My other hobby

John Venema

Apart from my Orbx responsibilities my other passion is cars and motorsport. 

Orbx sponsors my E46 BMW M3 race car (nicknamed "Project Tango") which was developed through 2016 by another company I have invested in, Ergen Motorsport in the UK. The orignal M3 road car was completely stripped down to the bare metal and rebuilt as a race car over a six month period.

The race car has a custom roll cage, motorsport digital dash with lap timing system, fire extinguisher system, removable steering wheel,  race electric system and carbon race seats with six-point harnesses. It is very LOUD inside since all the noise dampening has been removed.

So far it has done about 10 track days around the UK and I've also taken it to the Nurburgring In Germany and Spa in Belgium. This summer we will be developing the car further with more track days and also an entry in the Khumo Cup series for one race.

We recently had some glamour shots made, so I'm sharing those here :) 

qZNk.jpg

72qz.jpg

4NDq.jpg

prNV.jpg

gkRw.jpg

B3o5.jpg

r9Ng.jpg

ZZP7.jpg

QDgA.jpg

Great shots JV! :) Seriously impressive!

That must be fun! I have owned five BMWs, all great cars. My closest to yours (but not even slightly close in performance terms :D) was the same model 328i. I had it for 5 years.

The fastest road legal car that I owned was a Lexus ISF.

Yep, I love motor racing too, but am getting too old for it now.

What a fantastic car, John, thanks for sharing those pics with us !! I am a car nut myself, but I am more into vintage cars. Many many moons ago, Opel launched in Germany a cute little sportscar, the GT. The promotional slogan in those days was: only flying is better. With your ORBX stickers on your beamer, you have the best of both worlds in one package ;)

Very nice John!  How many horsepower?  My Vette has 400 but this fall I'm going to buy a new Vette with 632+ horse.  Your car has an awesome paint scheme, and the Orbx logo is a nice touch.  Look forward to seeing more photos.  Good on ya!

And if you're gonna drive it, please be safe, we need you here.

1 minute ago, John Venema said:

Pushing 310bhp now but we have an external ECU and dyno happening soon which will bring it up to 375bhp. The key is the weight which is around 1150kg.

Outstanding John!  Brilliant work and man do I envy you the fun.

I reckon you'll be not only having the time of your life but mayhap racking up trophies.

Good for you and I hope you have a wonderful time with it.  And by all means, please keep us posted?  

Speaking for myself I'd love a fixed thread of your adventures.

Thanks for the specs John and with that HP and weight you should be pinned back in your seat!

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Absolutely  amazing John, your very fortunate and I'm green with envy. Nice to see all this, it must have been a blast.  How

fast did you get it going in Germany on that track?

I love this kind game of stuff.

Cheers!

Here's my first ever lap of Nurburgring in damp conditions, about 11 mins. When it dried up I got times just under 9 mins which is ok for a newbie :)

Glad you stayed off the curbs in the wet!  Would be a shame to mangle the car if you put it in the ARMCO.  Does look like you got a bit more aggressive after the Karussell!

Was that a GT3 that blew by at 5:17?!

Archived