Orlando City Scene My Thoughts

Ticker7

Hi Guys, I'd just like to say a few things re the New Orlando scenery and all the problems people are having (including Myself.)

Firstly from a users perspective there IS a problem, whether it's the size of the object lib or some other file that is causing these long load times, systems locking up or giving blue screens there is no denying it.

I have EVERY scenery and cityscape you have produced and NEVER have I had to disable ANY of them to run one or to fly anywhere in the world, now while I agree this is a work of art, we as customers shouldn't have to disable anything to get it to load unless it's a conflicting scenery, even if a lot of users can make it work by doing said disabling it shouldn't have be done.

I feel that perhaps ORBX may just be pushing the bar a little to quickly and hence our systems are literally being brought to their knees so to speak because of a tad too much eye candy etc but whatever it is maybe ORBX may need to rethink just how much they are putting onto these cityscapes and the way they are called within the sim.

I am not a programmer nor do I have anything to do with making sceneries etc but when I and others purchase a product it should work pretty much out of the box without much if any messing around or causing other problems, it seems too many people are having issuse with this addon for it to be said "oh it must be your system that can't handle it " etc. As I have said I have everything you've produced but this one is now uninstalled until some sort of patch,update or better way to use it is found.

Please do not shoot me down in flames as this is only my rambling thoughts and observations from reading on the forums and my own personal experiences.

With all respect Derek, there is no viable "work around". I have tried everything known to man to make this scenery work. The only "work around" available is to disable most, if not all, of the other installed scenery products. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable. Frankly, I'm tired of folks telling me that my default load times are terrible, or that I have a system problem, or that it's some other sort of user error. All I know is that, for years, everything I've ever purchased from ORBX (and I have them all) have worked together just fine. So I'll say again, this scenery just doesn't work. I've deleted it from the SSD and I'll never again buy another ORBX product if I have to disable other add-ons just to get it to work. Do I sound upset? I hope so.....because I am. In light of the accusations about "my" problem you might even say I'm pissed off. After over 30 hours of "messing around" trying to find a solution I have given up. Flame suit on..............Doug

So many different experiences...

I'm totally overwhelmed by this scenery! I like flying hours for hours here and do sightseeing, surrounded by some music. Wow! I enjoy it very much, sorry for you, Doug!

Thanky you Alan for this masterpiece!

Maybe you can do (some day of course) such scene for Berlin?

Kai

In my opinion this scenery is brilliant and must have taken loads of time and effort to create. I was on holiday in Orlando in the summer and have been flying over the places we visited, brings back memories. I remember lying by the pool and watching private jets flying overhead on final landing at Kissimmee Gateway and thinking 'lucky gits!' Now I can do it on my PC, flying over the easily recognisable pool I was lounging around.  I'm having a few problems with the scenery as well but I put it down more to the actual platform than the scenery itself. The designers obviously spent loads of time making hundreds of custom objects and creating a model Orlando. It must be difficult trying to balance features and detail with performance. I hope this scenery is developed for X-Plane as well as X-Plane seems to be developing at a faster pace. I have both sims installed and each have their strengths and weaknesses.

6 hours ago, W2DR said:

With all respect Derek, there is no viable "work around". I have tried everything known to man to make this scenery work. The only "work around" available is to disable most, if not all, of the other installed scenery products. To me, this is absolutely unacceptable. Frankly, I'm tired of folks telling me that my default load times are terrible, or that I have a system problem, or that it's some other sort of user error. All I know is that, for years, everything I've ever purchased from ORBX (and I have them all) have worked together just fine. So I'll say again, this scenery just doesn't work. I've deleted it from the SSD and I'll never again buy another ORBX product if I have to disable other add-ons just to get it to work. Do I sound upset? I hope so.....because I am. In light of the accusations about "my" problem you might even say I'm pissed off. After over 30 hours of "messing around" trying to find a solution I have given up. Flame suit on..............Doug

Hi Tezza. I know that it’s not good to have to muck about with the scenery to make it work and your right it should work out of the box, but if you check the FTX payware support forum there is a work around. It seems you have to disable some scenery from loading or something as the Orlando scenery is checking all the scenery you have installed to see if it’s needed and that’s why it’s taking so long to load. Some thing like that but I’m sure they will get it sorted in the end. Derek.

As the op of this one let me just clarify something, there is nothing wrong with the scenery itself, the problems I have encountered are similar to what others described on the forums. 

Long load times, freezes and in my case bsod as well, my main concern is the fact of having to disable other none conflicting sceneries produced by orbx just to get this one to load and run. Yes it’s not a major problem in itself but really should it be necessary? could the devs not combine the offending lib files into one? I don’t know but these are clever guys who make these great products for us so I’m sure given time they’ll come up with a solution to this problem in due course. 

