It started slow & low...

Stillwater

... when I took off from Christchurch and headed south over the Canterbury plains...

2017-1-8_17-27CanterburyPlains.jpg
2017-1-8_17-32-18-801.jpg

I crossed Rakaia river...

2017-1-8_17-45RakaiaRiver.jpg

... and turned into the mountains, towards Lake Emma, ...

2017-1-8_18-20LakeEmma.jpg

... and with Mt. Harper behind.

2017-1-8_18-23MtHarper.jpg

Then I started to search for Mt. Sunday, which was used in LOTR as Edoras - but I did not recognize it. BTW, on the south (left) side of the valley Helms Deep can be found, naturally without the castle.

2017-1-8_18-35EdorasHelmsDeep.jpg

After this disappointment I spontanously decided to climb across the mountains in front of me (and initially forgot to turn on the carburator heat, followed by the engine failure - which I could reverse, luckily).

2017-1-8_18-49SouthernAlps.jpg

Some 8500 ft altitude meant a little work for the Katana. But the result was some nice views of Whataroa river, ...

2017-1-8_18-53WhataroaRiver.jpg

... Franz-Josef Glacier, ...

2017-1-8_19-0Franz-JosefGlacier.jpg
2017-1-8_19-1-4-764.jpg
2017-1-8_19-3FJG.jpg

... and - finally - the Waiho valley, ...

2017-1-8_19-6Waihovalley.jpg
2017-1-8_19-7FJG.jpg
2017-1-8_19-13Waiho.jpg

... where I descended into Franz-Josef airstrip NZFJ.

2017-1-8_19-16Franz-Josefairstrip.jpg
2017-1-8_19-18NZFJ.jpg

Thank you for commenting, @RJ, @Iain Emms and @bernd1151 !

20 hours ago, JimNZ said:

This is amazing.  Just as I remember it in reality, really top pictures, great commentary.  Beautifully done.

JimNZ

Thanks for your compliments, Jim. I always enjoy getting memories when I virtually travel to places I have been before (which is not the case with NZL for me).

20 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Extremely nice pictures from NZ once more, Thanks.

Thanks, Roger!

19 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful shots Gerold, it is highly enjoyable crossing the mountains in such a small plane.

The reason you could not find Mount Sunday is because it is only Thursday where you are.:rolleyes:

OK, so I´ll have to repeat the tour somehow between Saturday and Monday. The question remains...: GMT or NZST?

You have just proving that these small planes can even survive up in Alaska. I would have been to reluctand to have my avatar freezing up there.

14 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Top-level bunch of shotz, especially the last one!

Thanks Bermuda. A little 3D grass, some detail on an airport and - by chance - a soft approach.

9 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Nice trip en very informative!

I feel sharing observations & questions is part of the fun here - both reading & writing...!

18 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

great shots I love NZ, thinking of doing an experience pack there, wonder how well it wold go 

Indeed a good question, and my beloved lawn mowers would also be fitting there. 

However i would expect NZL airstrips & villages to be a bit more conservative than the exotic ones, like in PNG. Or perhaps up in the Andes, or Vietnam, or Nepal, or...

58 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Indeed a good question, and my beloved lawn mowers would also be fitting there. 

However i would expect NZL airstrips & villages to be a bit more conservative than the exotic ones, like in PNG. Or perhaps up in the Andes, or Vietnam, or Nepal, or...

Your mower would not be needed Gerold as they have about 30 million mutton mowers there. When your conventional lawn mower wont work you send it to the tip but the mutton mower can end up on the BBQ.

There are some great mountainous strips in NZ, obviously not tropical and the few I have visited have been uninhabited but still they can be a challenge.

20 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

great shots I love NZ, thinking of doing an experience pack there, wonder how well it wold go 

What a great idea Ken. I will start the ball rolling and say I would buy it for sure.

Thank you, @Voyager and @Guinea-Pig on Glideslope!

20 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Great set Gerold, loved the tour and that's a nice plane.  Is it a Carenado?  Someday I'm going to try to go to NZ, some lucky day.

Jack, the plane is Marcel Felde´s DA20 Katana, distributed by Aerosoft. Slightly more realistic than the Carenados, regarding cold starts, effects, defects, but also rewarding. I have added the default autopilot for more relaxed distance-flying.

1 minute ago, Stillwater said:

Thank you, @Voyager and @Guinea-Pig on Glideslope!

Jack, the plane is Marcel Felde´s DA20 Katana, distributed by Aerosoft. Slightly more realistic than the Carenados, regarding cold starts, effects, defects, but also rewarding. I have added the default autopilot for more relaxed distance-flying.

Thanks Gerold but sadly it's for FSX only.  What a pity as I like your version better than the other one.  Man, I wish more plane makers would support both.

Archived