How to find Ayer's Rock

14 minutes ago, tom2rific said:

brilliant shots...the rock rocks !

tom

Thanks Tom, first time ever I saw it in any sim and Orbx did a fantastic job on it.  I would'a landed on it but I know it's sacred so I put the kibosh on that thought ASAP.

My wife and I have travelled to many countries and have left our own country to last.  In real life I am now getting too old and impatient to spend 25 hours in an aircraft. We have joined the "Grey Nomads". This is what retired caravaners/campers are called in Australia as all us retired people start to visit places in our own country.The relevance is that in about three weeks my wife and I will be starting the "pilgrimage" to Uluru (Ayres Rock). It will take us about 8 days to get there driving about 250kms per day. Can't wait:)

PS: Suggestion, do your simming to Ayres Rock right on dusk and watch the colours change which Orbx shows very well!

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I would'a landed on it but I know it's sacred so I put the kibosh on that thought

Congratulations honorary Aussie dude. Thank heavens you did not try to land on it, even walking on it requires special permission from the traditional owners and only on the marked out path. Flying around it must be on the approved pattern at the prescribed altitude so as not to disturb the ancestors' spirits. If you wish to familiarise yourself with it I can get it for you from ERSA (En Route Supplement Australia). I didn't use a fast jet and fell asleep half way, luckily I was trimmed out so, when I woke up I was still at the same altitude, on track - I keep doing that lately. You are right, Orbx did an outstanding job on the rock.

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Tom, first time ever I saw it in any sim and Orbx did a fantastic job on it.  I would'a landed on it but I know it's sacred so I put the kibosh on that thought ASAP.

very respectful....you will be looked after on your continuing journey..       :)

quality of your pics are wonderful Jack..FSX pics can look really good too but colours/contrast/lighting and the detail in your shots...are so much better...

got me thinking about P3D again...

1 hour ago, hwh86 said:

If you wish to familiarise yourself with it I can get it for you from ERSA (En Route Supplement Australia). I didn't use a fast jet and fell asleep half way, luckily I was trimmed out so, when I woke up I was still at the same altitude, on track - I keep doing that lately. You are right, Orbx did an outstanding job on the rock.

hwh86,

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend time here three years ago. I would love to have the approved pattern if you can publish it here. We declined to climb without permission though observing others who did, hopefully through lack of knowledge rather than in spite of it. What an inspiring place!

10 hours ago, adambar said:

Now that's a lotta rock, great shots Jack! :)

Thanks Adam, it's magnificent.

10 hours ago, BradB said:

Or you can start a tad bit closer : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayers_Rock_Airport :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

Thanks John, just read it, I didn't know they could get such large planes in there.  Great article, thanks.

9 hours ago, Bassman said:

My wife and I have travelled to many countries and have left our own country to last.  In real life I am now getting too old and impatient to spend 25 hours in an aircraft. We have joined the "Grey Nomads". This is what retired caravaners/campers are called in Australia as all us retired people start to visit places in our own country.The relevance is that in about three weeks my wife and I will be starting the "pilgrimage" to Uluru (Ayres Rock). It will take us about 8 days to get there driving about 250kms per day. Can't wait:)

PS: Suggestion, do your simming to Ayres Rock right on dusk and watch the colours change which Orbx shows very well!

Thanks Bassman!  What an interesting story, "Grey Nomads" I like it, my wife and I would be the same if we travelled here.  Good on ya Bassman, that's 155 miles per day, a lot of driving, but not impossible if done in comfort.  I hope you and your wife have a very pleasant trip.

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks again Iain!

7 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent Jack. Great colours! :)

Thanks Paul, glad you liked these too!

5 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Simply gorgeous shotz

Thanks Erik, much appreciated!

4 hours ago, hwh86 said:

Congratulations honorary Aussie dude. Thank heavens you did not try to land on it, even walking on it requires special permission from the traditional owners and only on the marked out path. Flying around it must be on the approved pattern at the prescribed altitude so as not to disturb the ancestors' spirits. If you wish to familiarise yourself with it I can get it for you from ERSA (En Route Supplement Australia). I didn't use a fast jet and fell asleep half way, luckily I was trimmed out so, when I woke up I was still at the same altitude, on track - I keep doing that lately. You are right, Orbx did an outstanding job on the rock.

