Remember growing up listening to Doo-Wop

adambar

Thanks Adam, so nice to hear it. 

First stop here at the Ol Coots Club.... I turn 70 on Sept 30 but don't feel a day older than 69. ;)

I remember going to parties in High School (62-66) where Doo Wop was popular.  I liked it because it led to lots of sloooow dances with the girls!  :D

12 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Wonderful Adam. Thanks for the memories. Those were great times.:D

Indeed they were Karl, what great times. :)

10 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

I have a collection of Doo-Wop that I listen to regularly.  Love it.

Yep, I have the Doo-Wop DVD collection from PBS, excellent concert. :)

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

It wasn't only the large cities. I grew up in a three-room house on a dirt road in a small California town. It was popular there also...........

Wasn't sure about that, they always say east coast. I know in Pittsburgh it's huge. A lot of the concerts on DVD from PBS were made in the" Burg" (Pittsburgh, Pa.).:)

9 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks Adam, so nice to hear it. 

First stop here at the Ol Coots Club.... I turn 70 on Sept 30 but don't feel a day older than 69. ;)

I remember going to parties in High School (62-66) where Doo Wop was popular.  I liked it because it led to lots of sloooow dances with the girls!  :D

70, your still a young man Rob. :D  Just turned 75 on July 31. :huh::D

The Fridray and Saturday night dances at the fire hall or armory (55-61) :D  Kids today don't know what good music or slow dancing is anymore.

Speaking of sloooow dancing, here was one of my favorites.

19 hours ago, W2DR said:

It wasn't only the large cities. I grew up in a three-room house on a dirt road in a small California town. It was popular there also...........

It was popular in a lot of places. The genre developed in the east, mainly the New York, New Jersey Pennsylvania area in the cities.  It grew and spread everywhere.

14 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

It was popular in a lot of places. The genre developed in the east, mainly the New York, New Jersey Pennsylvania area in the cities.  It grew and spread everywhere.

I wasn't sure how far beyond the eastern US it was popular. :)

8 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Makes me tear up at the thought of having been that young, that innocent, and that lusty. :lol:

Geeze, quit your bawling Rodger, your a grown man for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes::D

4 hours ago, olderndirt said:

When I was a kid, we mostly listened to Radio Luxembourg - they had mostly American talent and it was so entertaining after the postwar BBC Scottish Home Service.

Interesting OND. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday night ballroom dancing in the town halls to Ted Heath and his orchestra and his copiers live and Glen Miller records.  I loved it until I was seventeen.  Then I met my wife who couldn't dance and had no sense of rythm and that put paid to that!"

John

77 a couple of weeks back and so great to see this music here - it was popular also in Papua New Guinea during it's heyday - I played in a 60/40 band up there 1959-67 and we always had to do some of these tunes by popular request - they translated well into our big band/rock-n-roll line up and we did little choreographed dances to them as well which the customers always loved - thanks for the induced memories B)

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, olderndirt said:

When I was a kid, we mostly listened to Radio Luxembourg - they had mostly American talent and it was so entertaining after the postwar BBC Scottish Home Service.

The Beatles Show on a Sunday night with the tranny quietly under the pillow as I was supposed to be going to sleep ready for school the next day.:P

Obviously later from when you were listening to Radio Buxomgirl!

That takes me back.  Sheila and I used to listen to Radio Luxemburg while we were courting.  Mind you, I don't remember hearing much.  We used it to cover up the sounds we might make while 'snogging' with her Mum and Dad sleeping in the next door bedroom!

I understand they were quite a good music program.  Radio Luxemburg I mean!!

John

Handling the radio was not one of my tasks so I listened to what the adults wanted.  Stuff like "ITMA" and "Much binding in the marsh" and of course, Wilfred Pickles - had to go to a friends to hear "Dick Barton, special agent".  First heard Jo Stafford's "You belong to me" on Luxembourg - thought it was the most beautiful song ever.

Oh my goodness.  Nostalgia.  I remember them all.  I even met Vera Lynn once.  She lived in a house overlooking the back garden of a relatives house in Ilford I think it was.  It was an accident. She heard us in the back garden and peeked over the fence to say 'hello' to her neighbour and there was I.

Years later, I met Lulu.  She was visting my company to have her hair done by our technical department.  Reception had left her to find her own way (typical hairdressers) and she was wandering down the corridor of this large four story buiding looking completely lost.  I recognised her of course and said 'hallo' and asked her where she was off to.  She told me the technical department and I walked her along there.  From then on, when visiting the building, she sought me out at luch time and invited me to join them in the visitors dining room.

I had better not mention Vidal Sassoon but he and his sidekick, because of a favour I had done for him at an exhibition, whenever they were visiting always insisted  on joining me and my group in the main dining hall.  The directors were not best pleased!;D

John

Archived