Islands in the sun

Stillwater

Not where Harry Belafonte was seeking for them: Here it is the East Frisian Islands, a touristic hotspot of my childhood - and again nowadays (thanks to the warmer summers). Out of Emden...

2016-9-25_16-27Emden.jpg

... visiting @Wolter van der Spoels country in Uithuizen...

2016-9-25_16-35Uithuizen.jpg

... and to Borkum. Was there with a school tour about 40 years ago, all Germans here will remember the feared red tea...

2016-9-25_16-50Borkum.jpg

Next island is Juist, ...

2016-9-25_16-54Juist.jpg
2016-9-25_17-32Juist.jpg

... followed by Norderney ...

2016-9-25_17-36Norderney.jpg

... Baltrum, ... 

2016-9-25_17-40Baltrum.jpg

... and Langeoog. I have been to nearly all of these islands - by foot from the mainland. During low tide you can walk these ways, but is needs experienced guides to find the right ways (you can not see them), and to have a safe timing. Without them it is a deadly risk.

2016-9-25_17-43Langeoog.jpg
2016-9-25_17-47EDWL.jpg
2016-9-25_17-53Langeoog.jpg

Usually you go back by ferry, e. g. to Bensersiel, ...

2016-9-25_17-55Bensersiel.jpg

... and cross the wonderful flat lands. If you look out of your window you can already see who is going to visit you tomorrow.

2016-9-25_17-56-57-873.jpg

Wittmund AB. One of my office colleagues did his military service there on F-4A´s (these should be the statics there, instead of F-18).

2016-9-25_18-3WittmundAB.jpg

Finally, for today, we find ourselves in Bremerhaven-Luneort. Good fish restaurants nearby!

2016-9-25_18-58Luneort.jpg
2016-9-25_19-2EDWB.jpg

On 28.9.2016 at 10:57 PM, Bermuda425 said:

Picturesque and captivating bunch of shotz with fascinating explanations! Also the plane is local to that area, nicely done!

Thanks, Bermuda! If ever possible I use local paints for my flights...

On 28.9.2016 at 11:09 PM, Voyager said:

Great ride out there with your memories.

Nice screenshots indeed!

Voyager

Thanks, Voyager. Not always positive memories, I mean the youth hostel tea...

On 28.9.2016 at 11:48 PM, RJ said:

Incredible set. :)

Thank you, RJ!

On 29.9.2016 at 0:08 AM, bernd1151 said:

Excellent journey, Gerold, to our common stomping ground :)

You mean you also know the taste of that red & sweet treat?

On 29.9.2016 at 2:33 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Very beautiful and interesting too Gerold!  I'd love to hike out to those islands.

Indeed, an experience that is unique in that region.

On 29.9.2016 at 4:15 AM, olderndirt said:

Those low tide excursions sound exciting - must be fairly difficult walking with an inflatable raft strapped to your 'hintern' :).

No, no, nothing strapped to the south pole. You need some kind of shoes to protect your feet from the shells, and they go either into garbage or laundry after the walk.

On 29.9.2016 at 11:16 AM, Wolter van der Spoel said:

Velly noice pics and story Gerold ! B)

Thanks, Wolter. And I am sure you know this region also...

On 29.9.2016 at 1:03 PM, andy1252 said:

Great shots and a great tour! Thanks, Gerold

Thanks, Andy. 

On 29.9.2016 at 3:17 PM, PDX Flyer said:

Many times I think our childhood memories can be bigger than life.  But in the case of your wonderful pictures, I think you are Orbx delivered.

BTW, is that default scenery or some type of special scenery pack?  It looks outstanding.

These memories come back with Orbx. Is this something you can value in money?

Re your question: I have DEX deactivated, this is all pure FTX GEN.

Sorry for the late reply Gerold ,  I am in Maine visiting my daughter . What a marvelous tour of this part of GEN my friend 

I can't wait to get home to join you all back in the sky's of Orbx . :):)

Cheers

John

22 hours ago, quietboy said:

Nice shots and nice place, thanks !!!

Thank you, quietboy!

22 hours ago, magicgriff said:

Nice set of shots!

Thanks, griff.

12 hours ago, BradB said:

Sorry for the late reply Gerold ,  I am in Maine visiting my daughter . What a marvelous tour of this part of GEN my friend 

I can't wait to get home to join you all back in the sky's of Orbx . :):)

Cheers

John

I am waiting for you to meet in the German skies. However, currently i am also travelling, and i try to capture examples for another rl-sim comparison...

23 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Great shots, your shaders look so real, are you using the PTA tool and if so do you have a link to your settings.

No tricks, Ken, just FSX with Steves Fixer. And the weather was as good as in reality...

16 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Nice set of shots. looks like paradise.B)

cheers

Gumby

Thanks, Gumby. I have to admit the weather was brilliant in August and September up here in the north. Typical would be grey skies, frequent showers and occasional wind. [Anything under 7 bft is not considered as wind.] 

• 2 weeks later...

Enthralling set Gerold with a great narration.

Always great to fly around a place that we know from the past especially for the likes of me who have moved to the other side of the world.

You would be so happy now GEN is out and to have half of your country so well covered.

On 12.10.2016 at 9:36 PM, VH-KDK said:

Enthralling set Gerold with a great narration.

Always great to fly around a place that we know from the past especially for the likes of me who have moved to the other side of the world.

You would be so happy now GEN is out and to have half of your country so well covered.

Thanks, Martyn. Indeed it is a pleasure to (finally) have my home ground in Orbx quality - though it makes my decision "where-to-fly-next" even more difficult... ;D

Archived