FSX on Steam

Kaboki!!!!

Jesus Christ!!! You have been into the FS business for many years so don´t try to fool me and other people on this forum  that Dovetail brought you into the FS business. Why not be honest instead?  :wacko:

Got dammit Jack, I never said Dovetail brought me into FSX. What I said was DCS on steam eventually brought me into FSX.... If steam hadn't advertised combat sims, I probably never would have picked intrest in simming and probably never would have talked to you right now:p. And I have fellow gamer friends that got into it because of steam...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Steam edition od FSX would be aimed unequivocally at the entertainment market. No ambiguities. Staight. Honest. I reckon there's a lot of people question the integrity of the P3D "Academic" License - I know it makes me feel uncomfortable, and that's one of the reasons why I've stuck with FSX, using Steve's Fixer.

pj

Agreed........Just because one is distributed by LM and the other DTG really has nothing to do with 'Entertainment' or 'Academic'

Their are many users using FSX with PMDG and now ORBX Global over P3D and are hard core users. Reason why FSX over P3D is that PMDG works under FSX

At the end of the day everyone has a different experience regardless of using FSX or P3D. I could stick a 5 year old on either P3D or FSX and they would have just as much fun. Saying one is this or that is irrelievent because people will choose one or the other that best suits their needs.

No need to create a P3D elitism persona online because one chooses that over the other. I have both and use FSX because I am a primary PMDG user. Also I got caught up in an issue with P3D licencing that will not allow me to reinstall it and I find it a hastle and not worth the trouble so I abandoned it.

At the end of the day DTG and LM are using an FSX engine so calling one 'Academic' and the other 'Entertainment is silly because the end user can maximize both of them to their greatest potential. At the end of the day they are both SIMULATION

People are starting to get heated in this room. Lets all calm down, and take a breath. No need to yelp at each other on here, we all enjoy the same hobby. Lets be civil to one another folks :)

It kinda goes that way when people pull up their guns:p

i will continue to follow the direction orbx goes, by what i mean by that, i will stay with p3d, and if i ever decide to use fsx again, i will use my discs to install, it also guarantees the dx10 fixer will continue to work as well, as john said, i plan on kinda hanging back and see what people have to say about the steam version and compatibility with orbx.  

Since recently moving to P3D, I see no reason to look back to FSX, even with DTG patches and tweaks. LM's head-start on development is vast, and I doubt DTG can catch up, even if they use the MSFlight engine to create a new sim in 2015. LM has been working fast, and my best guess is that by 2016 or 2017, they will become the clear front-runner in FS software. Laminar Research will not be able to keep up either, in my opinion.

At first I also saw P3Dv2 as the holy grail, but after awhile I got back into FSX. I will look back at it when it gets better(when I find a way to remove annoying stutters), but right know FSX with DX10 does the job just as good, even better, atleast for me.

I just don't see the "fear" of Dovetail, it's not a new enemy,but someone trying to take the FSX product forward from where MS left. Lets see what they got up their sleeve before we all judge them too much.

Who knows maybe the 18th we all get attracted to Dovetail FSX like flies do on fresh pile of shit 8)  :lol:

P3D is far and away superior to FSX, "DX10 Fix" or otherwise.  Steam's/Dovetail's version of FSX will serve as a gateway to P3D for anyone who is really serious about simulated civilian aviation.  It's all good and I wish them well.

C.

Can´t beleive what i´m reading!!!! " Steam brings in hundreds of thousands of new FSX simmers". You are allowed to use your head even if you are a simmer!  :wacko:  :DeadHorse: 

:lol: its just a wind up, obviously ! relax its just game , isnt it? Thats what my GF keeps telling me, drives me nuts lol

P3D is far and away superior to FSX, "DX10 Fix" or otherwise.  

To each their own. For many they are still on FSX due to limitations to P3D. At the end of the day they are both based on the same engine and both a simulator so no need to play the P3D elitist card. If P3D works better for you then fine. FSX works better for others and FS2004 even works better for others too. 

