Best Terrain Mesh to go with Orbx

bweiner1725

Hello Barry,

Orbx products are based on FS Pilots Global 2010 mesh product, unfortunately it is no longer available.

FS Pilots Global 2018 is the replacement, but has not got clearance by Orbx.

Freemesh is roughly similar to FS Global 2010 and it's free.

I've been using FreeMeshX for years. 

Since it is free, I installed it while I was researching the competing payware mesh options. 

I liked it well enough to not spend money on a payware mesh and spent my money on more Orbx scenery instead!

47 minutes ago, Smudger said:

Hello Barry,

Orbx products are based on FS Pilots Global 2010 mesh product, unfortunately it is no longer available.

FS Pilots Global 2018 is the replacement, but has not got clearance by Orbx.

Freemesh is roughly similar to FS Global 2010 and it's free.

Will ORBX/FTX continue to utilize the Pilots FTX 2010 Compatible mesh to develop scenery or is the money formerly spent on same now a wash??

Guest Colin M

Do ORBX plan to test the newer FS Global 2018/Ultimate mesh I wonder? I went and purchased Ultimate earlier this year and then learned that ORBX is a known good compatibility with FS Global 2010 so went back to this, have seen a few issues with FS Global Ultimate and not just with ORBX, maybe it will get improved as the product matures? very expensive software though, could have saved myself a bit if I'd done more research there, oh well :)

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Mesh is up to your personal preference. It really doesn't matter that much which one you choose.

I don't think so. As far as I know, ORBX checks against Pilot's 2010 Mesh (with the 5 m setting) if airports don't have hills/holes or other artifacts. This is not guaranteed for other Meshs (and settings). For most airports other meshs may work as well, but the forum has quite a number of reports of cliffs etc. around airports caused by alternative meshs. I experienced this myself in the PNG addon using Pilot's Ultimate Mesh time ago.

Pilot's provide a tool to fight these artifacts which may correct such issues.

Kind regards, Michael

3 hours ago, pmb said:

I don't think so. As far as I know, ORBX checks against Pilot's 2010 Mesh (with the 5 m setting) if airports don't have hills/holes or other artifacts. This is not guaranteed for other Meshs (and settings). For most airports other meshs may work as well, but the forum has quite a number of reports of cliffs etc. around airports caused by alternative meshs. I experienced this myself in the PNG addon using Pilot's Ultimate Mesh time ago.

Pilot's provide a tool to fight these artifacts which may correct such issues.

Kind regards, Michael

I wasn't aware that Orbx checks the airports with the 2010 version. I wonder how big the "artefact danger" might be, though.

Here is an example by ORBX supporter Nick (#4):

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/143583-mesh-for-orbx-products/?tab=comments#comment-1266865

I wouldn't say I am happy with this, as I own Pilot's Ultimate NG myself but that's the state of affairs. Honestly, I rarely fly outside of the FTX regions and don't use any additional mesh within them as the integrated Holger mesh is optimum for them anyway.

You can try to correct issues using the AFM tool you can download from the Pilot's website after registering with them.

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

I wasn't aware that Orbx checks the airports with the 2010 version. I wonder how big the "artefact danger" might be, though.

Hello,

despite your assertion that "It really doesn't matter that much which one you choose", it really does matter.

Airport and region developers have to work to a given standard and at the moment, that standard is Fs Global 2010.

So far, none of the later mesh products that are asserted by Pilot's to be for FTX have been tested by FTX developers,

so the claim is theirs alone.

I went over to Pilots FS Global 2018 and have logged a few hundred hours flying the skies this year with it. I have about 80% of all ORBX products and have not had issues with one of them. 

I am currently 38 legs into a 47 leg Asia/Europe tour where I spent over 2 grand on scenery software for P3D V4.1.

I have scenery software at every airport, to and from. They were all tested prior to my starting the tour and I only had to change 2 sceneries because of elevation issues with terrain.

Several also had issues but I excluded them via AEC in Vector and all was good.

Frank

9 minutes ago, tennyson said:

I went over to Pilots FS Global 2018 and have logged a few hundred hours flying the skies this year with it. I have about 80% of all ORBX products and have not had issues with one of them. 

