Nuts

VH-KDK

Taking off from Smithton and a short flight around the area.

Previously.

6.6NJTOt6.jpg

Climbing out of Smithton with the Duck River in view. I noticed something that might be worth taking a look at.

7.ci9MoLK.jpg

Following Montagu Road next to the airport.

8.E40GQJg.jpg

Looking to see if there are any eggs to collect.

9.bi5Emgn.jpg

A tight fit but luckily I didn't chicken out.

10.WCKxk7g.jpg

I would say this has been tried before and the farmer has parked his JCB here to deter any barnstormers who are nuts enough to try it again.

11.y0hjdul.jpg

Could it be an almond nut plantation. Nope too far south for almonds, most likely an apple orchard being the "Apple Isle!"

12.faloPPG.jpg

Heading east and over Duck Bay

13.xSQwF8V.jpg

Here is the fishing port of Stanley with it's famous Nut.

14.O8Wff0K.jpg

The Nut is an old volcanic plug and is a prominent feature on the coast.

15.4XlyQgp.jpg

It has a flat top and is 143 metres high. You can get to the top via a chairlift of by walking.

16.XzvSPia.jpg

The location was originally called Circular Head but renamed in the 1840s after Lord Stanley who was a future Prime Minister if Britain. That is the town of Stanley and not The Nut!

17.M53RN0F.jpg

In 1936 a submarine telephone cable was laid from Victoria's Apollo Bay to Stanley providing Tasmania with it's first telephone link to mainland Australia.

Let me first say that I am nuts about this post , simply “tree”mendous shots that dangle like low hanging fruit to be picked and savored . Let me caution you however about that stunt you pulled flying so very low through the farmer’s barn , there are many barbed wire fences on any given farm and you don’t want to snag your low hanging fruit on any of them . :D:o:wacko::(:lol:

Cheers

John

Great shots & description of the sunny north coast.

When I saw the plane flying through the barn I thought "Jack has done it again".

Then I read all these detailed descriptions and got confused: "This is not the typical Jack, what has he done?"

And then I realized it was you...

Archived