-= April 2014 Product Roadmap =-

John Venema

Tim Harris posted the WWII vehicles, not Russ. That project has gone quiet since Tim is working on 'Project X' right now ...

I like it.

Sure I can see it now -- guess Project X and win a free copy! Just kidding, of course....

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any plans to do some work on Hungary and some of their airports. I have got the payware Aerosoft Mega Budapest but it is almost unusable because of the low frame rates. I started my aviation career in Hungary during the communist era and the only way I am ever going back there again is in FSX.

SO GLAD that KMRY Monterey Regional Airport is being developed... and by my favorite Orbx developer, Jarrad!

I don't have many airports that I have a strong attachment to, but KMRY is one of them. I'm a huge John Denver fan, and this was the airport that he flew his then recently-purchased Rutan Long-EZ out of on what was to be his final flight.

Thank you for including this CA airport in the Orbx lineup! And, having Jarrad as the lead developer... that's just sweet icing on the cake, for me.

-Paul

All that I am wishing for is that most airports be updated for installers that will work in P3D 2.2 since I will never ever go back to FSX. (the error ridden mess that is was but I loved it)

And ... I want to take this time to thank all the crew at Orbx for updating the few airports so far - I know it takes time. Bless you all.

I check the Master List everyday ... http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/68566-master-list-of-all-p3d2-ready-orbx-products/

FSX is now in the past for me - I never get an error message in P3D and it looks and runs just right every time I fly.

So Orbx, please update these first .. Orcas Island, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Gustavus. ::)

ahhh excellent news and bad news! Excellent news: Norway, Lake Tahoe. Bad news: Aberdeen!!!!

....you have to admit that Aberdeen EGPD is the perfect airport to jump the North Sea and go to Norway 

Ok then in that case, JV explained it -- Lars is busy with college studies. Aberdeen has to wait a bit, cannot lay that at the feet of ORBX. It's just an objective fact. I gotta think he will graduate eventually.

You know as badly as I pine for each and every single release these guys do, I could live 6-12 months with just what I already have. There is just so much to explore and do, with all the diiferent airplanes and repaints that I have, it would take me the better part of a year to really get good use out of all the airports that I've already bought and installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just wondered whether there were plans in the next few years to do "full" regions across the middle or east side of the USA?

For example, are we ever likely to see an ORBX Florida? Or are you guys only focussing on the west coast/alaska as hinted in the first post?

I have loads of payware addons across the USA and it's nice to think that one day - even if that's ten years away - they will all reside within "full fat" regions.

Cheers

There may be different styles of flying, but for me as a pure VFR pilot it's importat to have larger connected regions to go back and forth between. That's what I like on the present approach, including the projected Southen Califormia/Northern Alaska. Based on this, I would like to see a region augmenting the Utah etc. area fitting nicely to what we already have.

Kind regards, Michael

Hasn't Southern Rocky Mountains (SRM) been on the roadmap a long time ago? With KDEN now being available (maybe even Aspen at some point) wouldn't that be a nice step to extend the other regions in the Northwest?

I'm sure a Southern California would be very famous! But for Alaska... well, I love the Southern Alaska region, but how much glaciers does a VFR pilot actually need?? We have a HUGE region north of PNW, including Pacific Fjords, Tongass Fjords and now Southern Alaska. I personally would see absolutely no reason to fly further to Northern Alaska because I fear there is nothing more to see that you couldn't see in the current regions (??). At least you're even more "lonely" there.

From my point of view it would be more interesting to expand the density of airports in the existing regions like NRM, PFJ + SAK (the latter made good efforts with Yakutat, Kenai, Juneau and Gustavus, but still the distance between those is still huge compared to the airfields in PNW... and will even be bigger with an expansion of regions in northern direction). Or moving south as it will be done with SoCal.

Just my 2 cents.

DeeJay, re-thinking this, I tend to agree to you on Northern Alaska.

