FSX on Steam

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is their web page released today. Will be very interesting to see how this development effects us existing users.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FSX+-+Winter+Sale+-+Deep+Discount&utm_content=FSX+-+Winter+Sale+-+Deep+Discount+CID_e0e2f10892d8774785f737517d12d6dc&utm_source=Campaign Monitor

Anton via Tapatalk

The link above has lots of compatibility info, and when installing, it says, "We have detected that Flight Simulator X ('FSX') is already installed on your computer from a disk-version of the product.

We strongly recommend that you backup your existing FSX configuration.

You are about to install FSX: Steam Edition. Please note that add-on products you may have purchased for your existing copy will not automatically be available in FSX: Steam Edition.

Any add-ons (purchased from outside Steam) you subsequently chose to install may be associated with either your existing copy or with FSX: Steam Edition depending on the way the add-on is installed."

I'm thinking that an Estonia Migration Tool type solution might be in order.  But why would you want both FSX and FSX Steam unless you are  a developer?

Orbx products will install directly into the correct FSX:Steam folder if that is the only copy of FSX you have installed.

That is because Dovetail use the exact same Windows Registry key to point the the FSX folder as MS did. The only complications that may arise is if you have an existing copy of FSX already installed.

I've just installed Norway with a virgin Install of FSX:Steam and it works perfectly.

Enjoy!

P.S. You'll need to install Steve's DX10 fixer to fix the FTX Global lights showing as black squares.

i bought it, but already have fsx installed, but i saved a backup right before i installed fsx as i use p3d 98% of the time, i am interested in hearing from the community how all addons work with steam, and i hope it will boost orbx sales,i would think more flight simmers, the more people will buy more orbx, and i have alot of friends on steam that will probably buy the steam version, so in return they will come here to buy the best scenery addons.

John its a good chance for you to bring in some new customers though, that would be good for all of us,just brought 2 people to the steam version and directed them to orbx,in the long run,the steam version adapters will end up on p3d in the future hopefully.

I have just got fsx on steam I am glad that orbx scenery will work on steam version of fsx .

I have windows 8.1 and I was getting fed up with my yoke and brake pedals disconnecting with windows 8.1 with fsx this does not happen with p3d

As dovetail games have said they will support windows 8.1 they may sort this problem out .

I have P3D and fsx gold from disc installed I may do a complete reinstall with p3d and fsx steam vershion .

regards stewart

I have just got fsx on steam I am glad that orbx scenery will work on steam version of fsx .

I have windows 8.1 and I was getting fed up with my yoke and brake pedals disconnecting with windows 8.1 with fsx this does not happen with p3d

As dovetail games have said they will support windows 8.1 they may sort this problem out .

I have P3D and fsx gold from disc installed I may do a complete reinstall with p3d and fsx steam vershion .

regards stewart

i considered that, but it takes me 2 days to install everything,i have 320 gig worth of software installed between fsx and p3d, shew :wacko:

I am the same it will take me 2 days my self to install every thing I may go for it tomorrow morning .

At the moment I am installing fsx steam it has done 50 percent now just want to se what it is like and se if I can find the cfg file for the steam vershion .

It will be a long night I think at the moment in the uk it is 21-54 pm.

regards stewart

No we're not moving to FSX:SE since it's the same code as FSX and uses the same older engine limited to DX10 Preview mode and the shader limitations in that.

Argh. I expected them to at least complete the DX10 code.

I think I'll better add those 5 € to another AU Airport during the sale. My 500 GB Flightsim SSD fills up anyway, and P3D runs just fine.

Kind regards, Michael

Where the Steam edition will be valuable for me if I decide to buy it, is that if my hard drive dies or FSX becomes unusable for whatever reason, I can install the full product of FSX Gold  edition without having to swap three discs.

Mike

If you buy the Steam version now you don't necessarily have to install it. You can simply leave it on your Steam account and install it whenever you wish.

My installation of FSX isn't exactly the most stable and I've had to do a couple of re-installs in the past so I've bought the Steam version and will switch over to that the next time it falls apart. At £3.99 it would be stupid not to have that back up.

No we're not moving to FSX:SE since it's the same code as FSX and uses the same older engine limited to DX10 Preview mode and the shader limitations in that.

It's just another FSX really, and an option for those who want it.

Hey John,

I was really excited so I did a clean install of my Global, Vector, and KPSP and then updated the libraries and I get this warning when installing which after I click to proceed FSX-SE crashes with the following.

fsxse.png

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: fsx.exe
  Application Version: 10.0.62607.0
  Application Timestamp: 548b7186
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_d962
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
  Exception Offset: feb130a2
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Data: 00000008
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: d962
  Additional Information 2: d96262cb072a25c02d6bc9f0e9d358b8
  Additional Information 3: 0e1b
  Additional Information 4: 0e1ba7bb08e85fd2793c881294e3a23f

Yep, as I did say in my post above, ObjectFlow.dll is not signed to the new FSX.exe so any of our airports that uses it won't display dynamic objects. We'll get a new DLL sorted out ASAP.

Sorry boss. Must have missed that. I still can fly in if I reject the object flow and get a great experience overall. I have to admit, as skeptical as I was, this version of FSX is legitimately better than the MS one in terms of performance and stability. Very impressed.

Where the Steam edition will be valuable for me if I decide to buy it, is that if my hard drive dies or FSX becomes unusable for whatever reason, I can install the full product of FSX Gold  edition without having to swap three discs.

Mike

I've never installed FSX from the DVDs. I always copy the DVDs to a harddrive for backup, then put the original DVDs back in the case and forget about them. Installation goes so much faster, and with FSX I've lost count of the number of reinstalls since it tends to become unstable at some point.

