-= April 2014 Product Roadmap =-

John Venema

I hope that one day I could fly all the way from Denver to Fairbanks, and back following the coast all the way to LA in a single, huge Orbx region. 8)

Though anything that adds directly to current West Coast will surely get to my money.

+1 (or 2 or 3).  ;)  As much as I'd love to see the east coast of NA covered, esp the Northeast, I really like the idea of having a big, mega-Orbx region.  Southern CA, the lower Rockies, the desserts of the southwest ... really any of those would be quite cool.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of having a big, mega-Orbx region.  Southern CA, the lower Rockies, the desserts of the southwest ... really any of those would be quite cool.

Agreed. Having all of them together would be insanely cool.

Would truly love to see ORBX-Land extend all the way out over NM, CO, WY, MT and maybe even as far as the Black Hills in the western parts of the Dakotas. Go East Young Men! Just stop when you hit the Great Plains fellas.

While we all have our favorite area, there are a number of us that fly for virtual airlines and I wonder if is an area to investigate further.  Many fly in Alaska and N.W.T and airports are as important or maybe even more important than regions. Especially when you look at their principal locations...I for one really enjoyed the improvement to my flying area with the Freeware in Alaska. Although I am sure that the jet set enjoys great expanses of real estate, but I would bet the majority of the ORBX clients fly low and slow at least part of the time adding support to additional airports.  I would also comment that I like to see the completeness of something started, such as finishing all of California and Alaska.  One thing for sure, ORBX continues their success with the introduction of new material, so you know something good is just down the road. 

Henry

Hasn't Southern Rocky Mountains (SRM) been on the roadmap a long time ago? With KDEN now being available (maybe even Aspen at some point) wouldn't that be a nice step to extend the other regions in the Northwest?

I'm sure a Southern California would be very famous! But for Alaska... well, I love the Southern Alaska region, but how much glaciers does a VFR pilot actually need?? We have a HUGE region north of PNW, including Pacific Fjords, Tongass Fjords and now Southern Alaska. I personally would see absolutely no reason to fly further to Northern Alaska because I fear there is nothing more to see that you couldn't see in the current regions (??). At least you're even more "lonely" there.

From my point of view it would be more interesting to expand the density of airports in the existing regions like NRM, PFJ + SAK (the latter made good efforts with Yakutat, Kenai, Juneau and Gustavus, but still the distance between those is still huge compared to the airfields in PNW... and will even be bigger with an expansion of regions in northern direction). Or moving south as it will be done with SoCal.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi guys!

I totally agree with what DeeJay said. It's time to move EAST on Full-fat Regions!! Can you imagine a FTX Florida?! Dreaming is not sinning right? That would sell like water! :)

Talking about sales, someone mentioned what selled good and what didn't. How do you guys know that? It's always good to know about the "sales health/statistics" of a company we're all so much interested in having a loooong life providing us such a good enhancement in FS like ORBX does. I hope it continues to do such a wonderful work and keeps growing in wealthiness and staff, so we can see more products in shorter timeline.

Also, in my opinion, why not making a poll and leaving it as a permanent public link in what customers want/prefer? (If there isn't one already), I would love to express my opinion as well as seeing other's in what should we expect in the future, instead of endless and fragmented requests here and there.

Thanks guys, you made me come back to Flight simming as an eternal hobby!

My thing is why are there no airports done for the great state of idaho it boggles my mind that California scenry just came out and they already have a small airport within a month of its release but no airports for idaho am I missing something

Bonners Ferry is located in northern Idaho and was released back in September :)

Airports out in less populated States are a bit harder to do as we usually don't have somebody on hand to photograph the airport so we have to rely on making contact with airport management and convincing them to get photos. So Idaho is harder than the Pacific Northwest or California.

Hi folks!

Newbie here (First post).

Recently i've purchased the FTX EU  England and Ireland regions (my very first   texture addons, other than various airports)!

I'm  interested to fly in a detailed landscpe in my homecountry (GREECE) and would like to ask, if orbx plans to create a FTX EU GREECE region in the future.

Or is the upcoming Europe Open LC the way to go? From what i understand, the specific EU regions are much more detailed in comparison to the whole Global -  vector - europe LC  package.

Thanks 

Gerasimos St. 

Hi folks!

Newbie here (First post).

Recently i've purchased the FTX EU  England and Ireland regions (my very first   texture addons, other than various airports)!

I'm  interested to fly in a detailed landscpe in my homecountry (GREECE) and would like to ask, if orbx plans to create a FTX EU GREECE region in the future.

Or is the upcoming Europe Open LC the way to go? From what i understand, the specific EU regions are much more detailed in comparison to the whole Global -  vector - europe LC  package.

Take a look at the "Definitive Guide" to Orbx products.  It pretty much explains everything.  Was very helpful to me when I was a newbie ... which I still kind of am.   ;)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Regarding Cambridge Airport:

I feel I should say for the record that communication from my side never went quiet, despite me leaving the airport at the end of last year. The last I heard from ORBX in an e-mail from JV was that the developers would be in touch with me as soon as they became available. I heard nothing further.

I was also in touch with John Lovell who was aware that I had left recently but I also told him that I could continue to facilitate the project. At the time he told me that we wasn't any longer involved with ORBX - hence my direct comms with JV.

