Around Martha's

Jack Sawyer

7 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

You can’t draw “interest” on pics like these by saving them Jack, once you post em, that’s when the interest kicks in! :D  Great post!

:lol:  I see what you did there Roger!  I love it.  Thanks!

Great set of shots, Jack, that remind me of a completely different and long gone era of flight simming when I did some sightseeing flights around Martha's Vineyard. I didn't take any pictures, but they would look completely different, of course...

As we're talking of it, I have a question for the native speaker. How is the island's name actually pronounced? [vinyard] (like in "kid") or [vainyard] (like in "wine")?

6 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Great set of shots, Jack, that remind me of a completely different and long gone era of flight simming when I did some sightseeing flights around Martha's Vineyard. I didn't take any pictures, but they would look completely different, of course...

As we're talking of it, I have a question for the native speaker. How is the island's name actually pronounced? [vinyard] (like in "kid") or [vainyard] (like in "wine")?

Thanks Lars!  I remember those old days too, flying here from Block Island.

It's pronounced (locally, with the New England accent) vinyid.  But other around the country would pronounce it vinyahd.  Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Lars!  I remember those old days too, flying here from Block Island.

It's pronounced (locally, with the New England accent) vinyid.  But other around the country would pronounce it vinyahd.  Hope this helps.

Another enigma solved! Thank you Jack.

3 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

So in New England they pronounce it like "kid" and in the rest of the US it would be like "wine"?

In New England it's pronounced Vinyid.  In the rest of the country it's pronounced Vineyard or Vineyahd.

Archived