An inexpensive 'Plan B' if my FSX disks and my current installation go belly up. And I am aware that a considerable number of my addons would *not* work in FSX SE as yet (think PMDG/FSUIPC, for example, but even this may change over the next couple of months).

back to orbx products all regions and global series i own install in fsx-se,all my aerosoft products installed with no problem,planes, airports ect... fsdreamteam has updated installers in the next few days, which also applies to flightbeam airports,your best option is to choose a fresh install of fsx-se without the retail version ever being installed,fsuipc will almost guaranteed to be updated,every product i have installed so far directs right to the SE,all navigraph works fine,because of the legalities of pmdg, read about it on avsim,from my findings 99% of your addons will work fine and most developers seem to be like orbx and will be on board in the coming days or weeks,i must say it was nice installing fsx from steam and it working out of the box, and the dx10 scenery fixer works fine as well,so i gave everyone my findings, for 5 bucks and you dont want to deal with the discs anymore i would suggest grabbing it,i have already directed 10 people to orbx from my friends list that didn't even know orbx existed,if we all did that with are friends on steam, maybe we could help support orbx more,after all if they bring in more customers, it will be all around good for all of us,hope this post doesn't violate the TOS here on the forums.happy holidays everyone and save yourself a headache so you don't have to use discs to install fsx.although i am a primary p3d user, 5 bucks wont break anyone. 

did you have any problems with Vector Brett ?

Apologies in advance, i may have posted my findings in the wrong part of the forum  :wacko:

Correction, my Vector installer seemed to be corrupt, all is fine now. :)

back to orbx products all regions and global series i own install in fsx-se,all my aerosoft products installed with no problem,planes, airports ect... fsdreamteam has updated installers in the next few days, which also applies to flightbeam airports,your best option is to choose a fresh install of fsx-se without the retail version ever being installed,fsuipc will almost guaranteed to be updated,every product i have installed so far directs right to the SE,all navigraph works fine,because of the legalities of pmdg, read about it on avsim,from my findings 99% of your addons will work fine and most developers seem to be like orbx and will be on board in the coming days or weeks,i must say it was nice installing fsx from steam and it working out of the box, and the dx10 scenery fixer works fine as well,so i gave everyone my findings, for 5 bucks and you dont want to deal with the discs anymore i would suggest grabbing it,i have already directed 10 people to orbx from my friends list that didn't even know orbx existed,if we all did that with are friends on steam, maybe we could help support orbx more,after all if they bring in more customers, it will be all around good for all of us,hope this post doesn't violate the TOS here on the forums.happy holidays everyone and save yourself a headache so you don't have to use discs to install fsx.although i am a primary p3d user, 5 bucks wont break anyone. 

But why would you want both FSX and FSX Steam unless you are  a developer?

Most obvious reason for me would be to use different addons with each version. For example, it would be nice to have all my Orbx scenery on one installation and all my photoscenery/non-Orbx scenery on another. Surely that would be more convenient than enabling/disabling different sceneries?

But would two versions of FSX on the same computer play nice together, or create problems?

this version of FSX is legitimately better than the MS one in terms of performance and stability.

Really? Better FPS and less stutters perhaps?

i have alot of friends on steam that will probably buy the steam version, so in return they will come here to buy the best scenery addons.

I've been posting screenshots of FSX on Steam for quite a while now, regularly pointing out that I'm using Orbx scenery in the pics. Yesterday, when FSX-SE was released, 11 of my friends bought it (with no prompting from me) and 3 more want it. I posted about the new Norway scenery a few days ago and will continue to mention and post links to Orbx products when appropriate. I'm sure that some of them will be interested in enhancing the default scenery... 8) This is bound to be a good thing for the flight sim community!

i came to a halt because of a few addons that won't work, but not gonna say, and also the objectflow.dll that orbx is already aware of, also active sky next crashes the fsx-se, so i shall wait until these are updated, even if its after the new year,as its only been a day since release, i am in no big hurry anyway.

Most obvious reason for me would be to use different addons with each version. For example, it would be nice to have all my Orbx scenery on one installation and all my photoscenery/non-Orbx scenery on another. Surely that would be more convenient than enabling/disabling different sceneries?

But would two versions of FSX on the same computer play nice together, or create problems?

Really? Better FPS and less stutters perhaps?

Actually Yes! I was the biggest skeptic, but like many others, I saw the price and didn't see any harm in getting robbed for $4.99. But I have begun my testing and stressing my system and the results have been very encouraging to say the least. My OOM's with global, vector, a NA LC, and some high detail airports with REX4, have been non-existent even with the sliders to the right on DX9. I can assure you that it is not a placebo effect, but I will wait until PMDG birds work to wrap up my final tests. The increased stability and performance are probably due to the following:

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers. 

* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.

* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.

* Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.

* UIAutomationCore.dll work-a-round is now supplied by default with FSX:SE. This fixes a number of crashes relating to UI interaction on 64-bit versions of Windows.

* sserife.fon file now automatically supplied and loaded."

I had a feeling Active Sky Next might not work, thanks for the heads up. No big rush, I'll postpone installing the Steam Edition until the inevitable addon updates occur.

ASN uses SimConnect, so for right now it does not work until they update their installer. 

I purchased FSX-Steam and installed it on a separate drive to my FSX - at $6Can it was worth exploring.  But the file structure of FSX Steam does not appear to resemble the file structure of FSX in any form so I don't see  how the Steam version can be considered as a back-up. I was hoping to migrate the 3 extra aircraft from the Expansion pack but I cannot find these aircraft in separate folders. Nor can I find the scenery.cfg or FSX.cfg files. Am I missing something?

I will be interested to see what benefits regular FSX users get from this new Steam version.

Nigel (happy FSX user)

Vancouver

Archived