I have made a list of all global airport freeware packs.

Orbxtreme

Hi,

I have made a comprehensive list of all Orbx global airport freeware packs. I use it to plan my virtual flights. The list include all the NA packs, EU packs and other countries around the world. It is by alphabetical order. For the USA, it is divided by states. For Canada, by provinces from west to east. If the Orbx developers or members see a mistake or something missing, please send me a message in my inbox. Hope it can be useful to you. For now, it is in English. The French version will follow. Here is the link: https://francoisouellet.ca/en/orbx-global-freeware-pack-list/

58 minutes ago, JMBIII said:

Only one "mistake" I noticed  - KSEZ Sedona is payware.

Thanks for the list ! It will get some use from me !

Thanks for the info. There are a few payware now that were formerly in the freeware packs. As I have bought Sedona as a payware, I do not know if there is still a freeware version, or if the freeware version stop existing as soon as a payware is made. So that is the reason why I hesitate to cancel the Sedona entry. Maybe somebody from Orbx can tell me if all the former freewares that have become paywares stop to exist as freewares, or if there are two parallel versions that still work?

1 hour ago, Aharon said:

You said on your ORBX freeware list that Orbx PADQ Kiodak airport is freeware by ORBX but I cannot find it on official freeware download center of ORBX??

I found Kodiak in the NA packs. There is also a link showing it: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PE1hbOnyNuZ5ynpoNmYsEPDi6Ao&ll=57.80263236794152%2C-152.37040786595367&z=14

You must log in into orbxdirect and head to the Freeware section, then click on Global Airport Packs. It's free. Keep me posted if you cannot find it, I will simulate a flight there to check this out.

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Wow! Thanks for this, very much appreciated!

I believe there is an ORBX freeware Sedona that gets overwritten when you install the payware version if you have it.

There are just a few freeware files that have become payware with time, if I remember correctly. I will erase them tonight from the list and if proven wrong, it is not going to be a problem to add them back.

You missed two in northern Arizona that I have noticed:

KPGA  Page

L41      Marble Canyon

KBHB   Bar Harbor is now payware, as is KACK Nantucket, which is in Massachusetts, not Maine.

Ken

2 hours ago, Ken Q said:

You missed two in northern Arizona that I have noticed:

KPGA  Page

L41      Marble Canyon

KBHB   Bar Harbor is now payware, as is KACK Nantucket, which is in Massachusetts, not Maine.

Ken

Thanks for the info, I am going to correct that.

Hi,

I have taken all your suggestions into account. Everything has been corrected. I also noticed that a few states in the USA were not in alphabetical order; that has been corrected too.

This is a nice list, and thank you for compiling it. ORBX provides one of their own, but your 's is good because it is sorted by location (state, province,etc.). There are a few errors, which I'm sure I be noted over time.  That said:

KOLD is in Maine, not Massachusetts.

Missing:

KUUU.  Newport, RI

KSFZ, North Central State, RI

But this is great, and thanks for sharing it.

Ken

47 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

This is a nice list, and thank you for compiling it. ORBX provides one of their own, but your 's is good because it is sorted by location (state, province,etc.). There are a few errors, which I'm sure I be noted over time.  That said:

KOLD is in Maine, not Massachusetts.

Missing:

KUUU.  Newport, RI

KSFZ, North Central State, RI

But this is great, and thanks for sharing it.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I am correcting those errors tonight.

10 hours ago, Aharon said:

You said on your ORBX freeware list that Orbx PADQ Kiodak airport is freeware by ORBX but I cannot find it on official freeware download center of ORBX??

PADQ was (and still is) included in the Orbx Global Airports freeware section that includes airports from around the world.  It's not a separate download.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c506f96fd7dd15df8d3c6810c0a656e7.jpg

Nice work, François! This is quite an undertaking! Thanks! :) I noticed some airports in North Carolina and Virginia missing from the list; I'll send you a message with a list of them.

