The Land of the Devils Dust

VH-KDK

Situated in the Clarence River valley in New South Wales is Baryulgil.

1.bw1.jpg

A small crowd and a diving Magpie are here at Baryulgil to see us off.

2.bw2.jpg

Birds and Kangaroos in abundance here but the town has a darker history. In the 1970s the Asbestos mine shut down and the health of the local community and many mine workers has been affected by the material.

3.bw3.jpg

The Clarence River winds it's way through the valley. Devils Dust was a TV movie based on the case of Bernie Banton. He lead the fight for compensation for workers affected by Asbestos related diseases.

4.bw4.jpg

Looking  over towards Kippenduff and the Mount Belmore State Forest.

5.bw5.jpg

At Mookima Wybra

6.bw6.jpg

Time to look for our destination of Drake.

7.bw7.jpg

Now at Drake and losing height before landing at the strip.

8.bw8.jpg

Over the Bruxner Hwy.

9.bw9.jpg

Gold and copper have been mined in this area from the 1850s

10.bw10.jpg

Drake, yet another wonderful OZx airport.

4 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Wonderful screenies, Marty. Unfortunately this kind of attitude towards the locals is not restricted to Australians, it happens all over the world. It must be something in us humans. That is why also communism did not work ;)

Thanks Bernd, the older I get the less surprised I am. I think the uncaring attitude is called Human nature.:o

These have to be some of your finest shots yet Martyn.

And I know all too well about asbestosis.  Unfortunately I had to breathe a lot of it when I was 18 as a plumber in training before the Air Force, every year I have to get checked.  I breathed that stuff for weeks, dense cloud of it in basements as we removed it from heating pipes in the late 70's.  No safety equipment at all, no one really knew back then.  My O2 sats are always a little lower because of it.  Such is life eh?

Archived