NA OLC First Impressions

Jotayhen

At the risk of sounding as though I am gushing, let me say how pleased I am with the new North America Land Class!  No, that's probably not strong enough.......I'm, thrilled!

I live in an area of the country that has been routinely overlooked (Midlands of South Carolina).  For years I have flown out of KCDN (Camden, SC) and had to look at what appeared to be "virgin forest" when I knew different.  My home town area is populated with many villages, hamlets, lakes, etc., that routinely, in real life, serve as land marks for Sunday VFR flights. 

I just completed a flight consisting of a great circle encompassing about 400 square miles and every small town was represented.........just amazing.  Suddenly, my home town area has been brought into the present.  Even the built up areas around the outer regions of Columbia, SC are now visible and recognizable.

I could go on but that's enough, you get my point and hopefully my excitement and joy.

I am very grateful for your efforts, Orbx Team.  I thank you very much for giving us all such a wonderful product.  This scenery package was worth every cent and well worth the wait!

John Henderson

I also want to second this.

I knew what to expect from a landclass upgrade and it fully holds. Now I'm able to figure out where I am based on parks, streets and even city districts. And it is fun comparing fsx and google earth/maps so I can read up on what I flew over. I look forward to doing that many times before I can give a proper opinion of the LC itself.

On my machine it seems to use a bit more VAS than before, but that is fully justified with all the big and little improvements.

However, the main highlight for me is the night lighting. It's not an improvement, it's a revolution. Flying over LA seeing the city lights not only close but also far is almost breathtaking and that on my single old screen! Who would've thought FSX can do something like that. So Thank you ORBX and good luck with your future plans, including the building of your own infrastructure.

Keep going :) (Oh and please do me the favor of never abandoning FSX :P )

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Thanks for the feedback! We have made this product match Google Earth as much as landclass technology allows so I know you would be pleased :)

I'm going to go ahead and gush, big time....

This product is AMAZING John!!!!

Compared to the prior plain Global, this is night and day different.

My area of Wisconsin (KSBM) looks like it is now part of an "Upper Midwest Region" - and I don't even have Vector installed (yet!).

Heck, even my neighborhood is there where it should be, and the local State Forest looks right, and when I flew over to Fond du Lac, it looks like you're approaching Fond du Lac (and at silllllkkky smooth FPS).

Now to create some proper AI traffic packages, Orbx-style, to populate the skies and delve into airport design (I already started on Appleton, WI and it looks good!) or hope for more local fields to get a freeware or payware Orbx treatment.

Thank you, and the development team and testers - fantastic job!!!!

Steve

John, you and your team have taken I think every single thing, I've ever harped on in both preview threads and FTX vector threads and addressed them.  Chicago now has the parks around the Des Plaines River.  Coastal Georgia has proper marshland.  Forida has palm trees.  Farms are gone north of Dulles.  Roosevelt island in DC is now forested(however the western mall could still use some forestation) ;) But, all in all, just outstanding work!

My first flight was from KJAC via Big Bear Lake to KSLC in my sweet C172, ~2.5h, and to begin with: I am totally blown away!

I made this tour with a tourist group by bus years ago and repeated it in several flight simulator versions since, but this time I was totally overwhelmed by the improvement. First, the landscape got that varied. Textures (there must be quite a number of new ones) are crisp and beautiful and Salt Lake City, Ogden City, Brigham City and the smaller towns inbetween, even single farm houses, look well-stuffed and simply stunning. And finally  - no need to switch anymore inbetween!

I had 30 fps throughout (which my monitor is set to), except over SLC where I had some dips down to 20, but given my mediocre machine and (too) high settings I am contend with this.

I can hardly imagine anyone will want to fly in the US any longer without OpenLC.

Kind regards, Michael

I thought when I finally made it to the download screen I was going to be here awhile. But the truth is that a little more than a half hour after that I was in the air. I flew from Memphis to the North Carolina coast and it was fantastic. In P3D I have all my sliders to the right except water and OLC NA did not slow me down at all. It looks great. Thanks for this.

Oh, Wow! Denver native, just flew from KAPA to KBJC. I know you're not supposed to judge things like landclass products based on the areas you know best, but so, so, so, much better. My 25 bucks USD already worth it in 30 minutes...lots else to see! Thanks. The wait was completely worth it!!

Hi ORBX team,

I did a couple of flights today, one in the northeastern US and one in central and north Florida.  

You all did an incredible job!  Thanks for making the ORBX world a bit better and larger.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the world as you all have time to get it done.  I'm amazed at what you have done to take the simulator to a much higher level!

Jay A.

4 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Forida has palm trees.

That's great. Unfortunately, so does Salt Lake City. Anyway those can be taken out of the scenery in Northern Utah ORBX? Trust me, there are none here. Minor detail considering how amazing everything looks now. 