Nothing is superior about any of them as it is what works best for you at the end of the day. 

All is fine as long as LM and Dovetail Games come to an agreement that "Now will be as good a time as any" to make P3D a true "Flight Training Aid" - limited to schools, colleges, universities, flight training schools and commercial airlines with each having a custom-buit front-end and getting rid of the $59.95 version completely, this leaving Dovetail/Steam to supply the entertainment flightsim community with an honest retail FSX - Steam Version.

Speculation on a 64-bit version is time wasted: considering the enormous manpower, time and technical effort needed to do this - it would be better spent wrinting a new sim completely.

2 cents.

pj

Why would it be a good idea to kick us general users out of P3D??? I'm quite happy with it I use it to practice IFR. Do I have fun with it yea but I have fun when I fly real IFR too lol

Are there any lawyers out there? I'm a bit worried about John's comment that Microsoft servers are dead. As I said in a previous post I bought a boxed copy of Microsoft FSX Gold and it's still in shrink wrap as a backup with a brand new licencing key. My question is will I still be able to activate it in say a year? Seeing it was bought from a retailer still selling the boxed edition I feel I should be ok but would love to know for sure.

Thanks

simdown42

Are there any lawyers out there? I'm a bit worried about John's comment that Microsoft servers are dead. As I said in a previous post I bought a boxed copy of Microsoft FSX Gold and it's still in shrink wrap as a backup with a brand new licencing key. My question is will I still be able to activate it in say a year? Seeing it was bought from a retailer still selling the boxed edition I feel I should be ok but would love to know for sure.

Thanks

simdown42

This is a different answer to what you want but its worth considering if you have enough room on your SSD HD (or buy one there cheap) install a vanilla version so you can back it up and use it for life after you activated it once. I think that would work?

Has anyone mentioned that steam requires an internet live connection? Hope I'm wrong, but I can run P3d anytime my Comcast is down.

Dave

This is not true and was never the case with Steam games. I have 18 Steam games and never required to be online when playing.

Online is only required for downloading and updates but once registered to your account you can play offline all you want

Thanks

simdown42

Please, let's not bring in the bush lawyers! :)

If was referring to Microsoft's multiplayer servers for FSX which were shut down some time ago. Obviously Dovetail would have added some new MP code to FSX to allow it to function as a multiplayer game within the Steam Community.

You can still use MS to activate copies of FSX on DVD, no problem at all.

Let's hope that new simmers discover P3D and don't have to suffer through ancient DX9 graphics and a stuttery flights.

Professional software is usually better, just as I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop over Microsoft Paint, and Microsoft Word over Microsoft Wordpad, for those serious about wheir doings, I'd recoomend any newbe to go for P3D v2.

Let's hope that new simmers discover P3D and don't have to suffer through ancient DX9 graphics and a stuttery flights.

Professional software is usually better, just as I'd recommend Adobe Photoshop over Microsoft Paint, and Microsoft Word over Microsoft Wordpad, for those serious about wheir doings, I'd recoomend any newbe to go for P3D v2.

What works for one does not work for another.

In my cockpit P3D is NOT as smooth as good old FSX in DX9. I don't get VAS issues (ever) either!

If I want I can fly the NGX with loads of UT2 in dense REX clouds into FSDT Vancouver using ORBX scenery and NEVER get a VAS warning ;)

FSX All the way for my personal entertainment.

Let's hope that new simmers discover P3D and don't have to suffer through ancient DX9 graphics and a stuttery flights.

Again can we knock it off with P3D elitist views and just except the fact that people will use what is best for their systems. One is not better then another as the best one is the one that works best for you. Some people use P3D, some people use FSX......and yes people still even use FS2004 and are really happy with that one too.  ::)

"DX10 fixer" Steve revamped FSX very nicely (thank you Steve !) but he also showed us the limits of the exercise. Only a strong, financially and technologically, company can now move us forward. Multi-award :lol: Dovetail aint. They are more in a "rince and rince again untill dry" type of marketing of an older product than  in a technology minded approach.

