a preview I'm looking forward to

dominique

I say it's New Caledonia. It simply looks like the perfect size for such a project. Nouméa La Tontouta for the guys who cannot get their fingers off the big iron and a lot of fields for the sensible ones :D

Maybe I missed something, but what are we referring to?

Tim Harris and Ken Hall are currently working on a successor to their wonderful Jacksons/Kokoda scenery. It's somewhere in the same vicinity but definitely not PNG.

I say it's New Caledonia. It simply looks like the perfect size for such a project. Nouméa La Tontouta for the guys who cannot get their fingers off the big iron and a lot of fields for the sensible ones :D

NC would be fantastic. I'm thinking more to a Fiji or a Tonga scenery. BTW getting back to Tim's hint, Nadi airport has a 10700 feet runway :lol: ! Time will tell, hey ?!

I think they said it would be 'an entire country'.  Some good guesses here. 

Add to that some of the repaints that Tim has done and posted over at OzX and I would guess that it is Samoa or Tonga.

But going off the length of runway clue, I agree that it may well be Noumea, in New Caledonia.

Going to be really cool either way.

Though New Caledonia is a French territory, not a country.

I'm suspecting The Solomon Islands, as Honiara/Henderson Field is pretty long too.

Having said which, many Pacific nations have long runways as only larger planes have the range to reach them.

Nouméa La Tontouta for the guys who cannot get their fingers off the big iron...

Jets are for systems monitors.  Give me a mixture and prop controls

Noel.

Or you could fly the Q400 and have the best of both worlds...

That beast will bite you if you're not paying attention and actually flying it ;)

I think they said it would be 'an entire country'.  Some good guesses here. 

Add to that some of the repaints that Tim has done and posted over at OzX and I would guess that it is Samoa or Tonga.

I also thought about Samoa besides Tonga and Fiji ! If you look at the configuration of these archipelagoes, Fiji would be terrific with its many airports. BTW, PacSim has already released a Tonga so I guess this one is out.

Though New Caledonia is a French territory, not a country.

I'm suspecting The Solomon Islands, as Honiara/Henderson Field is pretty long too.

Having said which, many Pacific nations have long runways as only larger planes have the range to reach them.

Having the Slot as an OrbX scenery is a dream of mine which, I'm afraid, will never come true. Guadalcanal alone has not much airport-wise, besides  Henderson. 

Having the Slot as an OrbX scenery is a dream of mine which, I'm afraid, will never come true. Guadalcanal alone has not much airport-wise, besides  Henderson. 

Ah, if only!  Mind you, the rest of the archipelago has a number of smaller fields and bush strips, so it might make a good package for island hoppers.

We're all looking further east, but maybe we should look west to Indonesia, which has many, many airfields of all sizes. The country is quite large, though, so it may be too ambitious for one single product.  Or there's also East Timor which is pretty small, but has two sizeable airports and a bunch of smaller strips.

They're keeping us guessing as the clues are not at all obvious!

Ah, if only!  Mind you, the rest of the archipelago has a number of smaller fields and bush strips, so it might make a good package for island hoppers.

We're all looking further east, but maybe we should look west to Indonesia, which has many, many airfields of all sizes. The country is quite large, though, so it may be too ambitious for one single product.  Or there's also East Timor which is pretty small, but has two sizeable airports and a bunch of smaller strips.

They're keeping us guessing as the clues are not at all obvious!

Yes, the Slot, between say Munda (or Choiseul bay) and Honiara :) !

About Indonesia, I've done a couple of times the string of volcanoes in Java. That makes an awesome flight !

About Indonesia, I've done a couple of times the string of volcanoes in Java. That makes an awesome flight !

Ah, yes, a very impressive view!  Even many of the smaller routes are gorgeous, e.g. along the string of volcanoes in northern Halmahera between Gamar Malamo (not in FS unfortunately) and Ternate.  Really, Indonesia could justify a full-fat region some day as the geography is so varied, and would suit both tube and tundra fliers.

Longest Runway, I`m thinking Guam.

That would be good, but as it's a US territory wouldn't be a 'complete country'.  Nearby Micronesia doesn't really have any large airports, but Vanuatu's Bauerfield or Fiji's Nadi could be candidates. The Marshalls has Enewetak, though it's not really in use, and Buchholz, though that's a US army base.  There are quite a few large airports elsewhere in Pacific coral country, but they're further from PNG.

Really, Indonesia could justify a full-fat region some day as the geography is so varied, and would suit both tube and tundra fliers.

It could indeed, the question is, is there a market for it, I mean beyond us two :lol: ! Our fellow simmers seem to mostly fly around their home base.

It could indeed, the question is, is there a market for it, I mean beyond us two :lol: ! Our fellow simmers seem to mostly fly around their home base.

