Orbx Freeware Airport Packs

• 4 weeks later...

May I please dig down a little deeper on this?

I have searched tirelessly through posts and searches, so please don't assume that i am asking without first equipping myself with some of the knowledge that is already out there.

For instance, L52 was once part of the Global NA freeware pack, but I cannot find L52 ORBX BGL's which explains the default nature of L52 Oceano.

KAVX also features on some of the lists and maps out there, and yet i can find no BGL's for this under oRBX freeware pack directory.

Am I searching in the wrong place, or does the list of freeware FTX Global airports change over time, all the more so now that NA & Europe are consolidated as a single freeware Global product?

With thanks,

Fabio

• 4 weeks later...

"The freeware airports do indeed change over time, some are added and those that are included in payware are taken away. L52 is now a part of the payware SCA product.

KAVX is now a payware product".

Ah Ha,  so that is why there are no longer any freeware Germany fields that used to be included. i.e. EDWI and EDVR to name two.

Presuming this is correct then I am not happy to be forced to buy Gerrmany but I understand the commercial logic so will suffer in silence.

• Sad 1

The airports are removed because they may interfere with the regions. The airports within the regions are all upgraded to the same standard as the global freeware airports so you get all the airports in the regions to this standard. We only do global freeware airports for areas that are not part of a region.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate your explanation:smile: However, lets presume that one has the original freeware and then purchases the relative region. I stand to be corrected however when I have purchased regions I do not recall being instructed to re-download or adjust the freeware package accordingly so must presume that the region package automatically adjusts the airfields as neccessary?  I think that the original airfields should still be made available for those who do not wish to purchase the full fat region. Of course I understand that Orbx can amend packages both payware and freeware at their discretion, it just seems a bit petty to do so. Anyway, it is what it is. Cheers. dan

Hello,

it is less to do with being "petty" than leaving the freeware airports

in place to interfere with the region's versions.

Imagine that you had bought FTX Germany and when you updated the

freeware airports, it broke several of the airports that you just paid for?

I would expect that you would be back here complaining that the freeware

airports were available.

As you point out, it is what it is and it will not as far as I am aware be changing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

it is less to do with being "petty" than leaving the freeware airports

in place to interfere with the region's versions.

Imagine that you had bought FTX Germany and when you updated the

freeware airports, it broke several of the airports that you just paid for?

I would expect that you would be back here complaining that the freeware

airports were available.

As you point out, it is what it is and it will not as far as I am aware be changing.

While I do understand that, it is a bit disappointing. 

Have you consider keep separate packs for those freeware airports already included in payware regions? The same way you had it in the past by 'continent'?

I do not expect I ever buy Germany region but rather Oceania and PNW or California. However, it would be cool to be able to fly sometimes from German airstrips - I am from Poland, and Germany from above looks pretty similar to my homeland landscapes ;)

Andrzej

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for appearing so dense, but I cannot seem to locate where the freeware airports in this thread are available for download.  I understand some will no longer be available if they have become payware, but I specifically was looking for some of the Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming airports that don't appear to be payware yet and are in that excel list.  I don't see them listed under the freeware tab in FTX Central 3 and don't see a link in the ORBX website either.

As I say, probably just me not looking in the right spot.

Randy.

Ah, thank you Nick,

I was thinking they could be used in FTX CRM and NRM, but the link appears that I need Global Base Pack first, so I guess I cannot use them.  Ah well, those airports as they alredy exist in FTX CRM and NRM are still amazing.  They'll have to do.

Randy

All the airports in the regions (CRM and NRM) have been upgraded to the same standard as the global freeware airports. You can also try using them without Global base but the textures and land class may not match very well. The Orbx libraries are required as most of the objects on the airports are Orbx objects. The airports also are better with the Orbx Land Class.

Larry

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 8:30 AM, woodhick803 said:

The Orbx Freeware Airport Pack spreadsheets have been updated to include the latest additions.  Enjoy

USA HERE

CANADA/SOUTH AMERICA HERE

Hi Woodchick!

Thank you so much for providing these lists! They are most valuable in my mapping. It's unfortunate that FTX has stopped providing users with the list like they had been doing.

Would it be possible in future updates to somewhere in your post and the spreadsheets themselves the date of your updated file and perhaps the date of the udpated FTX update? Sometimes I don't know if your post (at the top of the thread with the links) represents the most current FTX update information.

