Who here is into Photography ?

Maurice_King

As per Anton's suggestion I thought I'd start a thread regarding Photography .

I have a number of Nikon bodies and various lenses ,  

Some results  of my exploits . 

Feel free to post here too :) 

Hole-in-Sky.jpg

eriksonrotor.JPG

gulfstream200.jpg

silver-drops.JPG

cirruspin.jpg

Si-Baronee.jpg

Connie.JPG

The%20Last%20D&B.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very fine set to kick off with Maurice. As I already mentioned I now use a Canon EOS 60D with a Tamron Di II 18-270mm VC PZD lens. I have been a keen photographer all my life with a number of film SLRs and had four digital cameras but the 60D is my first digital SLR.

This lens I specifically choose to enable me to capture the majority of my photography without having to change lens. I learnt a long time ago that a good photo even of lesser quality is far better than no photo at all. This applies to action photography where often if you have to stop and change a lens an opportunity my be lost. I should also add that I understand that for a professional photographer and with the necessary funding the solution here is to have multiple bodies to go with multiple lenses, but being retired I'm lucky to have what I've got.

Anyway I, like Howard will post some photos when I'm home but in the mean time here is a link to my Bendigo photos listed on Airport-data.com - http://www.airport-data.com/photographers/Anton+von+Sierakowski:5905/Bendigo-YBDG:31101:1.html

Those are some fantastic shots there, Maurice.

I have a Nikon 3100D with a few lenses that I brought specifically for some airshow photography and such. It's so much better to go to an airshow with a nice big 300mm lens and get those close up shots instead of a photo full of blue sky!

Here's a few of mine:

i807.jpg

cXRIF.jpg

qCR1.jpg

And, one with a little 'artsy' flare.

EV67h.jpg

Great pics guys, I shoot with a Nikon D600 for both photo and video.  I have a few lenses: 50mm 1.8 Nikon prime for close ups 28-200 F4-5.6 for general shooting and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VRII for air to air.  Next one I want is a 500mm for airport spotting. Here's one of my videos I put together for  the Hillsborough County Sheriff (Florida) as a thank you for helping me on another project:

https://vimeo.com/76510919

You may have Bruce, except the vision you would have seen was shot by the WFLA AS350 that was also in the air.  It was actually being flown by one of the other police pilots at the time as his second job.  The footage I was given was the actual FLIR footage (which may not have been as good without a professional cameraman).  That is some truly scary footage though.  I screened a lot of it for the video but this was the most heroic one for sure.  I actually flew over the impound yard that still had the offenders car in it as it had only happened the month prior to my arrival.

Geez I didn't expect the response, 
Great shots showcasing a depth of talent that resides here. 

Yes often times the Lenses we choose are a compromise and that can be from necessity to keep costs down, Some lenses can be VERY expensive. 

I swung from Canon to Nikon early in 2001 because I was getting very poor service from Canon in Australia, so I voted with my $$ Sold my Canon gear ALL of it and went Nikon. Now there are some that subscribe to the theory that Canon v Nikon v Pextax and other's , for me the Camera is nothing more than a tool, the person driving that tool makes the difference - now don't get me wrong, good gear is important and it must be reliable but if you don't have the ability is "See" what the camera see's or things that might develop then you are simply not going to capture the image. Any pro will also tell you that for every keeper there are 100 rejects and in this I am my own worst critic.

Bodies D1H (converted to B&W/IR for special use), D200, D800FX , but here comes the surprise.  I used to have about 20 lenses with a range of capabilities, but now I use just 7. I am painfully aware that Zoom Telephoto lenses are a compromise for both light transmission and clarity but the flexibility for me is more important than having to swap primes! that is not to say I don't have any primes either
My quiver consists of

10-30 mm f/2.8 24-70mm f/2.8 , 28-105mm f/3.5, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50-500mm F/5.6 

50mm f/1.4  85mm f/2.8 Macro.

Some more samples if I may   

mozzeagleedit.jpg

This Eagle was some 300 ft from me so rather than frame with my feet I swapped lenses and waited this was the result. 
Captured in Oregon in 2006 when there on a world wind visit to PNW and Colorado.

hawk-after.jpg

Yes Birds interest me. 

olman1.jpg

Landscapes

monaro_high_plains_sml.jpg

monaro_high_plains2_sml.jpg

Monaro High Plains  

Cue Clint Eastwood :P

valleywide.jpg

Now remember what I was saying about seeing things developing, this is a Wide Shot before the sky darkened resulting in the Image at the start of the thread.