4 hours ago, BPL said:

Nice work, François! This is quite an undertaking! Thanks! :) I noticed some airports in North Carolina and Virginia missing from the list; I'll send you a message with a list of them.

Thanks for the list, I am adding those airports in a few minutes.

1 hour ago, JJJackson said:

Is it possible to get the list as an dowloadable version or have I missed something?

Jack

the swede in Spain

You certainly did not missed anything Jack. There was just a plain list. But I have now included a PDF file (just learned how to do it 5 minute ago). So if you head down at the end of the list, there is a link in green. Just click on it, it opens as a PDF file. In the upper right corner, you have the possibility to click on "print" or "download". You decide! Have fun! I will correct the text in the web page to indicate where the link is to be found. Regards.

59 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

You certainly did not missed anything Jack. There was just a plain list. But I have now included a PDF file (just learned how to do it 5 minute ago). So if you head down at the end of the list, there is a link in green. Just click on it, it opens as a PDF file. In the upper right corner, you have the possibility to click on "print" or "download". You decide! Have fun! I will correct the text in the web page to indicate where the link is to be found. Regards.

Thanks a lot. 

Glad you like Greg.

I will keep it updated and change the PDF version accordingly. After a while, there will be less corrections to make and the new PDF version will get in line with the annual ORBX edition of new airport freewares. Now I need to find the names of every creator of the airports involved, so as to include them in the list. Designing airports is a lengthy process; those guys have the complicated job, not me.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PE1hbOnyNuZ5ynpoNmYsEPDi6Ao&ll=48.232528907412885%2C-70.26825657435495&z=3

Anything such as this map been updated? I like to use a map to plan flights. Right away noticed that KDNL (home base) has been omitted, unless updates have caused once freeware airports to be omitted now. Wish there was an official KMZ file updated by the freeware creators whenever a new update is released. No complaints though! Thanks all for the wonderful works!

A question: I downloaded and let FTX install the pack months ago but I hadn't explored mainly because I didn't have a list.

Thanks to your list, I started exploring yesterday, but each airport I visited had not been improved.

I checked the Scenery Library and FTX seems to have placed the pack down at level 65.

Where should I move it to, in a well populated library (how far up should I move it)?

Aussie

Those are good questions and comments. All I can talk about here is what I know and it is the list I have created and intend to update. I started with all the NA packs and EU packs on hand, then added the corrections that people sent me. I then realized that on the map, there was even more airports to be included in the list and that is what I am doing these days, trying to reflect exactly what the map shows.

In about a week, I will install an updated version of the list on my website, with a lot more airports. I will announce it so there is no confusion. In step 2, I will add the payware (in blue) and the freewares that were not part of the Global Pack freewares (in green). As soon as possible, I will add beside each airport the runway orientation and the dimensions. I like to plan a flight ahead, knowing which aircraft to choose according to the length of a runway and its orientation. It's nice to practice crosswind landings.

Essentially, I am building this list for my personal use, but since it is so time consuming to build, I have decided to offer it as download, with updated versions. As for the airports that are supposed to have been improved and are not (for whatever reason), the rule for me is simple: when I discover that the airport is not improved, whatever the map says, I erase it from the list. So far, it has not happened to me. I am sorry that I cannot help you more for now.:(

Adding a notation of runway length will be very useful, especially when you get to the payware ones.  I have long wished that ORBX include this information in the airport listing.  Also you might consider noting the runway construction, whether asphalt, turf, or even just hard surface, turf or gravel. I fly either the Mooney or the C210, and avoid short runways or turf.

Ken

2 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Adding a notation of runway length will be very useful, especially when you get to the payware ones.  I have long wished that ORBX include this information in the airport listing.  Also you might consider noting the runway construction, whether asphalt, turf, or even just hard surface, turf or gravel. I fly either the Mooney or the C210, and avoid short runways or turf.