Yeah, it's a problem - it would certainly be niche. The recent Europe poll showed that the 'fly over my house' customers are very significant, though I still feel that had an 'Alps region' been offered, it would have easily won.  For that reason I reckon the 'interesting geography' attraction will still pull in many faraway customers.  The nature of Orbx scenery does attract low-and-slow fliers more than photoscenery does, so I do think many customers would be happy to try somewhere exotic if it was interesting.

I reckon part of the problem is a technical one, where the limits of 32-bit FSX/P3D and available map data mean that quite a lot of hand-crafting can be needed to produce a good result.  Hence the man-hours vs. economic return can be a risk.  Perhaps when 64-bit P3D is out and OSM-type data has improved, there will be newer techniques which can automate a lot more detail, meaning the man-hours can be better spent on the creative side.

e.g. towns and specific features could be directly generated from map data rather then being hand-placed, much like vector roads are today. Intelligent automated interpretation of map data could do a lot of the initial landclass work, much as Global & OpenLC is trying to do just now.  Even textures could be generated/processed (probably at install time to avoid download bloat) so as to fit geographic shapes like small islands, between roads, etc. so there are no more discontinuities or unrealistic boundaries. This would allow the hand-crafting to concentrate on the 'gorgeous' aspects like coral reefs, river estuaries, coloured volcanic lakes, etc. Oh, and the airfields!

Just as in the games market dynamic generation of maps is maturing, similar techniques could be useful for map-driven landscapes in FS.  Niche products would become less risky economically.

Well, I can dream... ;)

Yeah, it's a problem - it would certainly be niche. The recent Europe poll showed that the 'fly over my house' customers are very significant, though I still feel that had an 'Alps region' been offered, it would have easily won.  For that reason I reckon the 'interesting geography' attraction will still pull in many faraway customers.  The nature of Orbx scenery does attract low-and-slow fliers more than photoscenery does, so I do think many customers would be happy to try somewhere exotic if it was interesting.

I reckon part of the problem is a technical one, where the limits of 32-bit FSX/P3D and available map data mean that quite a lot of hand-crafting can be needed to produce a good result.  Hence the man-hours vs. economic return can be a risk.  Perhaps when 64-bit P3D is out and OSM-type data has improved, there will be newer techniques which can automate a lot more detail, meaning the man-hours can be better spent on the creative side.

e.g. towns and specific features could be directly generated from map data rather then being hand-placed, much like vector roads are today. Intelligent automated interpretation of map data could do a lot of the initial landclass work, much as Global & OpenLC is trying to do just now.  Even textures could be generated/processed (probably at install time to avoid download bloat) so as to fit geographic shapes like small islands, between roads, etc. so there are no more discontinuities or unrealistic boundaries. This would allow the hand-crafting to concentrate on the 'gorgeous' aspects like coral reefs, river estuaries, coloured volcanic lakes, etc. Oh, and the airfields!

Just as in the games market dynamic generation of maps is maturing, similar techniques could be useful for map-driven landscapes in FS.  Niche products would become less risky economically.

Well, I can dream... ;)

Dreaming is good ! Who would have said that someday you could "print" 3D objects (except a few visionaries)  8) ?

country

Country, territory, republic, unincorporated territory, independent state, sovereign state, federation, kingdom, whatever the fancy title..they can all considered to be 'countries of the world' with unique cultures, customs, people and language  :)

Dreaming is good ! Who would have said that someday you could "print" 3D objects (except a few visionaries)  8) ?

Indeed!  Like elsewhere in the tech world, I'm very impressed with the talent of scenery makers these days, and I don't doubt they will continue to push through new technical boundaries to wow us :)

Country, territory, republic, unincorporated territory, independent state, sovereign state, federation, kingdom, whatever the fancy title..they can all considered to be 'countries of the world' with unique cultures, customs, people and language  :)

Aha!  Fair enough!

In that case I'm back to guessing New Caledonia ;)

In that case I'm back to guessing New Caledonia ;)

My vote goes to the American Samoa which is the only entity that I can think of, besides New Caledonia and the Marianas, which is "almost a country but....". The new rallying cry : pago pago :lol:  !

BTW beautiful repaints of the Twin Otter in Royal Tongan and Polynesian airlines (read Samoan) liveries by, guess whom, Tim Harris. Thank you Tim, I'm flying right now your PA repaint out of Pago Pago :) eastbound ! 

All good guesses so far, could be any one of the above >:D

So let's sum up all these "good guesses" in alphabetic order : Fiji, Guam, New Caledonia, the Samoas, the Solomons, Tonga, Vanuatu, Now tell me one that you wouldn't want ? None ? Same for me.

I'm still in for the Samoas because of Tim's Twotter livery and his remark about it being a "cultural" country (the Samoas are two political entities but one culture ) and Ken's remark on terrain shadow (Pago Pago bay would be indeed something !).

PS and let the guessing game continue :lol:  !

Archived