I don't know whether P3D is "elitist" (what's wrong by the way in being elitist ? elitism moves the world not mediocrity) but LM has brought us superb technological advances (extensive shadowing, tesselation etc.) as Dovetail talks about a new MP module "à la Steam ". No naysayer and in this hobby for 33 years, I put my money  where its future  is. You want to use Fsx, FS9 or even FS95, the power to you :) !

PS I did not fly 95, 98 and 2K as i jumped ship between 5.1 and 2k2, flying FU and Fly!. That was true innovative competition !

Again can we knock it off with P3D elitist views and just except the fact that people will use what is best for their systems. One is not better then another as the best one is the one that works best for you. Some people use P3D, some people use FSX......and yes people still even use FS2004 and are really happy with that one too.  ::)

It's not about being eltitis, rather the other way around. I've lost count of the poeple I know that have given up on FSX simply because they haven't got the time and will to learn all the tricks to get it to work properly on their system. Remember that not all simmers hang around forums and discuss tweaks, CTDs, NVidia Inspector settings, DX10 fixers, addons, freeware, VAS usage,  shaders etc.

Being elitist is don't giving a damn about that group, which after all might be the biggest group of all. With P3D you can pretty much get up and running in no time, have DX11 graphics which works better on today's computers, and have some good quality addon bundled too. P3D Isn't perfect, but I really don't get why people continue to push 2006 (or 2003) games on newcomers to this hobby. I'm a romantic so I still have FS5 installed on my computer, but I try not to let my passion and sentimental attitude to the FS franchise get in the way of what is the better platform.

I don't have anything against people who love FSX above all other sims. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me personally. I just hope that everybody that pays Dovetail for a Steam version of FSX know exactly what they are getting, and aren't being fooled into a DLC scheme with outdated graphics.

It's not about being eltitis, rather the other way around. I've lost count of the poeple I know that have given up on FSX simply because they haven't got the time and will to learn all the tricks to get it to work properly on their system. Remember that not all simmers hang around forums and discuss tweaks, CTDs, NVidia Inspector settings, DX10 fixers, addons, freeware, VAS usage,  shaders etc.

Yeah, I'll admit it took me some time to get FSX up and running and learn how to tame the FSX beast, that's probably why I got a little dissapointed in P3Dv2 because all the tweaking looking for ways to solve stutters, shimmering etc all came back and haunted me with P3Dv2.....And the worst thing I couldn't find any "tweaks" that would help me get P3Dv2 up and running with the performance Im used to in FSX. Hence Im stuck with the "ancient" FS with DX10, wich actually doesn't look too much different than P3Dv2, but it works, and it looks quite good considering it belongs to a museum.

Yeah, I'll admit it took me some time to get FSX up and running and learn how to tame the FSX beast, that's probably why I got a little dissapointed in P3Dv2 because all the tweaking looking for ways to solve stutters, shimmering etc all came back and haunted me with P3Dv2.....And the worst thing I couldn't find any "tweaks" that would help me get P3Dv2 up and running with the performance Im used to in FSX. Hence Im stuck with the "ancient" FS with DX10, wich actually doesn't look too much different than P3Dv2, but it works, and it looks quite good considering it belongs to a museum.

I bought and installed DX10 fixer today and I understand now what the fuss is about, or should I say no fuss. The latest fixer couldn't be any easier to use, in fact after following a 15min Vid on Nvidea & fsx.cfg set up I was flying right out of the box and been flying for several hours. Its just stunning . Best part is no countless hours of reinstalls either

Dovetail might not have the best track record for innovation but at least they are doing something for FSX. No-one should knock them for that. After all, Micro$oft abandoned it entirely.

This release gives people options and options equal opportunity. Opportunities for the growth of this hobby, to bring new people in and surely that can only be a good thing for us and developers such as Orbx.

If it fails, at least they tried. The only reservation I have is if they create a walled garden (padded cell if you prefer) that locks anyone except Flight 1 out of the add-on market. That would be suicide.

