Over Lake Okanagan into Kelowna

bernd1151

Thank you very much, gents

16 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Is it PMDG or someone else?  

This one is from CLS, Jack and is sold by JustFlight in HD version. It comes with a freight and as you have seen in the screenshot from TTM, also a 747-300 version. Pretty good value and the steam gauges in the excellent VC look great. Just in case you want to have look, go here:

http://www.justflight.com/product/747-200-300-hd-fsx

4 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Thank you very much, gents

This one is from CLS, Jack and is sold by JustFlight in HD version. It comes with a freight and as you have seen in the screenshot from TTM, also a 747-300 version. Pretty good value and the steam gauges in the excellent VC look great. Just in case you want to have look, go here:

http://www.justflight.com/product/747-200-300-hd-fsx

Will check it out right now.

I'm looking forward to the PMDG version but then I have to dial back all my sliders as it'll probably be a VAS hog.  I dunno, it might not be, we'll see.  I think they said it'll be out of beta around the year 2078? :lol:

Well, dang, I just looked, no P3D installers.  :(

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I have used the EMT installer, but I know that you don't want to. But didn't you also succeed recently to install in P3D a Carenado plane (I have forgotten which one), that doesn't come with a P3D installer?

The PMDG one will be a different cattle of fish (I once had the FS9 version), not only ressource-wise, but also systems-wise. Everytime I wanted to fly it, it took me almost 30 minutes before the plane was ready to roll. If I didn't follow exactly the start-up procedures, it was constantly screaming at me :D 

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Sorry Jack, I was wrong with my previous statement. It did come with a P3D installer. I also just checked their website again via the link I provided you and at the bottom they say also P3D v.3

4 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Sorry Jack, I was wrong with my previous statement. It did come with a P3D installer. I also just checked their website again via the link I provided you and at the bottom they say also P3D v.3

'ell I be!  I'll be a monkey's uncle if it ain't true.  Might have to somehow sneak it under the wife's radar.  Dunno if I can just yet. :huh:  Looks mighty purdy though!  :wub:

27 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

I have used the EMT installer, but I know that you don't want to. But didn't you also succeed recently to install in P3D a Carenado plane (I have forgotten which one), that doesn't come with a P3D installer?

The PMDG one will be a different cattle of fish (I once had the FS9 version), not only ressource-wise, but also systems-wise. Everytime I wanted to fly it, it took me almost 30 minutes before the plane was ready to roll. If I didn't follow exactly the start-up procedures, it was constantly screaming at me :D 

I did, I installed one of 'em, can't remember which one now.

That PMDG, gosh I don't know.  I have the NGX in FSX which I never use anymore.  I haven't booted FSX in a dog's age.

I know what you mean, heck, it's like that at work on the real 767's I work on!

I think it'll be a lot of money too.  Since I spent so much on Orbx stuff how am I gonna enjoy PeopleFlow and butterflies at 35000 feet?

It's hard to go low and slow in a 747 say at Bella Coola!  :lol:

I'll probably be the last one to buy it.

Heck, for that kind of money I can but a lot of Orbx airports!

On 7.11.2016 at 8:23 PM, Stillwater said:

A great area to fly, but I would never have selected that plane for Kelowna!

22 hours ago, PDX Flyer said:

Nice part of the country.  Although, that runway looks a tad short to me?

15 hours ago, moonman said:

Not sure either, if i'd have taken a 747 for this flight, as Gerold also mentioned. On the other hand though ... why not? ;)

That's an interesting issue, so let's have a look at some data: at ground zero and 15 degrees celsius a fully loaded B-744 with a MTOW of 396 tons needs a runway length of some 3,400 m to get airborne. Move that airport up to 1,000 ft and let's increase the temp to 35 degrees celsius, the MTOW at that same airport will have to be reduced to 360 t. A 744 that flies for example from Frankfurt at daytime in Nov. to LA has a typical TOW of some 320 t and rotates after around 2,400 m.  If you land such a plane, it's next to the temp and the location of the airport also the weight plus the position of the flaps that play an important part. For a flight from Frankfurt to LA, that 744 would need at the end a runway of just 2,200 m to come safely to a complete stop. 

In my case I flew a lighter 742 and approached Kelowna at daytime in Nov. with fully extended flaps and brought her to a complete stop with an early touch down using some 1,900 m of rwy 34. And pushed harder, I could have made it stop even sooner. This runway might indeed look short on my screenies, but it has a length of 2700 m ;)

One more thing I forgot to mention, just a bit of trivia: in Sept. 1997 a Cathay Pacific 747-400 landed and later of course took also off from the airport of Paderborn in Germany. At that time Paderborn had a runway length of 2180 m ;)

9 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

That's an interesting issue, so let's have a look at some data: at ground zero and 15 degrees celsius a fully loaded B-744 with a MTOW of 396 tons needs a runway length of some 3,400 m to get airborne. Move that airport up to 1,000 ft and let's increase the temp to 35 degrees celsius, the MTOW at that same airport will have to be reduced to 360 t. A 744 that flies for example from Frankfurt at daytime in Nov. to LA has a typical TOW of some 320 t and rotates after around 2,400 m.  If you land such a plane, it's next to the temp and the location of the airport also the weight plus the position of the flaps that play an important part. For a flight from Frankfurt to LA, that 744 would need at the end a runway of just 2,200 m to come safely to a complete stop. 

In my case I flew a lighter 742 and approached Kelowna at daytime in Nov. with fully extended flaps and brought her to a complete stop with an early touch down using some 1,900 m of rwy 34. And pushed harder, I could have made it stop even sooner. This runway might indeed look short on my screenies, but it has a length of 2700 m ;)

9 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

One more thing I forgot to mention, just a bit of trivia: in Sept. 1997 a Cathay Pacific 747-400 landed and later of course took also off from the airport of Paderborn in Germany. At that time Paderborn had a runway length of 2180 m ;)

Great info here Bernd!

Thank You very much for it!

There are even plans for future expansions of CYLW's runway sometime in the 2020's, so ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelowna_International_Airport

... getting a 747 and planes of similar size down there savely should not be that hard then at all.

However - and as much as i really enjoy flying around with "the heavies" (especially the PMDG ones) - when it comes down to flying around in Canada and/or Alaska, i mainly enjoy flying with some smaller aircraft, via VFR whenever possible in good old "low and slow mode".

:)

Archived