Carenado's new Aero Commander 500

bernd1151

Once I learned a few months ago that Carenado was working on the AC 500, I really got excited, as I have flown in her as passenger a couple of times. I didn’t test any systems yet. I just took her out for a spin around Pago Pago and wanted to experience her behavior in flight. In short, she flies like a dream or like I think a plane of that age should behave. Also landing her was a walk in the park. The cabin has a vintage (or should I say: worn) appearance that fits the plane just right and the engine sound is just the way I seem to remember it. I think that I will log plenty of hours in this one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The usual suspects in the office

3.jpg

5.jpg

5a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I am sure, Milton Shupe will like this one too

Sure looks worn and old, they really captured wear and tear.  But Pago Pago looks great in P3D.  I have Pago Pago but haven't spent more than ten minutes there since I bought it.  Your shots are going to make me want to go there today.  Very nice.

If that were my plane, I'm sure I'd keep it in better shape than that.  All that flaking paint is a real eyesore, sorry.  I noticed the same problem with another of their recent releases, the PA31-350 Chieftain, although not as badly worn.

Great Shots!

I waited many years for this one, so I bought it a while ago.

I will be make base in that area (need to look for an FBO) , and later on will ferry it to he Caribbean.

Kudos to Tim & Ken for all that beautiful  scenery, Holger for the mesh and to Carenado for this gorgeous aircraft.

3 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

If that were my plane, I'm sure I'd keep it in better shape than that.  All that flaking paint is a real eyesore, sorry.  I noticed the same problem with another of their recent releases, the PA31-350 Chieftain, although not as badly worn.

I think they swapped  the seat covers between them Stew.:)

Just acquired the Chieftain & was surprised at the state of the carpet in particular. A good commuter airline wouldn't let them get to that state. Maybe a freight operation, but their Chieftain carries passengers. Bit of a head scratcher.

Both aircraft have that Carenado patina on the interior & exterior finishes.

TTM

Thank you gents for your comments. I think for me to like that plane better from a pure aesthetic point of view (run-down interior does not match for me with a spanky clean exterior), I will try to do something about it, especially the carpets. Once I am done, I'll let you know ;)

4 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

I think they swapped  the seat covers between them Stew.:)

Just acquired the Chieftain & was surprised at the state of the carpet in particular. A good commuter airline wouldn't let them get to that state. Maybe a freight operation, but their Chieftain carries passengers. Bit of a head scratcher.

Both aircraft have that Carenado patina on the interior & exterior finishes.

TTM

I'm afraid I don't like either plane and won't be buying them, at least in the near future.  It's a shame Carenado thinks they can make up for their weak points in the designs by scruffing up the interiors.  That just rubs me the wrong way.  If either of those planes were mine, I'd be ashamed to show them off.  Just sayin'.

17 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Thank you gents for your comments. I think for me to like that plane better from a pure aesthetic point of view (run-down interior does not match for me with a spanky clean exterior), I will try to do something about it, especially the carpets. Once I am done, I'll let you know ;)

Please let us know if you fix up the interior as I'd buy it.  I worked real aricraft as an A&P for decades and I can tell you if we let a plane out the hangar looking like that heads would roll.  I know they wanted it to look used but they should have given us one nice interior.

42 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Please let us know if you fix up the interior as I'd buy it.  I worked real aricraft as an A&P for decades and I can tell you if we let a plane out the hangar looking like that heads would roll.  I know they wanted it to look used but they should have given us one nice interior.

So would I...maybe,

Personally I would (will) buy it "because" of the realistic wear and tear, I know that all aircraft are not pristine, and that most working aircraft with some years under their belt look exactly as shown by Carenado. well done and thanks to them. Teecee.

58 minutes ago, teecee said:

Personally I would (will) buy it "because" of the realistic wear and tear, I know that all aircraft are not pristine, and that most working aircraft with some years under their belt look exactly as shown by Carenado. well done and thanks to them. Teecee.

Hello TeeCee, glad to see you back in action, hope you are fully recovered.

I also like wear and tear, but to me it looks neglected.

So I am doing a carpet and cockpit overhaul, not much but IMO it will look "old", but taken care of.

Cheers.

Not fully recovered mate, still on oxygen and a feeding tube.. (I call it babyfood?) but I can use my sim, and move around the house a bit.. Thanks for the post, I look forward to seeing your "upgrade" when you finish is, so please be sure  to post some screenies would you? Teecee.

54 minutes ago, teecee said:

Thanks for the post, I look forward to seeing your "upgrade" when you finish is, so please be sure  to post some screenies would you? Teecee.

Will do!

A few posts above I read bernd1151 will also be doing an "overhaul", so I sent him a PM if he wants to work together. Waiting for response.

Cheers.

On 2016-05-11 at 5:43 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

It does look a little too worn. I guess it depends on what mission the aircraft was used for. A pilot-owner would take better care of his airplane, and you obviously wouldn't fly executives in an airplane like that. However if performing crucial delivery and transport missions in an impoverished country, the condition of the upholstery and paint wouldn't be as important.

Hopefully someone will edit the textures to create a "clean" version - not necessarily spotless, just well taken care of.

If the interior looks that crappy, I hate to think what kind of engine and air frame maintenance has been neglected.  Seriously, it's easy to say, "I like the worn look" on the one hand and imagine you're flying it for real on the other when you don't have to worry about whether proper maintenance and servicing have been performed.  If this were an A2A bird in that kind of condition, you wouldn't be able to fly it.

Archived