A Glimpse of a Tale Within A Story

JMBIII

With the recent purchase of Samoa - Pago Pago (PSTU) I decide to take a sight seeing flight. (click on a picture to expand.)

Looking at the plane should have cautioned me and the pilot insisted on being called "Skipper" and the co-pilot "Gill".  So . . . .

Just sit right back
And you'll hear a tale
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port,
Aboard this tiny ship.
The co-pilot was a mighty flyin' lad,
The Skipper brave and sure,
Five passengers took flight that day,
For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.

rHOTlRE.jpg

2. The five of us sightseers left Pago Pago on a supposed three hour tour which included lunch on the neighboring island of Ofu.

ls5iLzf.jpg

3. The first part of the flight was uneventful. We flew over Pago Pago harbour.

6222xbV.jpg

4. Two sightseers,  Mary Ann and Ginger, were delighted when they saw their cruise ship in the harbour.

Y6tWDCz.jpg

5. Down along the north side we saw the rugged uninhabited part of the island.

M9GIFbw.jpg

6. Thick vegetation, cliffs and small protected bays for miles.

M4O8Lmu.jpg

7. Rounding the western end one of the other passengers, Mrs. Howell, lamented on the lack of proper social niceties out in the islands.

jPcJCiU.jpg

8. Her husband, Thurston, told her to look at the pretty island and that social amenities could wait until they got to Paris.  

pOWmdIK.jpg

9. Leaving Tutuila we headed for Ofu, Olosega, and Tau, the other inhabited islands of American Samoa.

FHnYAOo.jpg

10. As we passed we could almost see the bridge connecting Ofu and Olosega.

EomtULd.jpg

11. The Skipper told us all the islands were the remnants of ancient volcanoes. . . . .

IM9YCEk.jpg

12. Which was evident as we rounded Tau.

prdFLjX.jpg

13. I wasn't too sure of the crew's aviator abilities, but "call me The Skipper" landed us safely on Ofu's short runway.

b0ioVda.jpg

14. We were greeted by the islanders and were treated to lunch at the Va'oto Lodge.

AavmkN5.jpg

15. The Skipper hurried us back to the plane as bad weather was approaching. As soon as we were airborne the storm surrounded us.

y8HR6Wy.jpg

16. Turbulence shook the plane. Lightning and heavy rain obscured visibilty. The Skipper assured us he was following
radio signals and we would be back to Pago Pago shortly. (visualize five or six more pictures like this one)

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The sightseers would be lost.
The sightseers would be lost.

fqdxlry.jpg

17. Shortly turned into hours. The radios failed. As the storm started clearing we spotted a small island. Just as the engines sputtered and fuel ran out.

sY0Lbw8.jpg

18. To their credit, the Skipper and Gil expertly put the plane down in the lagoon as if they'd done this before. A soft ditching and no one was injured.

FqPYiIh.jpg

19. We all waded to land, only to find the small atoll was uninhabited.

The plane sank down on the shore
Of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan,
The Skipper too.
The millionaire
And his wife,
The movie star,
The professor and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligan's Isle.

42pb9oO.jpg

20. After spending a wet night under the palms, I hiked to the other side of the island and spotted a ship !

iCWrb53.jpg

21. We were rescued by a group of people who, coincidentally, were looking for an aircraft lost eighty years ago.

dH9HUyh.jpg

JM this was outstandingly clever!  I don't know, Hawaii?  But it would have been a long flight to Hawaii from Samoa right?  I dunno but the entire thing was excellent and I know where my NEXT flight is gonna be, haven't been to this place in ages! Thanks for the wonderful presentation, I loved it! :)

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

JM this was outstandingly clever!  I don't know, Hawaii?  But it would have been a long flight to Hawaii from Samoa right?  I dunno but the entire thing was excellent and I know where my NEXT flight is gonna be, haven't been to this place in ages! Thanks for the wonderful presentation, I loved it! :)

Jack,

I left  the island coordinates on the last few shots. If you deem to visit make it in a seaplane. There's no proper airports within a couple of hundred miles !

To all . . . . . .

Thanks for the kind comments.  I'm sure that the old TV show, "Gilligan's Island", wasn't as familiar in Europe, Oz, or NZ as it was in the States.

Now, as to the tale within a story. No one has mentioned the answers, which should be, "A Tale Within A Tale Within a Story".

"Gilligan's Island and the search for Amelia Earhart are obvious answers.

Return to the first few frames and look for the other 'dark' answer.

Archived