Ken

Not a bad idea, I was considering it and had not decided on it yet. I think I will go for it. But you have to understand that it is a lengthy project and that there are lots of airports to consider. I already have added 90 airports (as of 11:00 this morning) to the next revision of freeware airports. Those are mostly from Canada, and especially Alberta (+50). As I am correcting the list, I am adding the paywares in blue and the freewares not included in the Global Pack are in green (like Claresholm Industrial in Alberta that was made by Vlad Maly). I guess that by next week, there will possibly be 200 new airports to the list. Do you have a preference of States when you fly?

Hi Francois,

Thanks, and I know it will take time.  Right now I' flying the west coast, anywhere in the PloitEdge covered regions.  That is ORBX PNW, NorCal, SoCal, Northern and Central Rockies.  Eventually I'll fly back home to my base in the Northeast US, which will involve a trip across the continent in approximately 100 mile legs (takes about a month).

I have most of the U.S. payware airports , except for those that I can't comfortable fly in and out of with the Mooney Bravo or the CT 210 Centurion.  Before a purchase from ORBX I check an airport out on SkyVector.

Of course all of the  airports in a region are upgraded and enhanced, though the level of detail varies.

This is good project, and your color coding is a great idea.  Thanks for taking it on.

Ken

2 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Hi Francois,

Thanks, and I know it will take time.  Right now I' flying the west coast, anywhere in the PloitEdge covered regions.  That is ORBX PNW, NorCal, SoCal, Northern and Central Rockies.  Eventually I'll fly back home to my base in the Northeast US, which will involve a trip across the continent in approximately 100 mile legs (takes about a month).

I have most of the U.S. payware airports , except for those that I can't comfortable fly in and out of with the Mooney Bravo or the CT 210 Centurion.  Before a purchase from ORBX I check an airport out on SkyVector.

Of course all of the  airports in a region are upgraded and enhanced, though the level of detail varies.

This is good project, and your color coding is a great idea.  Thanks for taking it on.

Ken

Got it. What the list will give you is that you choose a State to start from, and you already know that it is an improved airport, whatever the number of details (it is always better than the basic airport). Then you look for the type of experience you want that day. Beside each improved airport is the runway condition, orientation, length and width. All on one page, no search. You can then immediately decide what type of acft you will use. Finally, having the winds at destination, you can decide if the runway you're looking for fits what you want (a lot of crosswind with a narrow runway, or no crosswind at all). No search needed, it is all in front of you on one page. Quick and easy. Every day that it rains here, I stopped the patio project and I work a couple of hours on the list. Lots of fun but not exactly a speedy process! ^_^

4 hours ago, macca22au said:

Thank you, it is a great resource.

My pleasure. I've already added 183 airports to the next update. I'll possibly have close to 300 additions when the first update is completed (for the coming week). I've started to include the paywares (in blue) and the other freewares not part of the global pack (in green). It's going well.

11 minutes ago, larryisenor said:

Thanks Francois:

The list is a great resource and includes a lot of information (Runways etc.)

Larry

That is a pleasure Larry. That is nothing compared to the time you put on these airports!

On 5/13/2019 at 4:41 PM, Orbxtreme said:

I found Kodiak in the NA packs. There is also a link showing it: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PE1hbOnyNuZ5ynpoNmYsEPDi6Ao&ll=57.80263236794152%2C-152.37040786595367&z=14

You must log in into orbxdirect and head to the Freeware section, then click on Global Airport Packs. It's free. Keep me posted if you cannot find it, I will simulate a flight there to check this out.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:52 AM, Rob Abernathy said:

PADQ was (and still is) included in the Orbx Global Airports freeware section that includes airports from around the world.  It's not a separate download.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c506f96fd7dd15df8d3c6810c0a656e7.jpg

Thanks to @Orbxtreme and @Rob Abernathy for answers!!  Sorry and my apologies for very late reply.

@Rob Abernathy,  Do I know you from somewhere on Internet?  Your name looks VERY VERY familiar to me in flight simming circles but I cannot recall.

Regards,

Aharon

• 7 months later...

Archived