Just sayin'

Nobody would criticize Dovetail trying to make a few bucks with our beloved sim, good luck to them  :lol: !  But as an old simmer, I do not like the scheme of having a walled up (à la Flight), technologically dead FSX pumping money with DLCs and an evolutive P3D reserved to professionnals with much higher priced addons and fat margins. 

This is indeed what Flight1 has been pushing with their malevolent campaign against a general public use of P3D.  OrbX, on the other hand, made another choice, helping the P3D market to grow with a free conversion of their products. And I am thankful to John Venema for that.

I was always a big fan of the Age of Empires series, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations and when those were brought over to Steam I did buy them again (even though I already had them on DVD) as they were 66% off so under $10 each for AOE 2 & 3, AOM as well as the Rise of Nations packages. Glad I did because the Steam versions had some great improvements and did bring life back into those old titles once again. I still have fun with them today.

DTG is allowed to make some changes just not with the scenery or aircraft. They have already said it will have a different delivery then the FSX DVD's but will still work with the large majority of Third Party software that works with FSX. They have said some installers may not work but they would like to sort those issues out. This is the reality of Steam Delivery as it will have a wee bit of a different file structure compared to FSX DVD's

What changes they will make is still not known. It won't be 64-bit but they may have a list of improvements that could make it worth my while to get it. I also prefer the Steam Delivery and backup and restore features so this is why I use Steam exclusively for everything today (except with Flight Simulation). I am more then happy to toss my FSX DVD's and just have it on Steam from now on.

If PMDG, ORBX, ASN, REX and UT2 all work in FSX Steam when it comes out then I will be getting it. I will wait and see if that is the case and what improvements they are able to make but the potential is there.

I don't have anything against people who love FSX above all other sims. It doesn't make one bit of difference to me personally. I just hope that everybody that pays Dovetail for a Steam version of FSX know exactly what they are getting, and aren't being fooled into a DLC scheme with outdated graphics.

Having been a user of DTG's Train Simulator for just over a year I can tell you that in that second sentence you have got their philosophy in a nutshell.

Hi all I se dovetail games are releasing  Microsoft flight simulator x on steam on Thursday  the 18 of December  .

My question is  will all my orbx scenery work on the steam version of fsx  I may give it a go on my spare hardrive and install windows and download steam version of fsx .

http://www.dovetailgames.com/news/2014/dec/9/dovetail-games-clears-microsoft-flight-simulator-x-steam-edition-for-takeoff-on-december-18

Some more details have emerged from this months issue of PC Pilot in the UK. They had a Q&A with Dovetail. Here are the highlights:

• The edition released is FSX Gold.
  • They state that they have carried out some bug fixes and "corrected some software issues" but full details will be in the release notes.
  • The old gamespy multiplayer has been removed and it now uses Steam integration to deliver a multiplayer experience
  • All OS's are supported including Windows 8 64/32.
  • Both legacy FSX and Steam FSX can co-exist. Steam FSX installs within the directory structure of Steam
  • They expect that the majority of third party add-ons will work "out of the box"

DTG also stated they removed CD-checking from FSX Gold. FSX has never relied on CD-checking. Now I am concerned ...   :P

That means no more typing the box serial code to activate since it is stream I would presume. Will be interesting to watch this release.

The problem with Steam is it's often hard to install anything if you don't have internet enable. People are not supposed to live all in urban areas with network. I had trouble with some games on DVD requiring Steam activation when I wanted to set up on a computer in the countryside

Yeah, I'll admit it took me some time to get FSX up and running and learn how to tame the FSX beast, that's probably why I got a little dissapointed in P3Dv2 because all the tweaking looking for ways to solve stutters, shimmering etc all came back and haunted me with P3Dv2.....And the worst thing I couldn't find any "tweaks" that would help me get P3Dv2 up and running with the performance Im used to in FSX.

P3D did not require a single tweak to the config file on my PC when I installed version 2.3. If you have been trying to use FSX tweaks in P3D, then don't!

Archived