Nanaimo to Ganges by boat

bernd1151

Doing this trip by boat is a natural with the excellent scenery of Larry. One year ago we have left Pago Pago, have crossed the Pacific, have given our boat a new paint and plan to explore now the waters around Vancouver Island. With fresh supplies on board we will do a short cruise to Ganges

route.0396.jpg

2017-4-22_0-32-30-688.jpg

2017-4-22_0-36-25-992.jpg

2017-4-28_23-27-36-516.jpg

Slowly we pull out of our berth

2017-4-22_0-40-52-332.jpg

2017-4-28_23-34-1-445.jpg

2017-4-28_23-34-14-910.jpg

2017-4-28_23-34-52-945.jpg

2017-4-28_23-36-26-611.jpg

2017-4-28_23-38-1-88.jpg

In the Trincomali Channel on our way to pass Thetis Island

2017-4-28_23-42-47-912.jpg

2017-4-28_23-44-45-393.jpg

Gulf Island is to our starboard side

2017-4-28_23-46-3-845.jpg

Round Gulf island and Ganges can be seen in the distance

2017-4-28_23-55-25-866.jpg

2017-4-29_0-3-24-465.jpg

2017-4-29_0-3-47-492.jpg

Ooops, the harbor master yells at us that we cannot enter the inner marina. With 86 ft we are to large

2017-4-29_0-4-42-181.jpg

Slowly we pull back and dock close to the pier that is reserved for planes

2017-4-29_0-5-38-469.jpg

2017-4-29_0-7-50-344.jpg

Let’s check out the “Oystercatcher” for dinner

2017-4-29_0-8-7-818.jpg

2017-4-29_0-9-5-911.jpg

2017-4-29_0-11-1-681.jpg

I have to admit, this is getting addictive. ORBX is just perfect for this kind of activity. I hope you don't mind showing you these.

What a great trip Bernd! Did you remember to check the tides at Dodd Narrows? http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/1611.html

You sure would not want to pile your fancy yacht up on the rocks by going through at other than slack water. Or maybe you like an adventure. :)

Did your deck hand serve cocktails at 5?  Boat like that, well you gotta have a paid deck hand. :)

Pender Harbour will come with a pilotable version of the pleasure craft shown in the screen shots so that’s one more boat for you to play with. No VC however.  Maybe I should start putting the good anchorages in my user guides. Just kidding!

Bernd!  Bernd!!!!!  These are incredible!  I mean they're so good Orbx should use them as a promotion.  I can't believe how real they look, not to mention really really cool!

I'd love to download them and maybe use them for a comic someday but never, ever without permission.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Bernd!  Bernd!!!!!  These are incredible!  I mean they're so good Orbx should use them as a promotion.  I can't believe how real they look, not to mention really really cool!

I'd love to download them and maybe use them for a comic someday but never, ever without permission.

+1 - I guess we need to start a Nautical sub forum . :rolleyes::P:D

Cheers

John

These are fantastic, Berndt. A whole new level of screenie realism. And I love this burst of boating activity - it's the ultimate form of "low and slow" if you think about it. It won't replace the  aircraft by any means, but it is a great way to see some of this fantastic scenery, and that's always been the main thing for me anyway, so keep em coming. This is inspirational stuff!

9 hours ago, Larry_R said:

What a great trip Bernd! Did you remember to check the tides at Dodd Narrows? http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/1611.html

You sure would not want to pile your fancy yacht up on the rocks by going through at other than slack water. Or maybe you like an adventure. :)

Did your deck hand serve cocktails at 5?  Boat like that, well you gotta have a paid deck hand. :)

Pender Harbour will come with a pilotable version of the pleasure craft shown in the screen shots so that’s one more boat for you to play with. No VC however.  Maybe I should start putting the good anchorages in my user guides. Just kidding!

I knew, you would like them, Larry ;) Luckily our deck hand was a local, so he knew about the tides at Dodd Narrows. He was so good, that I decided to swap roles, so I served cocktails instead ;)

Can't wait to explore Pender Harbour!

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Wow, thank you so much, Jack. And yes, feel free to use whichever you want. Actually I would be honored

5 hours ago, BradB said:

I guess we need to start a Nautical sub forum . :rolleyes::P:D

Cheers

John

Thank you very much John, and yes, I'd second that :)

3 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent series Bernd! :) I think that we might all start buying boats!

Thanks a lot, Paul

2 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Splendid set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Many thanks, Iain

1 hour ago, andy1252 said:

These are fantastic, Berndt. A whole new level of screenie realism. And I love this burst of boating activity - it's the ultimate form of "low and slow" if you think about it. It won't replace the  aircraft by any means, but it is a great way to see some of this fantastic scenery, and that's always been the main thing for me anyway, so keep em coming. This is inspirational stuff!

Thank you so much, Andy  "- it's the ultimate form of "low and slow" if you think about it." I fully agree

3 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Wow, thank you so much, Jack. And yes, feel free to use whichever you want. Actually I would be honored

Got 'em all Bernd.  Thank you for your permission, I hope to do them justice in a comic soon.  I might have to make two or more comics as they have six panels.  I can make more panels but then they get too small.  Sometimes for a comic's preparation I'll go into the sim and take 100 screens and only use six.  It'll be a surprise when I make them, as they take a lot of work.

Cheers!

Fantastic set Bernd and a very relaxing way to travel on a day the Weather Gods were on your side.

How good is it that we can fly, drive and sail around this wonderful ORBX scenery, the possibilities are endless.:)

On ‎30‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 10:29 AM, BradB said:

+1 - I guess we need to start a Nautical sub forum . :rolleyes::P:D

Cheers

John

A good idea John but you would only be able see the scenery through a periscope.:blink:

Holy smokes Bernd. Truly wonderful. I know these waterway quite well and you're so right about orbx doing such a great job with the sceneries reality. Well done and a well deserved Martini in the hot tub. Or two? But only after Dodd Narrows as Larry suggested.

Bernd,  as long as we are dreaming, here's an idea for a trip where you would see a lot of Orbx scenery if you have it all:  starting from Germany, hop in your corporate jet and fly to Vancouver International with stops where needed.  The company has a pilot, but of course you prefer to fly the aircraft yourself.  :)

Park your jet at CYVR and take the Saltspring Air charter you personal assistant has arranged over to Ganges. Jump onboard your yacht (one of several that you keep here and there) and head up to Nanaimo, this time perhaps via Sansum Narrows just for fun. Be sure to say hello to Paul Allen if his yacht happens to be in the area.  :)  

Larry

Archived