Supposedly, SRM and/or an extension in Canada would find more customers. Wouldn't this sound a possible strategy to extend Canada to the East (the Toronto Region + Niagara Falls + Great Lakes would be cool) and finally reach the New England States?

Kind regards, Michael

I am less interested in the sequential order of release, than the product themselves.

Southern Rockies has been discussed but it is not yet in the road map. Socal was put ahead of 'rest of Alaska' more recently, probably due to the immediate sales success of NCA. SAK however was also a strong seller, and I really have to believe they want to get back up to finish off that great state.

I am sure there will be many full-fat regions released for the USA, particularly where there is customer demand for them. We're going to focus on Southern California and Alaska then take it from there.

This is a very reasonable position guys, for this point in time. Two more US regions in the works, plus Norway. That will keep them busy for quite some time. We can speculate more when Norway is out and Socal is in the works.

Just glad we have these roadmap threads. Nice to see where we are going.

Hello John Venema

Glad to hear that your going to focus on Southern Cali. My home area. There are a few payware airports such as FSDT LAX and LatinVFR KSAN and now KSNA. Hopefully your Southern Cali region will be compatible with these airports. Very Much looking forward to Southern Cali Region.

Matthew

I love Alaska and especially western Canada, but I'm with you on this one. Personally, I have reached a point where adding more regions almost makes no sense anymore, because I can't fly in them all, time is limited. The PNW/PF/SAK/NRM combo is everything I'll ever need, I guess. Then on the other hand, some regions have only a small number of available airport sceneries in them, with very long distances between them. Pacific Fjords is an example for this.

I'd love to see the available regions filled with much more destinations to fly from and to, especially the British Columbia/Alberta/Yukon area.

I was wondering - wasn't there a statement by someone, maybe John, that an update of PWN was being considered to bring it up to the level of SAK? I searched the forum but didn't find it anymore - was it only a dream of mine?

Hi,

sorry for interrupting, I'm just wondering if Welshpool is still on the road or got off track somehow?
I have some pocket money to spend on it ;)

Thank you and keep up the good work!

There may be different styles of flying, but for me as a pure VFR pilot it's importat to have larger connected regions to go back and forth between. That's what I like on the present approach, including the projected Southen Califormia/Northern Alaska. Based on this, I would like to see a region augmenting the Utah etc. area fitting nicely to what we already have.

+1.  As a GA / mostly VFR flyer, I like the idea of connected regions.'

That being said, I'd also love to see the east coast of the Northeast of the US/Canada included: the Midatlantic states, New England, southern Quebec, New Brunswick, maybe the Great Lakes region.  Also the Florida area + the Caribbean would be nice too, fwiw.

Supposedly, SRM and/or an extension in Canada would find more customers. Wouldn't this sound a possible strategy to extend Canada to the East (the Toronto Region + Niagara Falls + Great Lakes would be cool) and finally reach the New England States?

Kind regards, Michael

Don't know which part of Alaska they're aiming at, but I think a "Western Alaska" region with the peninsula and the Aleutian island chain would be quite special and I would definitely buy it!

I must admit I have not been inclined to buy too much ORBX stuff these days since Oceania/Australia seems to be well and truly in the background now.

Hopefully I can change that in a week or two... with something totally unannounced ;)

I'm a northern guy, so anything that expands Alaska and western Canada is at the top of my hope list for regions! :) I hope that one day I could fly all the way from Denver to Fairbanks, and back following the coast all the way to LA in a single, huge Orbx region. 8)

Though anything that adds directly to current West Coast will surely get to my money.

For Southern California, would Orbx consider adding the old Indian Dunes airport 4CA4 in Valencia, CA, where the old Black Sheep Squadron TV show was filmed?
Most of the airstrip is gone now, and is farmland, I believe...  But it'd be nice to have the airstrip resurrected by Orbx.  Just a thought.  :)

from the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" site, http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanFernan.htm :

IndianDunes_CA_69_zpsdb33c8f4.jpg

-Paul

Archived