P3D V4 first impressions

Wish I had Orbx stuff installed, I'll just get that over with right away, I can't wait, it'll be awesome.

It was a pain setting up my Saitek gear, I don't use FSUIPC to control things so unlike 3.4 my second quadrant for some reason the levers will not bring the prop and mixture all the way back and they're way out of sync despite calibrating.  Something to fiddle with.

Someone posted about this, it's odd, unlike 3.4 you can't have half a hangar of liveries be hidden.  All you can do is star it a favorite or not.  Need to look into this.

The dynamic lighting is something to behold!

Speed trees and 4096 textures amazing, I can only imagine how good everything will look with all my Orbx stuff installed.

With Chase Plane running in top it has this cool VAS meter which in 3,4 will show how much you've used or have left, not so in V4, it's a smiley face!  No kidding, no VAS worries! :)

You can import key settings from 3.4 easily, that was good.

With everything maxed out I was getting good frames, 30's to 70's.  And very smooth, no stutters at all.

Would I recommend?  100% yes!  Especially with Orbx's stuff, it'll be amazing.

Frames are great, it's smooth, I like everything about it.

Here's some random stuff I took at random places with random planes and one avatar guy which I still can't figure out how to use.

I know they're not Orbx so I apologize in advance, but they soon will be as soon as we get the FTX for it.

I used a combination of Iain's and Stewart's HDR settings, as well as scenery settings.

ddW5iwA.jpg

swr8OcN.jpg

ptIZYS3.jpg

You know I couldn't help myself!

AnkmpCt.jpg

OEpadqw.jpg

UWWrxKA.jpg

VybkbSi.jpg

ZVktnzj.jpg

o9aJrx1.jpg

PRU2Beu.jpg

R5l1Uo2.jpg

Bail out!  Pop your chute!  No Avatars were hurt making these shots.  And these textures aren't even with the Speed Trees.

U2SwMsX.jpg

vqJyjvO.jpg

d36OUxn.jpg

qcdU4U7.jpg

tz3nS4m.jpg

crsx0nd.jpg

1zhqyS9.jpg

Sorry for so many, I was very excited, I can't believe I will no longer have to worry about VAS!

Just now, BradB said:

I'd bail on your flying too Jack . B):lol:  How was the purchase and DL process for you Jack ? .

Cheers

John

I would think you'd love flying with me John!  :lol:

The purchase was a real pain because I waited too long, it started at 1300 EST but I started buying it at 1305 EST.  So I bought it easily, getting it was a dog of a different color!

I had to try several dozen times because the servers were getting slammed.

I don't know if it makes a difference them being one state over from me in Florida.

With my new Uverse fiber at 67 Mbps I downloaded it in 30 minutes.

Then I transported it on a USB thumb drive to the PC, unzipped it and ran the folder over the checksum thingy, all was good.

Yes, I'm a happy camper!

I'm very psyched for FTX on it now.  Like a silly boy I kept running FTX Central to see with wishful thinking it V4 would pop up, but like a good Scottish friend of mine always used to say to me, "In due toime me boy, in due toime."  Tis a fine broth of a man he was.

14 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I would think you'd love flying with me John!  :lol:

The purchase was a real pain because I waited too long, it started at 1300 EST but I started buying it at 1305 EST.  So I bought it easily, getting it was a dog of a different color!

I had to try several dozen times because the servers were getting slammed.

I don't know if it makes a difference them being one state over from me in Florida.

With my new Uverse fiber at 67 Mbps I downloaded it in 30 minutes.

Then I transported it on a USB thumb drive to the PC, unzipped it and ran the folder over the checksum thingy, all was good.

Yes, I'm a happy camper!

I'm very psyched for FTX on it now.  Like a silly boy I kept running FTX Central to see with wishful thinking it V4 would pop up, but like a good Scottish friend of mine always used to say to me, "In due toime me boy, in due toime."  Tis a fine broth of a man he was.

Maybe next year we can meet up at FlightSimCom 2018 in Bradley Conn. I went last year and had a great time bad back and all . The back is better this year but could not schedule visiting my daughter and also attending the conference . I look forward to your progress with V4 while I'm back in Maine .

John

2 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Nice screens, Jack!!! Is PTA history now?

Adam.

Thanks Adam!  Dunno.  I like Iain's and Stewart HDR settings, I like that soft fuzzy glow.  I don't know if PTA will even work in V4, will it?

