Hello Dan Dare.

VH-KDK

11 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Well at least one other person knows what I am talking about.

I suspect that may just be me!!! I remember the comic .... and I also remember Dan-Air was usually called "Death-Air" due to its appalling safety record!

Adam.

13 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Well at least one other person knows what I am talking about.

Previously:-

8.xC7EEH3.jpg

9.QICs8AV.jpg

10.0NX5Tn3.jpg

11.i055QL3.jpg

12.3ERASrE.jpg

13.QriQzPA.jpg

14.dUfFVWr.jpg

Exeter.

I remember him well, it was my favourite comic. For the Americans it was a British comic and the hero was a spaceman called Dan Dare who always had trouble with a baddie called the Mecon. Not sure wether that should be a C or a K. One of the things I liked was the centre page which used to have a coloured cut away image of either a plane or ship or anything and showing you all the details inside. Fantastic and happy days. Derek.

Ahhhhh....Dan Air.......use to go out with a Dan Air hostie (sorry about the non-pc - but that’s my generation)!!!!

Also used to get theEagle comic for Dan Dare (and Digby, his faithful sidekick) until the Valiant came out - much more action with Captain Hurricane and Alf Tupper!!!

2 minutes ago, Torchy821 said:

Ahhhhh....Dan Air.......use to go out with a Dan Air hostie (sorry about the non-pc - but that’s my generation)!!!!

Also used to get theEagle comic for Dan Dare (and Digby, his faithful sidekick) until the Valiant came out - much more action with Captain Hurricane and Alf Tupper!!!

We were only allowed the "Eagle": all others ("Beano", "Beezer", "Dandy" etc.) were classed too low-brow. We had to suffer the awful "Childrens' Newspaper". All black & white and only a smattering of pics.

But - yes - those "cutaway" aircraft diagrams were something to behold.

I wonder whether your sig derives from "Torchy, Torchy, the Battery Boy" <???>.

Adam.

1 hour ago, Torchy821 said:

Adam - You rumbled me!!! It is most definitely Torchy the Battery Boy.

Arrrrrgh .... noooooooooooooooooooo ... now I can't get that *awful* signature tune out of my head!!!!

Adam.

Well, this has turned into an interesting thread ^_^ First, Martyn's wonderful shots flying over the scenery in that old livery and aircraft, and then all this information on a comic I have never heard of as an American. Looked like a fun comic, and I can see why you all were fans of the cut-away spread...those are always interesting :)

1 hour ago, Sniper31 said:

Well, this has turned into an interesting thread ^_^ First, Martyn's wonderful shots flying over the scenery in that old livery and aircraft, and then all this information on a comic I have never heard of as an American. Looked like a fun comic, and I can see why you all were fans of the cut-away spread...those are always interesting :)

That was a fantastic comic in my childhood Landon. My second favourite was the Hotspur! :D

8 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

I suspect that may just be me!!! I remember the comic .... and I also remember Dan-Air was usually called "Death-Air" due to its appalling safety record!

Adam.

Thanks Adam, great old days with the comics coming through the hole in the door on a Monday morning.:)

Poor old Dan Air had some unfortunate happenings didn't they.:(

8 hours ago, paulb said:

Great selection of shots Martyn!  They used to fly regularly from Cardiff :)

Thank you Paul, we had them operating too from Bournemouth, I think starting from the early 70s. A steady stream of Dan Air Comets heading for Europe over Bournemouth as well. We always liked Dan Air along with Court and Britannia as they gave out their regos on the VHF radio and not flight numbers.:)

8 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

I remember him well, it was my favourite comic. For the Americans it was a British comic and the hero was a spaceman called Dan Dare who always had trouble with a baddie called the Mecon. Not sure wether that should be a C or a K. One of the things I liked was the centre page which used to have a coloured cut away image of either a plane or ship or anything and showing you all the details inside. Fantastic and happy days. Derek.

I can remember when I was very young, my brother having the Eagle. I was too young to be able to read it properly though. I was fascinated by the cut away drawings too.:)

8 hours ago, Torchy821 said:

The only PC worth worrying about for me is what my sim runs on.:lol::lol::lol:

I can remember the Valliant, can you imagine the reaction to Captain Hurricane today.:o

7 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

We were only allowed the "Eagle": all others ("Beano", "Beezer", "Dandy" etc.) were classed too low-brow. We had to suffer the awful "Childrens' Newspaper". All black & white and only a smattering of pics.

But - yes - those "cutaway" aircraft diagrams were something to behold.

I wonder whether your sig derives from "Torchy, Torchy, the Battery Boy" <???>.

Adam.

That sounds like our house too Adam. I had to go to a friends house to read the Beano.:(

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you Paul, we had them operating too from Bournemouth, I think starting from the early 70s. A steady stream of Dan Air Comets heading for Europe over Bournemouth as well. We always liked Dan Air along with Court and Britannia as they gave out their regos on the VHF radio and not flight numbers.:)

Those were the good days Martyn! No health and safety or political correctness then! ;):D

Archived