Thanks Les, I gave it a thought but thought it might offend, I have read about how sacred it is the the indigenous people so I wanted to show respect.  I would love to visit it in real life someday, it's on my "bucket list."

Please post or PM me with the flight path, I'm very keen to see the how's and why's of it.

3 hours ago, tom2rific said:

very respectful....you will be looked after on your continuing journey..       :)

quality of your pics are wonderful Jack..FSX pics can look really good too but colours/contrast/lighting and the detail in your shots...are so much better...

got me thinking about P3D again...

Thanks Tom!  Well, I can't take much credit, Adam banks and his PTA are what do it.  That thing works magic in P3D to be sure.

2 hours ago, paddler said:

hwh86,

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend time here three years ago. I would love to have the approved pattern if you can publish it here. We declined to climb without permission though observing others who did, hopefully through lack of knowledge rather than in spite of it. What an inspiring place!

I agree Les, it's amazing to me that when I was flying I was wondering if I'd ever find it.  I had the GTN750 set to Alice so I would know when I reached 180 miles and with the real weather on it got very hazy in that area then all of a sudden, like a ship in the fog, it materialized, I know it's a sim but it was still thrilling to see it just suddenly show up.

The basic answer to your question, Jack is: Ask the locals.

Quite easy: Walk three days in the direction of the evening sun. When you hit the 3rd water pond in a series of 4, turn in the angle of a boomerang to the left. Walk til you come to the dry river bed with the crocodile bones. Turn back towards the evening sun and go on until you see the grandmother of the trees. Then just follow the birds that fly every morning after mother sun comes out.

Or install this add-on and start from there in VFR: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2269-yaye-connellan-airport-the-olgas-nt-australia/ 

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

The basic answer to your question, Jack is: Ask the locals.

Quite easy: Walk three days in the direction of the evening sun. When you hit the 3rd water pond in a series of 4, turn in the angle of a boomerang to the left. Walk til you come to the dry river bed with the crocodile bones. Turn back towards the evening sun and go on until you see the grandmother of the trees. Then just follow the birds that fly every morning after mother sun comes out.

Or install this add-on and start from there in VFR: http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/2269-yaye-connellan-airport-the-olgas-nt-australia/ 

Just had a look, too cool for words.  Will have to do this as soon as I get back from some real-world apps. today.

I like your description Gerold, crocodile bones, yikes!

Fantastic shots Jack and a wonderful sight Ayres Rock and the Olgas are.

Climbed the rock in 1983 and a great experience it was too.

This was before all the modern development and it had a real outback feel to it.

Thanks Les!  This is a very interesting map.  Quite the limitations here and I can't blame them really.  I like how they say "Sensitive areas..."  Pretty good.

Don't mention it Jack, just enjoy it.

11 hours ago, paddler said:

I would love to have the approved pattern if you can publish it here.

Here you are paddler, Glad to oblige and help.

I like your description Gerold, crocodile bones, yikes!

You aint seen not'n' yet mate. Mind you, poor bloody crocodile, must have walked a long way from Darwin on dry land, no wonder it died of thirst.

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Fantastic shots Jack and a wonderful sight Ayres Rock and the Olgas are.

Climbed the rock in 1983 and a great experience it was too.

This was before all the modern development and it had a real outback feel to it.

Someday, the Divines willing, I may go.  It would be a trip of a lifetime.  Gotta fix my heart and knee first.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Someday, the Divines willing, I may go.  It would be a trip of a lifetime.  Gotta fix my heart and knee first.

Don't worry Jack, I have lived here for 47 years and I still haven't been there. Not bloody likely now either. This is where Orbx scenery and flight simulation makes it possible for old dudes like us to get around without getting dressed even, still sitting in the bedroom in front of a computer sipping a cup of coffee.

3 minutes ago, hwh86 said:

Don't worry Jack, I have lived here for 47 years and I still haven't been there. Not bloody likely now either. This is where Orbx scenery and flight simulation makes it possible for old dudes like us to get around without getting dressed even, still sitting in the bedroom in front of a computer sipping a cup of coffee.

:lol: Ha!  Well said Les, I love it!

39 minutes ago, Orbxtreme said:

Great shots Jack, and this jet really is an easy one to fly, it lands everywhere a single engine piston aircraft lands.

Thanks Francois!  It is, I love this little jet as it's so nimble and easy to fly.

Archived