I liked the screens someone posted today with your preset, very real looking in NZ!

Going to hit the hay.

Been a long day.

Just now, BradB said:

Maybe next year we can meet up at FlightSimCom 2018 in Bradley Conn. I went last year and had a great time bad back and all . The back is better this year but could not schedule visiting my daughter and also attending the conference . I look forward to your progress with V4 while I'm back in Maine .

John

I'd like that John.  If yer ever in Hotlanta lemme know and I'll buy the beer.

1 hour ago, Adam Banks said:

Nice screens, Jack!!! Is PTA history now?

Adam.

Unfortunately looks like PTA won't be compatible with V4 and its upgrade is not planned as the developer (Yuri) said on another forum it would take too much time and it's a just donation ware. 

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Adam!  Dunno.  I like Iain's and Stewart HDR settings, I like that soft fuzzy glow.  I don't know if PTA will even work in V4, will it?

Probably not (see below) - I was thinking more along the lines of "is it needed any more?".

51 minutes ago, ydelta said:

Unfortunately looks like PTA won't be compatible with V4 and its upgrade is not planned as the developer (Yuri) said on another forum it would take too much time and it's a just donation ware. 

I got the impression that Yuri thought the last version of PTA got as far as you could go. I know PTA was hugely popular, but I've no idea how that translated into much of an income for Yuri. Sounds like maybe not :(

Adam.

18 minutes ago, Adam Banks said:

Probably not (see below) - I was thinking more along the lines of "is it needed any more?".

I got the impression that Yuri thought the last version of PTA got as far as you could go. I know PTA was hugely popular, but I've no idea how that translated into much of an income for Yuri. Sounds like maybe not :(

Adam.

No I don't think it is an income-related issue but more the fact that moving to à 64bits version would require a too much development time and as it is precisely just a hobby and not a business he will prefer spending time on other simulation platforms... 

Now everything is not lost, I already saw some tweaks using the shaders modified by PTA in V3 so keep you V3 as it is now and don't delete it!

5 hours ago, BradB said:

Hey Jack , you have convinced me to pull the trigger on V4 . Burning the midnight oil and DL as I type ; it looks like about a 30 minute DL for me .

John

Thanks John, and this is without  Orbx, imagine how nice it'll look with Orbx?

Hope you enjoy it but I'll be on 3.4 for a long time till V4 has all the required things I need.

5 hours ago, jury42 said:

My congratulation Jack !!!!!!!

Thanks Jury!

5 hours ago, ydelta said:

That's too bad, I donated to his worth cause.

4 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice set of shots

Thanks Taph!

4 hours ago, paulb said:

Well done! No waiting around for you Jack! :)

Thanks Paul, no, I wanted to be an early adopter.  As always.

1 hour ago, Neptune6 said:

Nice to see V4 on your PC  and love jok with avatar fall down .

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, now if I could only learn how to control the guy.

1 hour ago, Bermuda425 said:

Crackerbarrel shotz here!

Thanks Erik!

5 minutes ago, fly37 said:

Jack Sawyer, what you show here is the V.4 without  ORBX, and without any add?  Just the naked v.4?

Yep, that's it Giovanni.  I'm hoping Orbx releases FTX real soon.

Hi Jack, as soon as we'll get FTX Vector, I'll jump into v4 - already purchased -. I got the FlyTampa and FSDT patches and new versions for v4; the only issue could be not having FSUIPC, absolutely useful with my Thrustmaster Warthog.

BTW, I'll install it, and I'll see what happens with some airport not native for v4. PMDG and MilViz should be on final for their updates. I'm very excited, actually; just purchased a new GTX 1060 6 gB, a new hard disk for FS Global (arriving the new 2018 version) and very soon an iincrease in RAM memory up to 16 gB. REX has announced a quick update to their Airport HD and Soft Clouds.

Thanks for you shots, Jack.

25 minutes ago, farman said:

Hi Jack, as soon as we'll get FTX Vector, I'll jump into v4 - already purchased -. I got the FlyTampa and FSDT patches and new versions for v4; the only issue could be not having FSUIPC, absolutely useful with my Thrustmaster Warthog.