Also, if it's not too difficult, are you able to leave in the airports that FTX removes from the Freeware package simply noting their removal? This just helps us keep track of additions and deletions.

Thank you for your time and effort!

Edited by MaxArk

18 hours ago, MaxArk said:

Hi Woodchick!

Thank you so much for providing these lists! They are most valuable in my mapping. It's unfortunate that FTX has stopped providing users with the list like they had been doing.

Would it be possible in future updates to somewhere in your post and the spreadsheets themselves the date of your updated file and perhaps the date of the udpated FTX update? Sometimes I don't know if your post (at the top of the thread with the links) represents the most current FTX update information.

Also, if it's not too difficult, are you able to leave in the airports that FTX removes from the Freeware package simply noting their removal? This just helps us keep track of additions and deletions.

Thank you for your time and effort!

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm not completely sure I understand what you are asking about "leaving in the airports FTX....noting their removal".  The freeware airports lists do note the date of each airports' updating over in the comments section.  PM me if you would like to discuss further.

I will take a look at the spreadsheets and see if I can easily insert a modification date but when Orbx announces new additions to the list the spreadsheets are updated with in a week or less.

Hope this helps.

Please note, I have been asked about the possibility of deleting or otherwise noting if a specific freeware airport has been superseded by an airport included in a payware region (think Northern and Southern California).   The short answer here is that if you own a specific payware region in which a freeware airport was once located, then that freeware airport should be considered as superseded by the payware region version.

Thanks to all who use my lists as references for flying destinations or take off points.

Edited by woodhick803

• 2 months later...

@woodhick803 and Larry Isenor:

Just a heads-up fellas.  I'm in the process of adding the 04/19 Update to my Google Earth kmz library and have discovered that Carlyle Airport's designator should be CJQ3, not CJQ5, which is Arnes Airport next door in Alberta.

Cheers!  Love these freeware airports, btw!

Stew

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Just a heads-up fellas.  I'm in the process of adding the 04/19 Update to my Google Earth kmz library and have discovered that Carlyle Airport's designator should be CJQ3, not CJQ5, which is Arnes Airport next door in Alberta.

Sorry about that it was my error when sending the list to Ed. Can"t read my own typing sometimes.

Larry

• Like 1

No problem, Larry.  Thanks again for all your work on the freeware airports.  It's most appreciated.  Some of those out-of-the-way little airports would ordinarily escape any notice were it not for the freeware packs.  Thanks again!

Stew

Hello,

Thanks for these new freeware airports and for the updated list.

I regularly update my AEC profile as indicated in this list and noticed a typo :

the airport OV2 in the spreadsheet should be read 0V2 (not the letter "O" but the numeral "0" - zero.)

My very small contribution ;)

Gérard

Thanks for the update....for those of you who do not want to print out more than 40 pages, these lists can easily be saved as PDF files. I have an HP printer which allows me to easily convert, and I keep the lists on my desk top for quick reference. I suspect most print program allow for PDF save format...

Sherm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gaab said:

I regularly update my AEC profile as indicated in this list and noticed a typo :

the airport OV2 in the spreadsheet should be read 0V2 (not the letter "O" but the numeral "0" - zero.)

Gérard

Thanks Gerard.  Corrected.

16 hours ago, Socata said:

Good evening, does anyone know where I can see the airports added? no pdf available?

The release announcement that a new list of updated freeware airports contains a list of the newest additions.  When I update the spreadsheets I highlight the release date (e.g. April 2019 release) until a newer update occurs.

3 hours ago, gaab said:

Hello,

Thanks for these new freeware airports and for the updated list.

Gérard

FYI, the airport designation is correct in the release announcement, however.

Stew

3 hours ago, shermank said:

Thanks for the update....for those of you who do not want to print out more than 40 pages, these lists can easily be saved as PDF files. I have an HP printer which allows me to easily convert, and I keep the lists on my desk top for quick reference. I suspect most print program allow for PDF save format...

Sherm

Thanks for the tip, Sherm.  You are correct--these two spreadsheets are easily saved as pdf files.

Cheers!

Stew

17 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

FYI, the airport designation is correct in the release announcement, however.

Stew

Yes, I saw it after :) - next time I will use the release announcement.

Thanks - Gérard