-= April 2014 Product Roadmap =-

John Venema

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EGSC Cambridge has one of the strangest apron setups I have ever seen for a medium sized airport. Where exactly do those Darwin Airline Saab 2000s park? It just seems to be a mish mash of small apron areas and......well, not much else. If you ask me, it could do with a completely redesigned parking area, and a couple of decent taxiways.

They park in between the beautiful '60's' building and the main (largest) hanger, in the middle (ish) of the field. It's pretty big, quite deceiving really.

I think Darwin have given up there, no more Saabs!!!

:(

Cambridge may have been one of the sim720 projects...

John specifically said Lars was going to do it; that would have made it that much more special, I really rate that guys work Bruce

EDIT - are sim720 still around?

With regards to Cambridge Airport, I seem to recall that Lars paid a visit last year to cover the photographic side of things. As the project has progressed THAT far, I'd hope its not one that's been shelved. Mind you, I also seem to remember the team thinking Cambridge was in Manchester, so hopefully Lars isn't staggering around Old Trafford with his digi cam trying to locate it >:D

With regards to Cambridge Airport, I seem to recall that Lars paid a visit last year to cover the photographic side of things. As the project has progressed THAT far, I'd hope its not one that's been shelved. Mind you, I also seem to remember the team thinking Cambridge was in Manchester, so hopefully Lars isn't staggering around Old Trafford with his digi cam trying to locate it >:D

He could employ David Moyes for a day to take him down to Cambridge. I hear he is looking for a new job....

They park in between the beautiful '60's' building and the main (largest) hanger, in the middle (ish) of the field. It's pretty big, quite deceiving really.

I think Darwin have given up there, no more Saabs!!!

:(

John specifically said Lars was going to do it; that would have made it that much more special, I really rate that guys work Bruce

EDIT - are sim720 still around?

EGSC Cambridge has one of the strangest apron setups I have ever seen for a medium sized airport. Where exactly do those Darwin Airline Saab 2000s park? It just seems to be a mish mash of small apron areas and......well, not much else. If you ask me, it could do with a completely redesigned parking area, and a couple of decent taxiways.

I was actually appointed to take photographs there at Cambridge... I spent a whole afternoon there, talking to airport management about taking the photos. Was going to be a tough one as they have military aircraft based there and security is very tight.

Was all set to go, then the airport manager there left... the whole project fell on its feet after that... sadly.

I did manage to photograph Manchester Barton and took a whole day covering every inch... 

I think he is. Bugger. Its my fault though. No, really, it is.

I came here because word got out that OrbX were doing a poll to see which airfield might be viable for backdating to WW2. Because of this, I purchased FTX England in anticipation. We've heard no more about the "Historic Project" since! But, I noticed they had "Old Buckenham" shortlisted as a future airfield project, so because of its WW2 associations and annual air show, I decided to buy into the FTX Airfields suitable for the A2A P:51 in UK air display guise. Old Buckenham was scrapped shortly afterwards. No matter, FTX were proposing the Netherlands as their next "Full Fat" region, so in anticipation of being able to hop across to my former homeland, I got some payware GA aircraft, and a week later, FTX Netherlands was pulled from the schedule, so blame me for looking forwards to Cambridge, thereby putting a curse upon it! lol

I didn't actually buy anything on the basis of the forthcoming Cambridge >:D. Ahh, its a shame though, as Cambridge would have been a great multipurpose field.

I came here as a warbird nut, and I now find myself flying stuff like the Piper Tomahawk into places like Popham :wacko: lol. Still, in for a penny, in for a pound. At least UK2000 still have EGSH Norwich on their 2014 schedule, and Barton and Welshpool will look pretty, in that OrbX kinda way.

And better still, Lars is okay, and not lost in Salford as I'd feared.

Are you saying that development of EGSC Cambridge has been abandoned?? ???

Well, hopefully not.

Communication kinda died down a bit as i wasn't sure if they were still going to develop it. 

In light of this subject, I have just re contacted Luke who was their airport manager in hopes of getting an appointment to take photographs there. Hopefully, he still keeps in contact with the new management there.. fingers crossed.

That's a shame, I didn't realise Russ had gone. I remember he posted up some screenshots of various RAF Vehicles he'd already created, and they looked REALLY good! It certainly would have been 'different'.

I'm really enjoying the FTX GA fields at the moment though. I don't know if the popularity of the A2A Cessna boosted what was "less than expected" sales? Or if their forthcoming Cherokee will bolster demand for the smaller grass airfields, but since flitting around the UK in the RealAir Duke, the A2A Cub and the Alabeo Tomahawk, I've developed a new appreciation of their unique character and detailing.

Will the next payware airfield be photoreal Groom Lake and Area 51 I wonder? That's not really fair on Tim though, he was a nice guy. It might have been better to just give him six weeks notice rather than send him into area 51 with his camera on an "assignment". Come to think of it, I've not seen Wolter around for a while either! He's not involved with this "project X" too is he? >:D

My apologies if I missed it in the posts, but I didn't see OpenLC for North America.  Is this still happening??

Thanks for all the fantastic work.  I've been using Prepar3D v2.2 along with Global and Vector.  The results are absolutely stunning.

Regards,

John

Archived