I flew from a small strip in North East Florida down to KTPA.  Absolutely amazing!  Well done Orbx.

One question though, does the upgrade also affect the full fat regions like PNW and California on the West coast??

I totally agree with the guys above: I'm seeing an overwhelming, amazing work! Just flying from KMCI to KIAD and even in FL370 the scenery looks fantastically by looking outside. Often I think I fly in a fullfat-scenery. Thanks a lot ORBX! I'm looking forward to Germany!

regards Kai

I just installed it into P3D 3.2 and have all my sliders maxed out.  Could someone tell me where I'll see the most dramatic difference because I didn't see any difference.  I went to 25GA, KFFC, KBOS, and even to Hawaii, then somewhere small in Illinois 37 miles from Meigs and landed at Meigs.  It installed fine, I ran Vector, and don't really see any difference at all.  So is there somewhere in particular I could go to see a big difference?

Thanks,

Jack

10 minutes ago, JS07 said:

I just installed it into P3D 3.2 and have all my sliders maxed out.  Could someone tell me where I'll see the most dramatic difference because I didn't see any difference.  I went to 25GA, KFFC, KBOS, and even to Hawaii, then somewhere small in Illinois 37 miles from Meigs and landed at Meigs.  It installed fine, I ran Vector, and don't really see any difference at all.  So is there somewhere in particular I could go to see a big difference?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, make sure that in your scenery library you have both OLC NA1 & OLC NA2.  I had a similar issue in which the installer only installed OLC NA1 into my scenery library.  If you do not have OLC NA2, you will have to manually navigate to and add it to your scenery library.  I had very similar issues.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm there now in the P3D scenery library.  I see ORBX!OPENLC_NAMAERICA1 & ORBX!OPENLC_NAMAERICA2 directly below ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE9 and directly above ORBX!OPENLC_BASE so it looks like this in P3D,

ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE9

ORBX!OPENLC_NAMAERICA1

ORBX!OPENLC_NAMAERICA2

ORBX!OPENLC_BASE

They're all checked.

Just went to that volcano, it looks just like the screenshots.  I guess it didn't improve the areas I was most interested in.

Just went to LAX at night and got up to 10,000 ft.  The lights are stunning!  I LOVE the night highway lights.

Going to try more places.

It installed fine and I'm happy with it, I just need to find some location where I can see a huige difference like that volcano.

I fly most of my local stuff in the NW Chicago area, so I am forever plagued by repeating tiles.  

My compliments to the team, because while the repeating tiles haven't been completely eliminated they appear to have been reduced and masked somewhat by the change in pattern.

So much so, that I had to look for them to see if they still existed.

Great job!

1 hour ago, JS07 said:

Thanks,

Jack

I had the same issue when I first installed it. I used the layering tool in FTX Central, but still no difference. I had to go to the scenery library and manually move OLCNA 1 and 2 up until they were immediately after the lowest FTX entry. After that I could see the difference. I have posted before and after pix of the Wichita Kansas area for comparison.

Russ

Wichita Top Down After.JPG

Wichita Top Down Before.JPG

1 hour ago, JS07 said:

Thanks,

Jack

I had the same issue when I first installed it. I used the layering tool in FTX Central, but still no difference. I had to go to the scenery library and manually move OLCNA 1 and 2 up until they were immediately after the lowest FTX entry. After that I could see the difference. I have posted before and after pix of the Wichita Kansas area for comparison.

Russ

Oops,  I got the order backwards... the before shot is the second one, the after is the first one.  Sorry...

1 hour ago, b1bmsgt said:

Russ

Oops,  I got the order backwards... the before shot is the second one, the after is the first one.  Sorry...

Thanks Russ, I just checked my scenery library and it was as you say already.  Then I went to Wicticha and mine looks exactly like your's.

I guess I'm good.?

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

Yes OLC NA will upgrade all the FTX NA regions with the new enhanced night lighting. Try revisiting SFO or SEA at night ;)

The new night lighting is AMAZING.. I happen to live near SEA and KRNT is my default start in FSX/Prepared. Flying out over the lake towards Seattle at dusk/night is... well, beautiful with little or no hit on FPS! Well done job John to you and your team!! 

Cheers,
D-Man

Just had my first flight out of Eagle County heading towards Denver and this is amazing! What a treat :-) I can't wait to try flying at night next but this outstanding. Many thanks to you and the entire team for this huge coverage area with so much to explore!

Well, after doing a lot of flying today and going to places others have posted screenshots of I have to give a HUGE thank you to the Orbx team and JV!  I am one VERY pleased customer.  If you guys can do this to North America, I can only imagine how much better the entire world will look.  It's like having a new sim.  P3D has never looked better.

Well done Orbx guys!

Best regards,

Jack

6 minutes ago, JS07 said:

If you guys can do this to North America, I can only imagine how much better the entire world will look.  

Say Japan...;)

Kind regards, Michael

Archived