Just out of curiosity.

I´ve been a member on this forum for some years now. I´ve started to look at the posters picture, just to try to figure out the age of the poster and NO it has NOTHING to do with the subject or content in the post. My pure interest is to try to find out the average age of a simmer and especially the average ORBX customer. Just for fun.

I´m 69 in august this year and have been simming since 1995 (a newcomer), have about 25 000+ hrs with different sims and about 1500+ hrs on VATSIM, 10 000+ hrs as a pilot for a virtual Airline. A bit of a computer freak and had my first computer already 1976, a CPM machine if somebody remembers what that was. Even had one of the first "laptops" an Osborne1 one with 2, 5 1/4 disc stations but no harddisk. Bought my first computer with a 10 MB HDD (it would last forever) in 1977. 

Well times are changing. Would be interesting to hear about other simmers experience.  ::)  ::)

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Howdy Jack. I am 67 and a happy simmer since 2008. Quite a few hrs on the sim but nothing like yours. Happy customer of ORBX. As far as computers are concerned, well let's put it this way I'm still impressed with the light switch and have to fumble and read instr's. 5 times over with this darn thing. But I love the aggravation. I mostly fly low and slow in PNW, BC, SAK in my trusted Manfred Jahn's DC 3 or Milton Shupe's Beech D45 Freighter. Cheers good to know our fellow "addicts". Happy simming.

Hi Jack,

39 here, been simming for a few years now and before that it was on and off since fs2000 but nothing I would call simming, I use to play games like if22 back in the day which was great fun. My first computer was a dragon32 when I was little.

With a broken pc and bills to pay it's going to be a few weeks before I can sim again so spending most me time on me tablet at the moment until my pc is fixed, I'm hoping that p3d v2.3 will be out by the time I fix me pc.

Paul

Hello Jack,

I'm 70, started with Bruce Artwicks Sub Logic on Apple II in mid 70s. I'm using both FSX and P3D V2 (and a few others). Specs and add-ons in my signature. First interest was a right seat flight in a family friends BE-18 in the early 50s.

67 here - been simming 8 years now - bunchs of hours my wife tells me -  have had some r/l flights in 172s' - about 4 hours in my logbook - pacemaker stopped that.

Been a business owner for years and have been blessed with a little "extra" cash-flow to enjoy the hobby.  Have built my own pc's for about ten years - and my first ever faux pc was the Commodore 64 -

and then to IBM's - when 100k memory and 4 meg of memory would last for ten years - if you know what I mean.

Just finished building a motion simulator platform, AC Motor driven, 3 dof for flight simming AND race simming.

Good to know of the maturity here.

Many blessings to you fellows.

Tom

I'm 21, and I've been flight simming for about 11 years. I'm not sure how many flight sim hours I've accumulated. I do the vast majority of my flying in FSX, but I also enjoy Rise of Flight and occasionally venture over to X-Plane. I started using family members' computers when I was too young to remember the specs. The first computer that was considered mine ran Windows 98 I believe. My real-world flying experience consists of one introductory flight in a Cessna 172 several years ago, but I hope to get my PPL when I have the time and money.

It's interesting learning more about the rest of you. Great thread idea, Jack.

42 - and I've been flightsimming since Sublogic's wire-frame sim on the C64 back in the eighties. Started assembling my own computers in 1990 and still won't hesitate to tear open any case I get my hands on :)

Cheers

Mallard

53 here.I remember when I bought my first computer..1997..came with a free disk..FS95.Thought it only had 1 plane and a make believe city with a runway in the lake(megs field)..flew around that make believe city for ages without realising it was Chicago !!!!

My..how times have changed..I'm obsessed with simming !!!

Cheers Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

52. Been simming since 1987 or something like that. Started with an Atari 1024 STfm. Begun with combat sims but slowly moved to civilian flying, specially after switching to a regular PC in the early nineties. Mainly MSFS but also FU. I used to sim for a few weeks or months and then played other games until after a year or so I started simming again. Some 10 years or so ago flightsimming became my main 'PC-game' and I started to buy add ons for it. Since FSX I haven't stopped simming anymore and right now P3D is the only 'game' I have installed. (Due to P3D not performing well on my brand new PC, which I bought for specifically P3D, I am thinking about stopping with this hobby for now though...)