I am currently 38 legs into a 47 leg Asia/Europe tour where I spent over 2 grand on scenery software for P3D V4.1.

I have scenery software at every airport, to and from. They were all tested prior to my starting the tour and I only had to change 2 sceneries because of elevation issues with terrain.

Several also had issues but I excluded them via AEC in Vector and all was good.

Frank

Outstanding reply Frank. Might I inquire which 2 sceneries you had issues with? I too have a vast library and may be able to avoid the issues, based on your feedback.

Hello,

you are in the wrong place.

Customers visit these forums for support with Fs Global mesh products and mostly receive it

out of courtesy, however the products are not made or sold by FTX.

Pilot's do not appear to have a support forum but you could ask via e mail.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

as it has nothing to do with FTX files, it will have no effect on them.

If you already own the 2010 version, at the moment you probably don't need anything else.

Acknowledge all Nick. I know you mentioned that Orbx bases their mesh off of the 2010 model and also noted 2018 is FTX compliant, so I assumed it might be even better. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

despite your assertion that "It really doesn't matter that much which one you choose", it really does matter.

Airport and region developers have to work to a given standard and at the moment, that standard is Fs Global 2010.

So far, none of the later mesh products that are asserted by Pilot's to be for FTX have been tested by FTX developers,

so the claim is theirs alone.

Wish I had read this before splashing out on FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation FTX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will install tonight with one eye closed and the other eye squinting.

Hello,

It seems to me that the options are

FS Global 2010

FS Global 2010 for FTX (tested and approved by FTX)

FS Global Ultimate FTX (not tested or approved by FTX)

FS Global Ultimate Next Generation FTX (not tested or approved by FTX)

FS Global 2018 (not tested or approved by FTX)

FTX ultimate 2018 is not a product description but a mixture of three names.

It would be better to specify which you are recommending.

2 hours ago, robkr1208 said:

Strangely from ORBX Innsbruck since installing the mesh I am getting a lot of mesh popping right in front of the aircraft. Not great at all.

You might check your "mesh resolution" setting.

The recommended mesh resolution setting for almost all Orbx products (including LOWI) is 5m.

Very high resolution mesh may sound like a great idea, but the down side is that it takes up a huge amount of disc space and may not always interact with add-ons that were designed to be used with a different mesh.

From Freemesh

The FTX regions with the USA come with their own mesh and they are also rendered at LOD12. We have not tested compatibility extensively, and we would like to see reports from the beta users on how the FTX meshes and FreeMeshX USA mesh conflict. Since they are both the same level of detail, there may be some conflict. If there is, the likely suggestion would be to uncheck FMX – USA from your Scenery Library when flying in the FTX regions. We highly encourage the use of FTX Vectors. Any good mesh needs a good vector replacement package.

• 3 months later...

Having most orbx landclasses installed including global and vector, plus a number of countries, the single most aggravating thing is the airport elevation issues. For example Manchester airport in the UK, it becomes completely unusable once globa, vector and lc are installed..the only thing you can do is run the tool.  Ive tried various meshes but non of them seem to fix airport elevation issues, which i thought was the whole purpose of a mesh. to give elevation where it should be, thus solving the airports issues.

Ive tried FreeMeshX , and it doesnt really solve anything and id be highly surprised if its even compatible with orbx products, as i ve seen plenty of problems after installing it. unless they've fixed things.

I believe you have the wrong idea of the purpose of the mesh.  It is not to solve airport elevation issues; that is beyond any mesh's capabilities and purpose.  A good mesh's sole purpose is to provide enhanced terrain detail that would, and is, lost with no mesh or a mesh with less resolution or level of detail.  Freemesh is as good a product as any other, but there some that are more suited to Orbx products.

Stew

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, so let me make sure I get this right as I’m starting a fresh install of P3D and all ORBX EU scenery, global and vector in the next few days.  I also have both FS Global 2010 and FS Global Ultimate Next Generation. 

So for the best compatibility I should install the 2010 version of FS Global, is this correct? 

Want to make sure I get the install correct. 

Archived