North Weald

VH-KDK

1.0RYH2mI.jpg

Royal Flying Corps airfield North Weald Bassett opened in 1916 and transferred to the newly formed RAF in1918.

2.y3o5TK5.jpg

By the start of WW2 The airfield had developed substantially and the Hurricanes based there played an important role in the evacuation of Dunkirk and then The Battle of Britain.

3.26SZ3nU.jpg

Bristol Blenheim night fighters were also based there but in 1940 2 American Eagle Spitfire squadrons moved in.

4.gCUsRgx.jpg

Later the Norwegians came. Following the war Meteor and Vampires flew from here.

5.ZtkwiZO.jpg

The Black Arrows Hunters left here in 1958 and by 1964 the RAF had gone. The Army and RN used it until 1979 when it was sold off.

6.EcHN2Gt.jpg

Today it is used for GA and also a large number of piston and jet warbirds are based here.

Luckily they can all fly better than me.

Very good Martyn! So much to explore! :D

Maybe lowering the undercarriage before landing next time would be a good idea? ;):lol:

There is a story about one of the Polish pilots who did the same with his Hurricane. So you are in good company! 

8 hours ago, paulb said:

Very good Martyn! So much to explore! :D

Maybe lowering the undercarriage before landing next time would be a good idea? ;):lol:

There is a story about one of the Polish pilots who did the same with his Hurricane. So you are in good company! 

Cheers Paul, I don't think I was the first or be the last to do that. I heard a while ago about the pilot that belly landed his twin because he was busy...……..

……….on his mobile.:rolleyes:

I was actually on my first run up to the bridge but please keep that between just us!:lol:

7 hours ago, BradB said:

You must be enjoying your old stomping grounds very much with TE huh Martyn , we’ll keep them coming my friend .

Cheers

John

Thanks John, it is amazing seeing so many places I knew from the air in such great detail.:)

It is also amazing the number of times I completely forget not to press the V.:(

I did a short flight out of Compton Abbas last night and now I will have to go back and do the start again.:banghead:

7 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Great shots and flight Martyn. And ain't the crashing much more fun too - quite realistic flames on occasion!

Cheers Andy, sadly I am leaving bent Spitfires and Hurricanes all over the South, much harder to land them than in P3D!:o

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Outstanding narration and flight action, Martyn. Mostly, I mean.

Thanks Gerold, there are more images but they must be in my P3D folder as I pressed too many v's.

I expect I will get the hang of using "Shift+Bar"...………...when I am back to P3D again!:banghead:

12 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Paul, I don't think I was the first or be the last to do that. I heard a while ago about the pilot that belly landed his twin because he was busy...……..

……….on his mobile.:rolleyes:

I was actually on my first run up to the bridge but please keep that between just us!:lol:

Well Martyn, my regular mistake is trying to put the undercarriage up on a fixed wheel airplane after take off! :huh::lol:

Archived