Glorious 4K

John Venema

Just a quick update now that I have my 32" 4K monitor setup. Here's the details on the monitor, a very impressive bit of kit that can run at native 3840x2160 (4K) resolution at 60Hz using Nvidia G-Sync - http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.JX1EE.001

Strangely enough, I have almost zero impact on FPS when running P3D 3.4.9 all sliders maxed at 4K versus 1080p.

I wanted to return to Valdez to re-create the 1080p screenshots I've been using for my desktop background in glorious 4K, so here they are:

Valdex_4K_5.jpg

Valdex_4K_0.jpg

Valdex_4K_2.jpg

Valdex_4K_3.jpg

Valdex_4K_1.jpg

Valdex_4K_4.jpg

Remember, these images are at 3840x2160 resolution so to see them and save them at full resolution, click on each one then click on the "Full Size" link on the bottom left of the screenshot.

Once we launch the new OrbxDirect website I hope to start a blog with regular updates which will journal screenshots and videos from around the Orbx world and also share some videos of my race car antics around Europe. Stay tuned.

Gadzooks! That is some seriously fine looking scenery. About the only thing I can brag about today is; for some unknown reason my unlimited FPS rate has been pounding my so-so monitor in the high 100's. Wish I knew what I or the computer did or didn't do to cause such a number.

Love it, what plane is that?

I cannot wait to get a bigger card, and a smaller monitor to run at 4k native.

Currently I am on a 55" HSTV, set at DSRx4. Just not the same.

And I have finally figured out that although it is awesome for the VC view, there will always be a slight jagged edge on things at that size with just HD.

Years ago when I was training in a Cessna 150 there was a Tomahawk on the field that a guy used to train a rare student here and there (he was always gone on business so many students would give up and go to my instructor).

I always wanted to ask him for an hour in the Tomahawk, I wish I had.

Re-discovering old favourites. This is YSTW Tamworth, a project I spent a long time working on with John, Tim and the early Orbx team. To come back now, years after I last visited in FSX and to see the lighting and shadows at play; it's like a whole new airport. Fantastic really.

It goes to show how timeless these sceneries are, they keep on giving back many years after you've invested in them, as PC power and sim technology develops.

2016-10-22_18-0-13-82.jpg

2016-10-22_18-5-17-891.jpg

2016-10-22_18-38-10-289.jpg

2016-10-22_18-8-36-387.jpg

2016-10-22_18-38-53-570.jpg

2016-10-22_18-6-54-731.jpg

2016-10-22_18-36-40-945.jpg

2016-10-22_18-33-22-281.jpg

2016-10-22_18-3-43-918.jpg

I always dreamed of seeing my beloved YSTW in a sim like this, how lucky we are to have such power to render these creations as we envisioned them!

These are amazing.  This is what I'm striving for, a monitor like that.  I'll soon be getting an upgraded PC and I'm going to probably buy that same monitor.  Really superb photoreal shots John.  Keep them coming and I think a blog would be a cool idea.

Archived