BTW, I'll install it, and I'll see what happens with some airport not native for v4. PMDG and MilViz should be on final for their updates. I'm very excited, actually; just purchased a new GTX 1060 6 gB, a new hard disk for FS Global (arriving the new 2018 version) and very soon an iincrease in RAM memory up to 16 gB. REX has announced a quick update to their Airport HD and Soft Clouds.

Thanks for you shots, Jack.

Does anyone know how to install FreemeshX?  Daniel said it would work and I have all his files but forgot how I got it into 3.4.

I have a few FlyTapmas, will have to look about their patches.  I'm really looking forward to all my Orbx stuff, AS16, REX for Iain's skies, 

Hi Jack

Henrik Nielsen said  "" Bonjour. Les premiers tests dans P3Dv4 sont jusqu'a maintenant positifs. ""

traduct : "Good day the first TEST in P3Dv4 are for today Positifs . "

your 200AI traffic boat can be installed in your V4

Patrick

4 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

Hi Jack

Henrik Nielsen said  "" Bonjour. Les premiers tests dans P3Dv4 sont jusqu'a maintenant positifs. ""

traduct : "Good day the first TEST in P3Dv4 are for today Positifs . "

your 200AI traffic boat can be installed in your V4

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, can you shoot me a PM when it's ready?

I'm impressed with P3Dv4 so far.  It'll be much better after it's been Orbx-ized.  :-)

LM did a pretty decent job with Logan Airport in Boston, MA. 

A comparison between a GoogleEarth image and P3Dv4 of the tower at Logan Airport...
Logan%20Airport%20-%20Boston%20MA_zpsso1

LM did a nicely with the sky and cloud textures, too, IMHO.
Snow looks a bit CharlieBrown-ish, but at least it's an improvement.  ;-)

Hi Jack -

Nice shots and glad to see you (especially you) still able to fly upside down in v4! :)

I've been missing for awhile - got sucked into XP11 due to my graphics issues but am back with a new graphics card, new hard drive, and now have P3D v4 installed and am ready to bring on the Orbx.

I'm seeing awesome performance so far - an extremely smooth 35-45 FPS or more over Seattle with all of Larry's PNW ferries running about and the Worldwide ships package too.

It's good to be back home with P3D (will still keep XP11 and who knows maybe Aerofly as nice vacation properties though).

What a great time to be into flight simulation!

Steve

20 minutes ago, Republic DC-9 said:

Hi Jack -

Nice shots and glad to see you (especially you) still able to fly upside down in v4! :)

I've been missing for awhile - got sucked into XP11 due to my graphics issues but am back with a new graphics card, new hard drive, and now have P3D v4 installed and am ready to bring on the Orbx.

I'm seeing awesome performance so far - an extremely smooth 35-45 FPS or more over Seattle with all of Larry's PNW ferries running about and the Worldwide ships package too.

It's good to be back home with P3D (will still keep XP11 and who knows maybe Aerofly as nice vacation properties though).

What a great time to be into flight simulation!

Steve

Thanks Steve! :lol:  I think I'd try to drive upside if I could! :lol:

Yes, bring on Orbx, I love 3.4 because it's Orbx perfect but for VAS.

I think it'll be a long while before I get 4 looking like 3.4 but as soon as Orbx is ready, I'm ready, and psyched!

I see you're another one who installed Worldwide Ships, but someone said there were some minor bugs, did you see any as I'd love to see those ships.

I spent the entire day messing with the settings in V4.  I had everything maxed out and I was getting low frames.  So I have to adjust it later.

I can't wait to see how nice Orbx stuff will look though, the default is somewhat awful, I keep thinking this isn't Orbx anymore Toto!

13 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I grew up there, I was there yesterday in V4.  It looks acceptable, I wish Orbx would create a KBOS as I don't want to buy other products.  But I agree with you, overall it's very nice.

Boston was on a way a e new version by FlyTampa; or at least they told me so some month ago. The old onei s still working pretty well in v3. We'll see what's happen in v4. I'm waiting for Vector to install v4. So far all FSDT, FlightBeam, Latin VFR products are fully compatible. 

7 hours ago, farman said:

Boston was on a way a e new version by FlyTampa; or at least they told me so some month ago. The old onei s still working pretty well in v3. We'll see what's happen in v4. I'm waiting for Vector to install v4. So far all FSDT, FlightBeam, Latin VFR products are fully compatible. 

I tried three of the FT's and two have been a major mistake.  Going to stick with Orbx.

Archived