttons is not as it is in reality, it is not that much of an hassle if the video has some flaws, no?

I would also like to add that a lot of aircraft sold to simmers don't have any sort of basic manual, Carenado for instance, so in defense of those making vids, (good or bad), who try to enlighten us, at least they are taking the time to try to help those who need it. Yes, if they are going to do this, they should do their homework first before going on YT and making a hash of it. 

I don't watch the videos either, don't have the patience.

Checklists are good enough for me to get acquainted with new aircraft I don't really need or want to go through manuals. Flight Sim can be trial and error because no one is going to get hurt.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:16 AM, macca22au said:

"the mouse pointer waves across the instruments in a random search pattern for the correct switch" - sounds like me back in my flying days :).  

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

"the mouse pointer waves across the instruments in a random search pattern for the correct switch" - sounds like me back in my flying days :).  

You had switches? Eee lad you were lucky. We only had hamsters running around cages providing a measly erg of power. Not enough juice to flick a switch!

8 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

You had switches? Eee lad you were lucky. We only had hamsters running around cages providing a measly erg of power. Not enough juice to flick a switch!

I had a '46 Cessna 140 - toggle switches galore but not many gauges.  My nav was a Low Freq reciever and comm was a whistle stop tuning vhf.  We did have maps though - came in really handy.

Wish I knew what you clever guys are all talking about.  If I can get the prop' going round I know I'm going to fly....somewhere!

On 5/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, AnkH said:

Nothing  beats a  well written manual , compare to some of those poor videos .  PMDG  is tops  in that regards .  However a combination of both  does not do any harm and each person should  follow  the path in which he is the most comfortable  with.  I for one  use  manuals where possible  , The rational  is  that if  you add other  serious ad dons  like multiple crew experience  you may  come undone with the lack of knowledge  with  procedures. and miss out of some  fantastic  experiences in flying 

Incidentally I have an aircraft  from  Captain Sim ( no  manual available) . As of today  I haven't  been able to fly this aircraft  and the  videos available are not much of a help either . 

Incidentally I have an aircraft  from  Captain Sim ( no  manual available) .

One of my pet hates is misinformation :(, all Captain Sim aircraft have extensive manuals written for them.

If the aircraft model in question is the 757 for P3D v4, then the Sim Ops link in your start menu will take

you to the download page for the manuals.

2.jpg

Even the very latest aircraft product page has a link to the manuals, no purchase required.

3.jpg

Otherwise, they all have a Sim Ops link on their product pages, no purchase is necessary.

1.jpg

My pet hate is when the sim' does something for which there is no explanation like turning the whole thing off when three quarters of the way through a quite enjoyable little flight as its just done to me!!

I'm now fed up and will read my latest historical western story instead.  At least I know I can get to the end of that!

14 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

One of my pet hates is misinformation :(, all Captain Sim aircraft have extensive manuals written for them.

Thank you  Nick to  guide me on the right "Fly path" I did not mean to offend  when I said there is no manual available . I bought  my CS 777.200 several years ago and I  was mesmerized by this beautiful aircraft . However I  got quickly  frustrated by a very poor website  difficult to navigate  and  only 2 manuals available  1 was  for the animation of the  777 and the second  for an identification  of the all instruments,  and that was it . as I said this was several years ago and since I could not  fly it , I hardly  touched my 777

After  your post, I had  another look  at CS  and found  effectively  new  tutorials (dated  version April 2019 ) at least  an  improvement  of what they had originally,  I will now give it another good try .  Thank  you  Nick  for your post , this is really appreciated

Best Regards 

Charles 

I suspect that if they are dated April 2019, then they are written for the new version, just released.

The original version manuals are internally dated 2009, 2013 and two 2014, presumably updated

from the first copy or even added later but still the best part of five years ago.

Here is the link to the original manuals.

https://www.captainsim.com/products/x777/manual.html

Archived