Grand Canyon

Toto-Free

5 hours ago, John Dow said:

My Windows 10 security blocked it as malware.

I don't think I've downloaded anything from OzX to my Win10 pc before, so maybe it's just a Win10 security issue?

It's amazing in all ways and its FREEWARE, but a donation is welcome.  Plus you do not have to install a million gigs that MegaScenery AZ. seems to call for. 

Together with NA/LC, FTX Global, Vector and OZx Grand Canyon. Setting up a VOR  flight  ( low altitude ) from Marble Canyon over to KSEZ... That should put a smile on your face.  

19 hours ago, h3pilot said:

My Windows 10 security blocked it as malware.

I don't think I've downloaded anything from OzX to my Win10 pc before, so maybe it's just a Win10 security issue?

My Windows 7 MSE also complains and blocked it (My translation from the messages in french...)

Reasons : Intallation program of grouped malwares : It may install other programs non wanted.

The question is about this "may"...

Gérard

7 hours ago, gaab said:

My Windows 7 MSE also complains and blocked it (My translation from the messages in french...)

Reasons : Intallation program of grouped malwares : It may install other programs non wanted.

The question is about this "may"...

6 hours ago, spud said:

False positive the Grand Canyon scenery from OZx is perfectly safe.  Been using it for at least 5 or 6 years.

I have downloaded files from OzX before with no issues and assumed that the Grand Canyon was probably OK too.

I'm not a security guru and tend to lean toward not installing things that windows security doesn't like.  Especially non essential things, like freeware sim add-ons.

Given OzX's, longstanding, good reputation, I may go ahead and install it.  

I was just curious if other people were getting the same warning or if there might be a genuine issue with the file I downloaded.

Thanks for the feedback. 

35 minutes ago, Wakashi said:

I'm running Win 10 and received no messages in the download and it installed fine and works great.

Roger

When I click the download link, Windows Defender pops up with a malware alert notification and then a threat alert.  It automatically blocks the download and quarantines the file.

:unsure: ??  Nothing makes it to my downloads folder.  I'll have to investigate if I can "un-quarantine" the file.

18 minutes ago, h3pilot said:

When I click the download link, Windows Defender pops up with a malware alert notification and then a threat alert.  It automatically blocks the download and quarantines the file.

:unsure: ??  Nothing makes it to my downloads folder.  I'll have to investigate if I can "un-quarantine" the file.

Matt,

If this is Win 10 that you are running, you will have to Turn OFF Windows Defender in order to install the file. And don't fret about having to turn Defender back ON, because Win 10 automatically turns it back on when you restart. There is a way to permanently turn OFF defender if you like, but it's much more complicated than it used to be. If you Google that, there is a YouTube video that walks you through the steps on how to permanently turn it off. 

I had the same problem when I installed P3D v3...Defender kept saying it was a virus and would quarantine the executable. Once I did enough research to find out that everyone using Win 10 was having the same problem, I then figured out how to get around the problem. I don't want to turn this into a Microsoft bashing, but this whole change with Windows Defender is so that the average Win 10 user does not change settings so easily without proper knowledge on what those changes might do or allow. 

Thanks Nick and Sniper31.

I also figured out how to un-quarantine the file.

- In Windows Defender you click the History tab

- Click All detectable items

- Check the box next to the file

- Click Allow item

- Then re-download the file, it will download normally.

Edit:

I have to say that was a new add-on experience.

The file that is downloaded from OzX is OZx2Go_Grand_Canyon_V2.zip

You extract it and run the 1.03MB OZx2Go_Grand_Canyon_V2.exe

That opens a window where you download another file (525.28MB) Grand_Canyon_KGCN_V2.zip

Unzip and run Grand_Canyon_KGCN_V2.exe

That opens an installer, where you need to pick where to send the scenery folder.

The installer will create an OZx_World folder, with the scenery folder Grand_Canyon_KGCN inside, at the location you told it to.

You then start P3D, open the scenery library, click add scenery, and point to the Grand_Canyon_KGCN folder.

Thanks h3pilot !

5 hours ago, h3pilot said:

I have to say that was a new add-on experience.

With your explanations, I decided to go on...

