A pair of Bristols and a fat freebie

2 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Back in the day I had a 'Raleigh' bike with a light like those on the wing.

Wow! Me too!! It kept working loose and pointing vertically down! Driven by a dynamo that sprung against the side of the tyre! Not brilliant, as when you braked to avoid something in front of you, your lights would go out!!!

32 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I didn't know Sir Walter made bikes!:wacko:

In the early fifties, Raleigh bikes were the class act in the UK but they all used the Sturmey Archer 3-speed.  European derailleur gears were coming into vogue and frames were much lighter so the Raleigh became an "Adult's" bike.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

In the early fifties, Raleigh bikes were the class act in the UK but they all used the Sturmey Archer 3-speed.  European derailleur gears were coming into vogue and frames were much lighter so the Raleigh became an "Adult's" bike.

Some very familiar names in my pre car days in England! 

Good to see that Halfords is still going with so many of the other much visited stores now gone.

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Some very familiar names in my pre car days in England! 

Good to see that Halfords is still going with so many of the other much visited stores now gone.

Last time I was in the old country, I went to the Halford's in Dunfermline to purchase one of the big red 'L' cards they use for auto learners.  I had a student pilot friend in mind. 

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Looking at the back side view you see how much dihedral the wings had - lots of level flight stability but makes you wonder how they were for aerobatics.  Didn't Douglas Bader lose his legs in one of these?

Well you know your history OND, it happened at Woodley aerodrome close to Reading.

Reach for the Sky is one of my favourite sentimental movies although apparently he hated the movie.

7 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Fantastic shots, but a pair of Bristols...I was a little disappointed.  Or maybe that bit of slang has dropped right out of knowledge.

Glad you "got" the pun. For baffled users out there, I can't go into great detail as this is a family board. Suffice to say it refers the the upper half of a female torso - and Bristol is a very hilly place! Cockney rhyming slang, originally, I think.

I think it'll be edited out by the PC brigade any time soon!

We just watched a re-run of a documentary about the making of Fawlty Towers. They showed a clip where the old Major used both the "n" word and the "w*g" word in the same sentence (well, he was a daft old f*rt after all!). Couldn't be done, these days!!!

Adam.

Archived