I have, in the last few days written to John Lovell again reiterating that I may still be able to help with this and am awaiting a response. I am yet to hear from any developers.

I have done everything I can to encourage ORBX to complete the project and will continue to do so! The current management of the airport has confirmed to me that they will honour their commitment to the project but they have also heard nothing from ORBX. Fingers crossed someone can get it done! :-)

Luke

I have done everything I can to encourage ORBX to complete the project and will continue to do so! The current management of the airport has confirmed to me that they will honour their commitment to the project but they have also heard nothing from ORBX. Fingers crossed someone can get it done! :-)

Luke

Luke, your efforts  are appreciated, and I hope we see the Cambridge project resurrected. Obviously, because I live here, I have a vested interest, but with everything from Tiger Moths to C-130s to a Boeing 777 earlier this week ( British Airways' G-YYMA ) its both small enough and big enough to suit all flight simming preferences. 

We have already stated publicly that investment in developing further UK airports is on hold due to the poor sales compared to airports for North America. The next UK airport to be released is Welshpool in Wales, which has been in development for over a year now but delayed due to poor health of one of the developers.

Since all Orbx developers earn royalties on the projects they develop, it's natural for them to want to focus on areas in which they see strong sales and a return on their months of efforts. For this reason you are seeing airports released in places people want to fly like western USA and now places like PNG and the Pacific Islands.

There are many airport managers in addition to Cambridge who request Orbx to make their airport in the sim, but there has to be a good business case for us to go ahead and develop them.

That said, we'd still like to do Cambridge one day and we are reviewing the sales rates of our UK addons in the meantime.

A metrics-driven market-based approach is going to be the only way these guys keep going, fellas. So if we want more ORBX scenery, then we need to get our heads around this. It's hard to do that when we are so emotionally invested in our hobby, and we want what we want (certainly is still OK to log on and ask right?) but even the most sentimental among us have to admit that none of us would do this any differently if we were in JV's shoes.

Best thing you can do is support the effort and buy some UK airports. If you have already done that, then I would argue that you have every right to pipe up and ask for more (though without the right to expect it).

EDIT: 30 seconds after posting this I am already fighting the urge to join the chorus asking for Cambridge. : )

Since all Orbx developers earn royalties on the projects they develop, it's natural for them to want to focus on areas in which they see strong sales and a return on their months of efforts. For this reason you are seeing airports released in places people want to fly like western USA and now places like PNG and the Pacific Islands.

John, reading this, is it fair to say that AYPY has done well in it's box-office debut? Hope so. I bet it isn't hurting sales of YBCS either.

Good on you, man. Keep doing what your doing.

how about revisiting Washington state for wala wala airport and a redo of the two Kenmore airlines seaplane bases and lakes and finely a correct rendition of boeing field with a traffic update for Kenmore air and san juan airlines/ northwest sky faeries Cessna 206s 207s and 208Bs and 208exs

chad

Is the plan to make a Southern Rocky Mountains FTX terrain region dead?

I notice it isn't on the April 2014 road map and there was no Orbx comment to the other posts in this thread that mentioned it.

This map (from 2011?) had the projected area.  There is some fantastic terrain to explore within that area and many challenging airports too.

I realize that Global + Vector + mesh + openLC NA should make the area look pretty darn good (just no airport updates, specific landmarks, etc... of a FTX Region).

Just trying to clarify if there will be a Southern Rocky Mountains region to buy in the future.

xmHas.jpg

NZAA not happening now, at least in the short term.

Please keep in mind that all projects shown on these roadmap posts are subject to change or cancellation etc.

The only time you can count on something being released is when the team begins to show preview shots.

I feel I should say for the record that communication from my side never went quiet, despite me leaving the airport at the end of last year. The last I heard from ORBX in an e-mail from JV was that the developers would be in touch with me as soon as they became available. I heard nothing further.

I was also in touch with John Lovell who was aware that I had left recently but I also told him that I could continue to facilitate the project. At the time he told me that we wasn't any longer involved with ORBX - hence my direct comms with JV.

I have, in the last few days written to John Lovell again reiterating that I may still be able to help with this and am awaiting a response. I am yet to hear from any developers.

Luke

Hi Luke, please accept my apologies if I did not see your message. I must have missed it and would have certainly replied to you if I had seen it.

For the record, I am still very much willing to assist in any photography duties if Cambridge was given the go ahead

Regards

John 

NZAA not happening now, at least in the short term.Please keep in mind that all projects shown on these roadmap posts are subject to change or cancellation etc.The only time you can count on something being released is when the team begins to show preview shots.

That's really sad.

However, I hope the health issues of the person who was developing it have improved.

NZAA not happening now, at least in the short term.

Please keep in mind that all projects shown on these roadmap posts are subject to change or cancellation etc.

The only time you can count on something being released is when the team begins to show preview shots.

So you do AYPY and not NZAA? Plenty of Vatsimmers use NZAA. Ideal place to fly from...short Tasman crossings to plenty of Aussie destinations (3 hrs to 7 hrs) as well as great local trips from 30min to 2 hrs and all over NZNI and NZSI. Very disappointing really.

Roadmap for 2015 says  "Next FTX EU Regions.."   what will this product have that is not already covered by Open LC EU please? Basically relates to my other posts where I am very confused whwen comparing existing Orbx regions that will also be covered gradually by Open LC (plus Base and vector of course).

Cheers  Dan

Archived