Who here is into Photography ?

Maurice_King

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love those b&w shots, Mark  ;D

Taph - I think it's almost impossible to take a bad shot of the Dales..... these two are superb   ;D

This was taken of an old fishing boat on Hastings 'beach'.   Seemed to evoke a sense of being time-worn after

years of hard labour at sea.....but now at peace.

Storms-past_zps679a6fe9.jpg

Thanks chaps... nice shots of the Dales, somewhere I've yet to go, and I love the boat Kevin, which has bags of character.

Graeme, you look right in the action there... can you get this close as public, or are you 'at work'?.... it looks like the guys in the tank have you spotted :o

For the Apache I was right in the middle of the plain at the Everleigh drop zone which you can access so long as you stay on the byways. I've had the week off and as I live nearby I have been there a few times this week and the helicopters will often give you a personal airshow as they buzz around during their training. You do need to be patient though as you wait for whatever to turn up.

There's a nice story for the the tank. I had parked up on the hard standing to the side of one of the tank crossings across the public road. This part of the plain is a danger area so you can't really access the grassy area. There were about 30 Challengers and 15 Warriors with other vehicles parked up and refuelling and as they finished they would roll down the hill and then join a gravel road which was about 30 feet in front of where I was standing. This guy stopped on the gravel road, put his main gun on me and then the crew stuck their thumbs up for me to take a photo - I kinda think he was telling the driver this was his plan in the shot above as he is looking right at me and talking on the mic. Unfortunately, I had a 300mm lens on so the posed shot didn't come out (I was way too close) but I am pretty pleased with this one...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of shots from Dartmoor... going for something graphic rather than traditional landscapes.

miNgl.jpg

IXJgO.jpg

My first L series lens... secondhand, but in mint condition... I really love it and the images are pin sharp.

Love these pics Mark, very nice...

• 1 month later...

Oh my, only just discovered this thread...Simply fantastic work here!

Pretty much been a keen part time photographer since I (without his permission) picked up my Dad's SLR when I was about 7-8 years old.

Progressed from my first SLR (Practica BMS) when I was 14, to a Canon EOS 500, a EOS Digital Rebel, to a Canon 40d which met a "wet ending" on Porthminster Beach in St Ives last year before convincing her indoors I should buy my current Canon 5dMk3, I mostly use the Canon 24-105L and my beloved 100-400L airshow lens.

Favourite things to photograph are landscapes as I love travel, my children (2 daughters 4 & 6 years old) and of course the thing that bought us all here Aviation.

What are the size rules for posting images here? I shall upload some I would really appreciate the critique from the very talented people here.

Cheers,

Fraser

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat

Tried yesterday to edit, it let me get at the text, but did not show the IMG entry to remove the unwanted photo's it just showed the photos, so I any admin reading please feel free to delete the extra shots.

No longer get an option to edit the post

Taph

great shots, Misha. iPhone5, huh? I love the last one.

One thing I don't like about technology is that the younger generation doesn't seem to realize that it was once a bit more difficult to take pictures of things like lightning. I show pics I took of lightning to my nephew and he says "yeah...so...I can do that". well, yeah, but there was a time when you had to actually figure out how. But even with technology, you still have to have an eye for composition(framing). for me, photography is all about 'whats in the shot'. Our world is filled with once in a lifetime moments and its a photographers job to catch those moments and share them with those who are too busy not noticing. Concepts like 'soft focus' are lost one me. When the newlywed couple on the sailboat ask me to take their picture and a dolphin just happens to jump out right behind them and I can catch that for them, I could not care less about 'soft focus'. I just hope it all gets in that shot...clearly enough...for them to enjoy it. I hope it did.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 3 candidates outside the kitchen window been swotting up for the first solo over the past few weeks .....

now, whose tank was I supposed to top up next? ...

Og6MT.jpg

magneto check ...

z24al.jpg

take-off is definitely imminent within the next couple of days ....

the continuing saga of our feathered friends ....

heads up guys - here comes the chief flight examiner ....

l3IRK.jpg

well, wonder how Charlie made out ...

MSbDK.jpg

not quite what I was after - just as well I got the new "all purpose stick to anything" undercarriage ...

wkH29.jpg

there goes Fred - looks like he had things more under control ...

AspOF.jpg

at least I can walk away from this one which is more than I can say for Charlie ...

Lm0ru.jpg

finally got the place to myself - I ain't goin' nowheres ...

aF3IM.jpg

not true folks - young George disappeared several hours later - one empty nest going cheap ... :-*:-* :-*:-* :-*:-* :-*

Some lovely pictures there chaps.  I've done photography most of my life from the age of about 10 borrowing my Dad's kodak bellows camera and did it semi-professionally for a number of years and had a really nice darkroom set up for some of that time.

I only take a few snaps just for the album now when we're out and about.

John

Hey John ya wanna get a laugh ? I went to get some chemicals not long ago so I could Develop and Print some my Landscapes I capture on Fuji Velvia 25 Film stock,  they thought I was mad still using film. until I showed them a comparison between 2 prints one from my D3 and one from my F80 with Velvia. 

Admittedly I only us it for Landscapes as it gives such a warmth and depth to the colour saturation that Digital can't hold a candle too.

Yes, but I found an even better solution.  Years ago I bought a really good quality Epson 4900 Photo that will scan anything up to 12" x 10".

As you know, dust is a problem when printing from either negative or positive film.  No more.  This scanner gets rid of it as you scan.  The results I get from it offers the best mixture I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of Images in the National Photography Society in London that have been produced using the same technique. 

The quality and resolution of the scanned image is incredible and I once had to make a limited edition landscape print 4' long by 12" deep.  Apart from the printer leaking black ink at the end of the print run a couple of times (costly from the best quality roll photo paper you could get at the time) the actual image came up perfectly and I printed 12 of them, all of which sold in a couple of days.  I was cursing that limited edition.  

I could have sold 100 at the same price!

I still have the scanner which is only occasionally used now, but that particular printer has long gone and the scanner itself may be on the move if I can't get the drivers for it when I install my new computer.

Ah well.  Times gone by.

John 

Some great pics... and amazing what you can do with an iPhone! :o

Autumn mists... living on a hillside means we often get this effect, where the valley below fills with thick fog, but we are left in the clear.

jLrxl.jpg

Rk3ne.jpg

A Jackdaw posing in a fog bound Cornwall.

NXo79.jpg

Archived