FSX on Steam

Hi Jim

Thx for your quick response, here is a screen shot of my Steam folder no other FSX Steam folder I can find, and FSX Steam does run when I start it:

Zgt0q.png

Hope the picture works! And I hope someone can tell me what's going on!

Nigel

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought Steam Edition. Before installing, I uninstalled the old FSX, deleted the FSX folder in Program Files, and used CCLeaner to clear out the regisrty errors. After installing FSX-SE, I tried to run ORBX PNW, but it kept trying to find the old FSX destination folder. I tried a few things: creating a new FSX folder and installing ORBX there, then manually distributing the files to the FSX-SE folder, clearing out everything and starting fresh, but nothing works. In another post, you said you can install ORBX if there are not multiple copies on your computer. I got rid of that copy, cleared out the registry entries, but still looks for the old folder.

Any pointers? I know it's still early in FSX-SE's life, but I figure you guys are probably more tech-savy than me. Thanks.

I just bought Steam Edition. Before installing, I uninstalled the old FSX, deleted the FSX folder in Program Files, and used CCLeaner to clear out the regisrty errors. After installing FSX-SE, I tried to run ORBX PNW, but it kept trying to find the old FSX destination folder. I tried a few things: creating a new FSX folder and installing ORBX there, then manually distributing the files to the FSX-SE folder, clearing out everything and starting fresh, but nothing works. In another post, you said you can install ORBX if there are not multiple copies on your computer. I got rid of that copy, cleared out the registry entries, but still looks for the old folder.

Any pointers? I know it's still early in FSX-SE's life, but I figure you guys are probably more tech-savy than me. Thanks.

Because this issue relates to installing Orbx payware software you'll need to post this in the Orbx 'Steam Edition' support forum, here http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/188-fsx-steam-edition-support-forum/

You'll also need to include your order numbers (proof of purchase) for your Orbx products

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

What Dovetail is licensed to do with FSX:

DTG_Admin  [developer] 20 Jan @ 10:01pm
Using add-ons with FSX:Steam Edition
Here at Dovetail Games, we have long been interested in moving into the flight arena and plan on developing the next generation of aviation simulations. The first step in this journey was for us to partner with Microsoft, the developers of the Flight Simulator series. We saw great potential in giving Steam users the opportunity to experience the flight simulation genre by releasing Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. We believe this will help reinvigorate the flight simulation community by making the software available to a generation of people who would not have encountered the simulator before.

Our aim with FSX: Steam Edition is to provide a stable standalone simulator which utilises the advantages of the Steam platform. Microsoft remains the developer of FSX and is solely responsible for implementing any new features or content to the core simulator. Meanwhile, Dovetail Games is acting as a publisher for Microsoft and is only licenced to modify the simulator in order to make it Steam compatible. This necessitated updating some of the existing features in the game such as the introduction of Steam multiplayer support to replace the now defunct GameSpy services. Although we have optimised FSX: Steam Edition for use on Steam, in accordance with our licencing agreement with Microsoft we are not at liberty to make significant functionality changes to the simulator.

Since the games original launch a vast variety of add-on content has become available for FSX from numerous independent developers. With Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition you can continue to build your dream collection of aircraft, however with so many add-ons currently available we cannot promise that all of them will work with FSX: Steam Edition. 

Although we are working hard to provide compatibility with existing add-ons wherever possible, some add-ons may require optimising for the new Steam file structure by the developers. Many third party developers have already started to introduce these updates, and we will do our best to work with developers, publishers and the community to find solutions as needed. To ensure that as many add-ons as possible are compatible we are focused on providing both players and developers with a seamless add-on integration experience through the Steam platform.

We are committed to providing players with a variety of additional content options for FSX: Steam Edition which you can use to expand your simulation experience. We plan to offer a range of options that we believe will appeal to both the flight simulation and Steam communities. To this end, we are partnering with third party developers including, but not limited to, First Class Simulations, Carenado, Alabeo and Just Flight. Dovetail Games will be acting as a publisher for developers to offer players a range of brand new and previously released add-ons. It is our intention to offer players this content through a series of regular releases over the coming weeks. Although not all players will be interested in every release, we will be bringing a diverse range of add-ons to Steam which will be suitable for players of all skill and experience levels. 

Dovetail Games is dedicated to taking the world of flight simulation forward and we hope that our actions regarding FSX demonstrates our commitment to the genre. We are continuing to monitor your feedback on FSX: Steam Edition and would like to thank the community for the support you have shown both us and your fellow simmers. We are very excited to be working with a diverse range of third party developers as well as our partners at Microsoft to offer players additional add-on content for FSX: Steam Edition over the coming weeks. 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition Team
Dovetail Games

Hans

Archived