You were right - this bootstrap procedure is not common :wacko:

Happy flying !

Gérard

I've used BlueSkyScenery Grand Canyon, and the new OzX version is a significant improvement.  The photoreal in BlueSky does not drape well over the mesh, and the scenery has blurry details where OzX has crisper ground textures, like gravel or sand.  BlueSky always looked too much like ice cream melting down the sides of the canyons.  

3 hours ago, Griphos said:

I've used BlueSkyScenery Grand Canyon, and the new OzX version is a significant improvement.  The photoreal in BlueSky does not drape well over the mesh, and the scenery has blurry details where OzX has crisper ground textures, like gravel or sand.  BlueSky always looked too much like ice cream melting down the sides of the canyons.  

Thanks Griphos for the insight. 

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, FireRx said:

Would be nice if they did a version 3 and included the Grand Canyon Village that's on the South Rim Area. I was just there yesterday. B) 

2018-5-10_18-13-6-692.jpg

You could download a scenery design package and create the village and then upload it to the fs community... just sayin' y'know freeware comes from somewhere

• 1 year later...

Hi all;

I'll be considered as a spoiled "old" child but although Orbx Grand canyon scenery is by far the best to this day (I have no idea if new free/payware) have been since developed, as a regular hiker of Grand Canyon National Park there are still many things to be perfected.

I'm probably as one of my friends told a french magazine, "an eccentric froggy who comes hiking in the canyon for over 20 years nearly every year"! LOL! Mike Buchheit is one of the directors of the Grand Canyon Field Institute, a 25  years old friendship built up between us and he helped me many times organizing my hikes in that amazing site which I've become intoxicated! At least unless you make a fool of yourself and take huge risks (Yes I also did that and wont forget it. Read my book alas in French I'm too lazy to translate it and automatic systems - no names said- gives funny results, here is the link if you're courageous! : http://froggyatgcn.canalblog.com/ ) the addiction is harmless.

So of course to have a real idea of what is GCN is to take your hiking shoes and backpack and get down one of the trails and overnite there. You wont hike out the same man or woman!

To come back to the main subject here there are two things missing unless I over-sighted: Grand canyon village itself. Today with the huge development made in scenery making I'm sure a skilled developer will render the place in full details and realism. The second is the airport itself. I have set an addon of someone whose  name I cant remember which not only make a very poor idea of the Tusayan village at the outskirts of the park entrance where are located both the airport and the heliport which in the past was across the road from the airport itself if my memory doesn't fail me. Here again there are plenty of photos of the sites and especially I think the airport has been seriously modernized (I have not used it as a passenger since 2000 as generally I drive from PHX to enjoy back roads and a little stop in Sedona). Again the actual rendition is worst than poor; sorry for the author who also gives hints of his work where he stresses the presence of swimmers I suppose in the Colorado. Gosh! If you want to commit suicide this would be the best way! Water never exceeds 10-12C°. I've been on a raft trip and although wearing a diving suit (is that the proper wording?) I'll remember the first wave at Badger creek rapid( drop 15ft) ! After that first one not only do you get used by you ask for more! As one rafter told us  "if you fall in the river just put your feet frontward "and enjoy the ride"" till with get you out!!!!

Yes GCN is a must see, but from the bottom and if for many people or simmers it's not easy to do it, from air it's also worth the trip with FSX or P3d and today with the technology we dispose of it could still be very thoroughly improved. and thx to all who have the skill to do so in advance.
My hiking period is now over after my serious heart attack of 2017. I'm not mad enough like that guy in 2003 who after one and wearing a pacemaker thought to come with us down the Bright Angel trail! We were lucky to test the group on a 1 mile descent: it took him 1h and a half to climb back out! and still alive! The full hike both ways is 30kms and 3200m climb to an from Phantom ranch which also should be"scenerized". I have no skills for

Cheers to all

Claude

Paris- France

I second this idea! I have to agree with Claude too, the Grand Canyon is a mystical place that brings tears to my eyes every time I venture there (I am also a big fan of hiking in and around the Grand Canyon, although not I do not have 20 years there like Claude ;) ). A dedicated Orbx rendition of this magical place would be something special indeed. 

Ah, one can but dream :)

Archived