Melbourne - Launceston: Another reality check

Not that anyone thinks flying would be relaxing: It is hard work, in order to have proper documentation for this community.

Gate F11 (yes I know I took the virtual Airbus, while VA flies 737...):

2015-5-8_17-45YMMLF11.jpg

2015-5-8_17-45YMMLF11real.jpg

2015-5-8_18-2TaxiF.jpg

2015-5-8_18-2TaxiFreal.jpg

The runway, as selected by ATC. Unfortunately a difference!

2015-5-8_18-9Rwy16.jpg

2015-5-8_18-9Rwy27real.jpg

As a consequence, the city view is different, too:

2015-5-8_18-10Cityscape.jpg

2015-5-8_18-10Cityscapereal.jpg

Philip Island, with a little cloud layer...

2015-5-8_18-21PhilipIs.jpg

2015-5-8_18-21PhilipIsreal.jpg

A fantastic breakfast, served just after 08:00 am.

2015-5-8_18-45real.jpg

Tassies N coast:

2015-5-8_18-43TazNcoast.jpg

2015-5-8_18-47-58-448.jpg

2015-5-8_18-47-58-448real.jpg

Cataract Gorge:

2015-5-8_19-0CatGorge.jpg

2015-5-8_19-0CatGorgereal.jpg

Slowing down:

2015-5-8_19-4-20-337.jpg

2015-5-8_19-4-20-337real.jpg

Hmm, here´s a scenery mismatch...:

2015-5-8_19-12.jpg

2015-5-8_19-12real.jpg

Here it works, sure you all know this place:

2015-5-8_19-13.jpg

2015-5-8_19-13real.jpg

Once again, my request for an update. Even payware welcome, I´d be there!

2015-5-8_19-14YMLT.jpg

2015-5-8_19-14YMLTreal.jpg

Good morning, Taz!

2015-5-8_19-17VA.jpg

2015-5-8_19-17VAreal.jpg

Hope there is enough evidence in here that one needs Orbx for travel preparations. Sorry for so many pictures.

Excellent set Gerold.

The first few shots seem familiar!

These comparisons show just how good the development team are don't they.

Never flown with Virgin Australia, how were they?

Like the Jetstar steps in the second last shot too!

Fantastic series. Incredible how close some of those sim shots are. Must have taken a while to set up/replicate, but well worth it!

#2 (the stairs) is interesting. Not being a very frequent traveller, I've often wondered about the placement of the concertina thingie on the aircraft in FSX. It often looks totally wrong - but, looking at #2 I see that it's correct!

Aaaaah ... and just look at those beaches!!!!

Adam.

Thankyou Gerold,

I enjoyed your RL / V flight, I like being seated in that spot too, gives a great view of wing and engine. Glad to know that the RL breakfast service met your liking, and that Virgin was looking after your inner health (fiber muesli bar and a black coffee). How was the Virtual breakfast service.

Excellent set Gerold.

The first few shots seem familiar!

These comparisons show just how good the development team are don't they.

Never flown with Virgin Australia, how were they?

Like the Jetstar steps in the second last shot too!

Indeed the team did quite a good job, otherwise we wouldn´t see the difference to the 2015 status.

Regarding VirginAustralia: A usual economy class commuter flight, fully booked (at 07:30 on a Wednesday morning), with unstressful service (you see what it was). I had seat 9A reserved (I wanted to see the scenery as above), but no Seatguru or booking tool showed in advance that this seat is MISSING THE WINDOW! The flight crew managed to make another passenger change with me, which was a little win-win situation as 9B was the only empty seat in economy, so he had some advantage also.

So did you have a meal at the "Stillwater" ?? . Great comparison shots with your RL photo's Gerold . :smile: :smile:

Cheers

Brad

Yes I did. Salmon, shrimps, wallaby, and a fantastic gratinated sheep cheese, together with an amazing red and accomplished by a good glass of Lark. I could not resist, according to my Avatar name.

Really enjoyed your adventure Gerold, great shots..both real and virtual :)

Thank you. I also enjoyed both trips...

Our simulators are great today but improvements are always welcome. And I agree, this maybe payware of course.

Once home cooking and the money is back into it.  8)

Cheers

Andreas

If JV indicates, I will have the money put aside.

Fantastic series. Incredible how close some of those sim shots are. Must have taken a while to set up/replicate, but well worth it!

#2 (the stairs) is interesting. Not being a very frequent traveller, I've often wondered about the placement of the concertina thingie on the aircraft in FSX. It often looks totally wrong - but, looking at #2 I see that it's correct!

Aaaaah ... and just look at those beaches!!!!

Adam.

Yes Adam, it took a while - and I did not even get it perfect. You see the white square on the ground in #3 and #4? Amazing.

And the beaches, coastline, rivers - fit totally.

Great adventure Gerold and a good comparison between reality and the sim world.

Cheers,

Ruud

Thanks Ruud.

Thankyou Gerold,

I enjoyed your RL / V flight, I like being seated in that spot too, gives a great view of wing and engine. Glad to know that the RL breakfast service met your liking, and that Virgin was looking after your inner health (fiber muesli bar and a black coffee). How was the Virtual breakfast service.

Yes they were really looking after my health - it was even tea, not coffee. But that fit well, as I was coming in with "Delhi belly", and was not really in the state to enjoy a bigger breakfast.

The virtual breakfast service was totally disappointing. Ryan air could not have done worse. Correction: In fact they could, by permanantly offering stuff for sale. At least wifey keeps quiet while the cockpit works.

Superb post this.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain!

That sure is a great idea, not too many pictures and as I see...just enough fibres.

Enough fibres after the 1st breakfast on the inbound flight, just 3 hrs before...  ;D

I love the mix of the sim flight with reality.........very creative!

Yeah, took some time and efforts. And shows the efforts of the scenery designers.

Exellent set Gerold!

Thanks, Dolf.

Nice Gerold!

These comparisons are all I wanted to see!

Thank you!

More to come, I am prepared...  8)

A fascinating study, Gerold, thanks for posting it. Such studies us understand the difference between reality and state-of-the-art simulation. As we can see from these comparison shots:

1. Reality is slightly hazy and blurred with less vibrant colors
  2. Real airports have more objects (like portable ramps and people) and finer detail (ie more polygons)
  3. Simulation has no cereal bars.

1 & 2 can be fixed with Photoshop. Only the local grocer can fix 3!

Best,

Lucky

////////////

Very interesting set - and some great pics :)

Cheers

Mallard

Thank you Mallard. I assume you can also give us some comparison shots of a European region soon...?!

A fascinating study, Gerold, thanks for posting it. Such studies us understand the difference between reality and state-of-the-art simulation. As we can see from these comparison shots:

1. Reality is slightly hazy and blurred with less vibrant colors

Real airports have more objects (like portable ramps and people) and finer detail (ie more polygons)

Simulation has no cereal bars.

1 & 2 can be fixed with Photoshop. Only the local grocer can fix 3!

Best,

Lucky

////////////

You are right with the potential Photoshop fix. But this particular cereal bar is not available in Germany! Maybe I can oder it from FlightSimStore ?

A great comparison Gerold, thanks!

Love a lot that kind of sets showing how accurate a sim could be. Thank you for sharing ;)

Very nice!

Thank you, mates. It is a bit of a challenge to make such comparisons, but much more it is a pleasure - for me and, as I see, for you.

Archived