It would be nice if one of the devs could chime in and possibly explain in none technical terminology so us mere mortals could understand as to why and what is going to be done so we don’t have to disable their own products to use this one just  a thought. 

2 hours ago, aviationatwar said:

I planned to buy this but haven't yet.  I looked through the other thread and P3D is what is almost solely being discussed there.  Are the loading issues not happening on FSX?

Agreed.  I'd be interested to get input into whether these issues are on FSX too?

I'm normally overjoyed with each ORBX release but this one caused me to uninstall quickly.  Hopefully they get the performance, stuttering, and loading times sorted.  Once I read that's done I'll entertain re-installing.  For now though, I'll be cautious before automatically pulling the purchase trigger on future ORBX products.

Im glad I’m not the only one having these problems. I purchased this day 1 but didn’t have time to fly around until yesterday. It causes extremely long load times for P3D and stutters really bad. Going from 11-30 FPS with clear weather and default baron 58. This is the worst performing orbx add on of the 20 or so that I’ve purchased. I am just going to disable this one until a fix comes out.

Well for me, FSX takes a very long time to load however, P3DV4 loads in normal time.  The scenery itself is absolutely stunning!  Being from Tampa it is so nice to fly over  scenery that is in my backyard.  Kudos to all of the effort that was put into it.  Orlando does have tons of things to see.  I guess the best way to put it is, this scenery deserves cursing and kissing all at the same time.  The lipstick on the pig to me, seems quite attractive at the moment!!

Hi Guys, further to my original post here I've given it another go. I re downloaded Orlando and deselected all the city scapes as per the instructions and on here, I then loaded up P3d and waited and waited and waited and eventually it loaded after around 42mins, I then had a flight and all was good but this was from a first run of the sim so once its run and loaded what it needs the subsequent load times should be shorter, Time will tell and I'll keep you posted as to what happens but I'm just happy I can use it ;-)

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Ticker 7.

Is there a reason why you cannot use the default font?

You take money off people for a product that has big problems, resulting in endless frustration and wasting hours and hours of peoples time, and you worry about which font they're posting in?! Unbelievable! 

On 1/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Ticker 7.

Is there a reason why you cannot use the default font?

Nick not wanting to be pedantic but if I choose to use a font other than default it's because the option is THERE. If you do not wish people to use a different fault then remove the option mate. Plus it's easy enough to read it is in English and it looks fine to me.

Here's my experience and why the scenery was released:

Test 3.  All scenery entries ticked, all 425 layers including Orlando and ORBX LIBS.

Start:  0:00

Past 6%:  5:25

100% ready to fly;  7:09

The ultimate heavy load test on the P3D coding but still managed to be ready to fly in 7 minutes.  Too long to be comfortable with but nothing like 20 + minutes that some users are experiencing.

My summary?  My computer is able to load Orlando with everything in my scenery library active in a bit over 7 minutes.  If I don't want to wait that long I can go into Scenery Config Editor and untick blocks of un-needed scenery such as airports and OLC and regions on other continents, and get loading down to 2 minutes or so.

I don't have any anti virus software or other programs that might affect program loading.  I don't have any texture enhancement programs like REX or heavy airliners or World traffic programs, any one of which might be found to slow down loading. I do have a high quality motherboard, whether that helps data processing between RAM and CPU I don't know. I don't have any of the affinity or LOD tweaks that some users put into the Prepar3D.cfg.

Something must be throttling systems that should be experiencing similar load times to mine but aren't.  But I'm not enough of a computer guru to even start to suggest what they might actually be.  All I can say is that if excessive load times had been experienced during testing, there's no way this scenery would have been passed by the beta team.

5 hours ago, John Dow said:

Here's my experience and why the scenery was released:

Test 3.  All scenery entries ticked, all 425 layers including Orlando and ORBX LIBS.

Start:  0:00

Past 6%:  5:25

100% ready to fly;  7:09

The ultimate heavy load test on the P3D coding but still managed to be ready to fly in 7 minutes.  Too long to be comfortable with but nothing like 20 + minutes that some users are experiencing.

My summary?  My computer is able to load Orlando with everything in my scenery library active in a bit over 7 minutes.  If I don't want to wait that long I can go into Scenery Config Editor and untick blocks of un-needed scenery such as airports and OLC and regions on other continents, and get loading down to 2 minutes or so.

I don't have any anti virus software or other programs that might affect program loading.  I don't have any texture enhancement programs like REX or heavy airliners or World traffic programs, any one of which might be found to slow down loading. I do have a high quality motherboard, whether that helps data processing between RAM and CPU I don't know. I don't have any of the affinity or LOD tweaks that some users put into the Prepar3D.cfg.