62 years old. Simming since the first "Falcon 16" came out Vs "Mig 15" in CGA. Cyan and Magenta (I think, so long ago I can't remember!!) my computer was an XT and did not have a HDD you had to load programs with a 5" floppy. Went to an "AT" EGA four colours with a 10MB HDD and a 3" floppy, then a 386 when I think I purchased the 1st Microsoft Flight Sim. So when we all have our littler whinge about "shortcomings" in the current crop of programs, if you are old enough, just remember where we came from:):):)

Started simming in the mid nineties. I am now seventy six and lovin' it... I can sim all day (and all night if I wish) and I still wake on a morning and think "Thank God, I don't have to go to work." Teecee.

Hello All,

Just turned 62 a few weeks ago and started flying with the Royal Flying Corp (only kidding he he he ). Bought my first computer 30 years ago and the first thing I did was take it apart to find out just how it worked I was hooked, rebuilt the computer and it worked first time. I bought every mag and book at the time to get as much information as I could get, really hooked. With the knowledge I built and fixed computers for friends and family only charging for parts and my fee was a few cups of tea. I still build computers but only for myself as my fingers are not the same espically with tiny cables. Flight Simulation I have been into for a very long time and I am very surprised that FSX is still going strong moreso with 3rd party software and companies like ORBX.

Next year sometime I am hoping to build a very expensive high-end system even though I have a very good system at the moment. I've tried X-Plane 10 but do not like it keep going back to FSX and I loved 2004 when it was out and it is still very popular even today.

Well, 61 a few weeks ago and yes, it does hurt! I've been interested in aviation since I was a kid. My ambition was to be an airline pilot, but as is often the case in life, our dreams are sometimes sacrificed for more practical paths with easier goals. Anyway, I dabbled with FS over the years but never 'got into it' until I discovered Orbx and FSX, oh and third party planes.

So I guess a real fanatic for about four to five years. My actual RW experience consists of flying hang gliders for five years, numerous XC's in sailplanes with the odd option of flying my pal's 172. So nowhere near as much exposure as some guys around here, but in actual hours in FSX, well, that probably works out at thousands, due to the time I'm glued to my rig! Although these days I am a little less OCD with things :smile:

Actually can not recall what year in the 1970's it was, but started on a Commodore 64 with Bruce Artwick's original Flight Simulator that he later sold to M$.  (I still have the boxed software).

Like teecee I can sim 24/7 if I desire.

I started in 1982 with a ZX Spectrum, Psions  48K!! flight sim, it had in flight,take off and landing mode .No external views just instruments, (of sorts), on screen and a few wire frame graphics representing the runway,never did land that plane lol,Then on to a Commodore 64 and its own "versions" of a flight sim.I  think I tried most, if not all versions of anything flightsim that was released.

Present day I now build my own rigs and mostly use them for flight-sim and occasionally other games that take my fancy.Flying FSX in DX10 Mode and P3D2 with no particular favourite 

Just cannot get my water right in P3D2 crikey! sims now show water and hills and mountains....... oh how times have changed.

Still working (a young 52 yrs old) so this kinda gets in the way, but it pays for the software and kit I suppose.

Gary

Before simming I was interested in RC and this is from 1974, in Sweden.

BfMRY.jpg

Jack

the Swede in Spain

jack there must be an easier way to cut the grass... :)

my 57 year old humour.sorry... early flightsimmer...used to love ATP and Fighter pilot on the spetrum 48 and ATARI ST

steve

58 here - got started on a TI94A in the early 80's started with flight sims @ 85 - off and on ever since.... Have a little over 10 hours in my log book working toward my private pilots license now the kids are mostly out of school - travel as an IT consultant so have many evenings in hotels with FSX on a laptop - planning the next laptop to handle pd3 because of the travel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived