MS Flight Simulator - Now Taking Off in Color!

Dal

Here is a bit of nostalgia for those who remember.  Circa 1982 when Bruce Artwick had the copyright along with Microsoft.  Check out those hardware requirements.

CjUBY.jpg

olSN.jpg

That's when I was hooked on MSFS.  I had to buy IBM compatible PCs and there were so many folks with IBM compatible machines that my bench mark was Flight Simulator.  Before I placed an order, I had them load Flight Simulator and demonstrate it.  I even had executive cursor controllers (aka joysticks) so I tested a lot of machines.

That's crazy. I mean, really. That's CRAZY. I say this every time I see a thread such as this, but:

We were happy with THAT when it came out. 

Then FS 98... With the Lear 45, more detailed cities, and ability to use GPUS.

We were happy with that.

Then FS 2000, 3D elevation, a GPS, 17,000 new airports, and the Concorde and 777. And we were happy with that.

Then came 2002. AI Traffic, autogen, and a crude virtual cockpit.

Then 2004. Amazingly better graphics, better virtual cockpits, 3D clouds, and somewhat real-time weather.

Then 2006. FSX. We were happy then with the default scenery, aircraft, and environment. We were happy with it....

AND THEN we got ORBX, PMDG, Carenado, all the companies we know and love today. 

We were happy with this here scenery,

tQQTWX1.jpg

Now, look what the current standard we don't dare to go below is!

fw4QLjk.jpg

Or look at any other ORBX product screenshot.

My point? Times change, and so do we!

I remember the first time I saw this simulator.   In the early 80's a local department store in the Seattle area hosted an electronics/photo expo every year and my dad and I saw the Sublogic version that would eventually become the MS simulator in use for the first time.   The cool thing about this show was that vendors allowed the customers to try it hands on and we were both hooked.   I have tried just about every civilian simulator on different platforms through the years.   Joysticks have also come along way.

Mike

I'm glad this gives some of you an "Oh wow"! moment.  I have kept that package since I bought it.  Sadly, I lost the 5 1/4" floppy it came on.

Now, look what the current standard we don't dare to go below is!

Outrage, what/where is that scenery you took that last screenshot and is that P3D V2.2?

I'm glad this gives some of you an "Oh wow"! moment.  I have kept that package since I bought it.  Sadly, I lost the 5 1/4" floppy it came on.

Outrage, what/where is that scenery you took that last screenshot and is that P3D V2.2?

That's Misha's Vernoia. Available from ORBX :).

This brings back memories of my first try at MSFS on a Macintosh. I got the skeleton-like plane started and I took off and began to climb. Using key commands I lost control and crashed. I decided it wasn't for a computer novice like me.  Years later I still had the bug to fly and found a program that gave me a carrier with Harriers and I bought a stick. For the next 1-1/2 years my business suffered because my computer was in my office and every chance I found I was flying Harriers but finally I accepted my need to apply my energy to my business and drop the games.

A  faster PC reawakened my desire to fly and I started reading about FS2002 and wondered if it was something I could play. It meant I would have to break my resolutions to leave games off my computer but I decided to make the plunge just as FS9 was released. I only had to drop a few hints around Christmas and my wife told her brother she needed his technical knowledge to find me a stick and throttle so I could start sim flying. I gladly received her gift and went shopping for software. Shortly after I installed FS9 and discovered forums and freeware which added fun to every aspect of simulated flight.  It is astounding how much better the newest addons are. 

Whatever I've set up, added, or purchased since then has brought more realism and immersion and I've enjoyed many hours being totally irresponsible as I've engaged my flying fantasies. Somehow, my business is surviving.

good flights, Cal

That's Misha's Vernoia. Available from ORBX :).

Thanks.  Ya, it looked signature ORBX awesomeness.  I am running P3D V2.2 and Vernonia Muni is not on the Ver. 2.x capability list as of yet.  

Cal - For many years, I used MSFS as my benchmark for my PC hardware configuration.  If the latest version of FS didn't fly well, it was time to upgrade!

Thanks.  Ya, it looked signature ORBX awesomeness.  I am running P3D V2.2 and Vernonia Muni is not on the Ver. 2.x capability list as of yet.  

Cal - For many years, I used MSFS as my benchmark for my PC hardware configuration.  If the latest version of FS didn't fly well, it was time to upgrade!

Yeah, most amazing part is Misha is my age 15!

Certainty gives me some hope and anybody like me starting scenery design - If you push and push and push it IS possible. Should actually be easier for all you adults who don't have to worry about school AKA what determines how your life goes!

Yes Ryan, when Meigs was alive and well!

I used to love flying in and around Meigs and buzzing the Sears Tower.  I was really disappointed when they closed Meigs IRL.

i didnt start playing flight sim until fs9, but i did start building my first pc back when windows 95 had just been released, with my shiny new 500mb hardrive and 32mb of ram, with 8mb videocard,it's amazing how things changed, i think i gave 300usd for the 500mb hardrive

i didnt start playing flight sim until fs9, but i did start building my first pc back when windows 95 had just been released, with my shiny new 500mb hardrive and 32mb of ram, with 8mb videocard,it's amazing how things changed, i think i gave 300usd for the 500mb hardrive

Brett, still have the old harddrive?

Check out what I did with mine following this guide!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycled-Hard-Drive-Desk-Clock/

thats interesting, at least after the drive was outdated you still made use of it, i wish i would have kept my first build, but of course now it would be in an antique store, i might try that after i change out my last mechanical drive when ssd's come down more, i still like the shiny platters.

I remember during the first elections in South Africa in which the ANC were allowed to nominate in the mid 1990s a local worker in the SA Electoral Commission asked a friend of mine if he had a 'stiffie' :o . My friend was taken aback by the request but relaxed when the local person explained it was a 31/2 inch 'floppy' so called because it didn't bend.  :lol:

Dal,  Mayor Daley's dirty tricks are still hated by area aviators to this day.  I once flew a helicopter into Chicago and had to land in the park that replaced it as my instructor decided I had a low oil pressure warning. We got questioned by cops when we landed and I politely informed him that it's perfectly within regulations to do so and I had an oil pressure warning I wanted to check out (that's a free pass even if it was restricted as you can't just cruise a helicopter to the next airport if something shows up on your panel), its more a case of land, and land now, even if it was a training exercise.  I didn't count on him hanging around though so we decided to legitimize our reason by doing a pre flight before taking off again.  That RW approach would have been a great one.

Ryan - Been there, so to speak.  Was flying from Van Nuys KVNY to San Francisco KSFO in a Long Ranger when the dash lit up like crazy.  The "chip lights" were all lit up, basically telling us that our turbine was disintegrating.  Landed at Hollister where we learned it was only dirty sensors.  Took off  an hour later and made KSFO where we hovered above while watching 747s land.  Such an odd perspective from there.

Dal,

Worst "actual" thing I had was averted before we got airborne.  I was flying cross country from Warsaw, IN to Indianapolis heliport downtown and landed at Kokomo for fuel, came back out and did a preflight and discovered the underside of the tail boom covered in oil.  The gauge was showing only 1/4 quantity of what it should.  I started pulling panels until I found that somehow a line had been clipped that was feeding it back into the engine bay, all over the exterior panel and out onto the boom with the wind spattering it everywhere.  Thankfully they had an A&P onsite who just happened to have a section of the oil feeder tube we needed. We got back going again after a check flight and some more oil with no damage, I would have surely had to auto into a field somewhere if I'd have waited until the next airport on my chart for fuel :)

I had the first one from Sublogic, Flight Simulator 1.0 on the Apple IIe

My second one was Subligic Flight Simulator 2.0 for the Apple IIe

Didn't get the third one.

Bought an IBM PS/2 so I could run Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0 and then every version after that.

Now I am keeping my 3 year old I7 machine with Windows7 to run FSX. Other then that one machine our house is Microsoft Free. 

Right now I like the ChromeBooks as they have great potential for the future. I'll keep my old I7/Win7 just for FSX, other then that I won't bother with Microsoft any more.

Archived