Something must be throttling systems that should be experiencing similar load times to mine but aren't.  But I'm not enough of a computer guru to even start to suggest what they might actually be.  All I can say is that if excessive load times had been experienced during testing, there's no way this scenery would have been passed by the beta team.

Have you tried add all the Orbx paywares/freewares in your test?   

-Jimmy

8 hours ago, Ticker7 said:

Hi Scott here ya go my system specs. also running an Nvidea 1080TI and a 650Ti if that helps mate.

system specs.JPG

Why are you running a 1080ti with a 650ti? Just run the 1080ti

And yes as Stewart says you should be running a processor with at least 4.4 GHz to fully utilize things

7 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Why are you running a 1080ti with a 650ti? Just run the 1080ti

And yes as Stewart says you should be running a processor with at least 4.4 GHz to fully utilize things

Hi Matthew I'm running the 650 for my cdu and another display for my instruments, I have three 24" monitors on the 1080  so 5 in all, as for underpowered cpu it actually works well for pretty much everything I throw at it as I'm getting 30+ fps at most places except heavy scenery areas but it's smooth and I don't chase frame rates anyway. I'll probably have to do a full update of the board,memory and cpu down the track but for now it'll do me.

43 minutes ago, Ticker7 said:

Hi Matthew I'm running the 650 for my cdu and another display for my instruments, I have three 24" monitors on the 1080  so 5 in all, as for underpowered cpu it actually works well for pretty much everything I throw at it as I'm getting 30+ fps at most places except heavy scenery areas but it's smooth and I don't chase frame rates anyway. I'll probably have to do a full update of the board,memory and cpu down the track but for now it'll do me.

Yes makes sense, the 650 just makes the 1080 drop down to 650 performance and your CPU works better at that level,  but you also have that 1080 for future use as well. Makes for a good use of multi monitors. You are squeezing the life out of that rig which is good. The more use you get out of things the better. 

I would consider the Orlando CityScape software for the future, I wouldn't complain your system isn't handling it so much as with your next upgrade you will get the most out of it. Flight Sim has been that way since FSX came out in 2006, it has been like chasing a carrot, as soon as you get a system handling things well the developers raise the bar even more.

1 hour ago, Ticker7 said:

I'm no hardware guru, but running 3 monitors from the 1080ti?  No wonder you have problems with Orlando City Scene, a 3.40 Ghz CPU notwithstanding.  Be that as it may, I'm in no position to criticize--I have no reason to purchase Orlando anyway, so I don't have a dog in this hunt.  I have T2G's KMCO and that's enough for me.

1 hour ago, Stewart Hobson said:

I'm no hardware guru, but running 3 monitors from the 1080ti?  

No he is not running 3 monitors from one 1080ti. He is running dual SLI configuration video cards with one being the 650Ti and the other the 1080Ti. In this configuration the 1080Ti gets downgraded to become par with the 650Ti, so it is really like running a dual 650Ti. With his CPU his system can handle those GPU's but not with something like Orlando. 

The reason why people end up in this situation is they buy a 650Ti and by the time the get around to buying another one the 650Ti is no longer available, so you can buy a faster GPU and run them dual but the faster one slows down to the speed of the slower one. It is just one way of doing things

9 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

No he is not running 3 monitors from one 1080ti. He is running dual SLI configuration video cards with one being the 650Ti and the other the 1080Ti. In this configuration the 1080Ti gets downgraded to become par with the 650Ti, so it is really like running a dual 650Ti. With his CPU his system can handle those GPU's but not with something like Orlando. 

The reason why people end up in this situation is they buy a 650Ti and by the time the get around to buying another one the 650Ti is no longer available, so you can buy a faster GPU and run them dual but the faster one slows down to the speed of the slower one. It is just one way of doing things

Matthew,  He stated, "I have three 24" monitors on the 1080."  Thus my comment.  The 650 is running two other monitors--he said nothing about running the two gpus in SLI.  It seemed clear to me what his setup is like.  Anyway, I still think his setup is underpowered with that CPU, but it's his rig and he seems satisfied with it.

17 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Matthew,  He stated, "I have three 24" monitors on the 1080."  Thus my comment.  The 650 is running two other monitors--he said nothing about running the two gpus in SLI.  It seemed clear to me what his setup is like.  Anyway, I still think his setup is underpowered with that CPU, but it's his rig and he seems satisfied with it.

Hi Guys I've just checked what's running off which card and there are 4 x  24" running on the 1080 as HDMI from display ports and one HDMI port and my cdu (vga) running off the 650, after doing a little research and I may be able to use the on board graphics for my cdu so I could then remove the 650 which may just help a little.

29 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

For what its worth, the onboard graphics are done by the CPU which is already busy.I would suggest it might be better to leave well alone.

Good job my eyes are okay Nick this is pretty small some people might struggle to read it or are you just having a lend of me Hmmmm  ;-)

Archived