I quickly changed to my 500 with converter giving an effective reach of 1000 mm , the result was as shown .

hole_in_sky_tight.jpg

Then of course sometimes I just goof off :P

mozzgoofin.jpg

Hence my Avatar . a Self Portrait of sorts  :)

shavings.jpg

Occasionally things catch my eye like the texture of the timber and the smoothness of the shavings against the harshness of the Plane.

cyclamon.jpg

It is amazing the effect of some black card behind these flower's with a flash above and natural diffuse light from a window.

howitwasdone.jpg

They are different flower's here but the setup was the same . 

justfishin.jpg

Purposely underexposing gives effects like this above.

Clouds can also produce some amazing images 

stormcloud.jpg

And then of course the "Got caught with the finger's in the Icing" 

wadduntmehonest.jpg

Opps It waddunt me honest. 

Another I forgot earlier as I could no locate it 

Especially poignant giv en our closeness to one of our Nations most solemn days 

SRS_0199_Catapult_Party_1_cr.jpg

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; 
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. 
At the going down of the sun and in the morning 
We will remember them."

SRS_National_Pride_cr.jpg

To all our service Men and Women wherever you are currently I salute you

Hi Guys!

I started  about a year ago with a Nikon D5000 and now i'm shooting with my new Nikon D7100 .....most of my lens are prime lenses i shoot RAW and use Lightroom 5 for editing.

Here is a few of my shoots. 8)    

Olz6c.jpg

vqWHK.jpg

Ae5cE.jpg

t8TKJ.jpg

3 frames from a video I took thru the lounge room window the other day - I swear that bird did a perfect back somersault into the bath ...

wHi9U.jpg

PuqQ2.jpg

Glrnv.jpg

I guess you could call these "flight related" ........

I have been into photography for something like 50 years. I started out with my mother's old Box Brownie using 116 film. My first brand new camera was a Praktika LLC which lasted me many years until I brought a Mamiya automatic camera. From there I went to Nikon and am the proud owner of a Nikon 3100. Yes I know there are better cameras in the Nikon range but like Mozz says it is the person behind the lens that makes it work.

By the way Mozz that cloud shot shows what appears to be a woman's face in the middle of the shot.

Enough waffling on ..... here are a few of what I have taken over the years.

The Navy at Temora several years ago.

DSCF0085.jpg

One of the last photos I took of the great Tom Moon flying the Wirraway at Temora.

DSCF0024.jpg

Love this shot of 3237 passing under the footbridge at Lithgow station.

DSC_0039-1.jpg

Taken during an ARO refresher course at Orange a couple of years ago

PMR.jpg

ZLO.jpg

When it snowed in Lithgow in October.

2012-10-12103841.jpg

The Newnes Plateau.

Pagodas2.jpg

This road is actually part of the original formation for the Wolgan Valley Railway.

OldFormation2.jpg

Just off my front lawn.

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0059.jpg

This thread is really getting some great input guys! Beggs, a mate of mine who is way more a pro than I am uses the 7100 exclusively and kills it.  Mozz, I agree with you mate.  Not sure if you ever read Vertical Magazine from the states, but I was working for them at Heli Expo in feb/march and Skip Robinson , who is a world renowned aviation photographer told me that half the shots you see in the magazine are from his Nikon D90!  Which for those who follow technology is a pretty old camera body these days.  I am going to get a second body for air to air shoots (as it's incredibly hard to change lenses at 2000 Ft with a door wide open at 75 knots) I think I am going to go with the 7100 as well, the FX body I have is nice, but the DX 7100 really is nice to shoot with.  I had a 5200 while I was shooting in Anaheim and as uncomplicated as it is, it still produced some great shots.  The picture of the green 407 I posted was taken with that.  Incidentally, that was Harrison Ford's helicopter and he was at the controls.  I have a bunch of pics of him doing his pre flight.  What JV said is completely true, I took my 70-200 to take some pics of my son's scout troop playing basketball last night and due to the fact it was my first shoot with it trying to capture fast motion I was having a hell of a time, but practice makes perfect right!  All I care about is that I get that "1" out of every hundred shots that is magazine quality.  That couch shot I saw on this thread is awesome, the bokeh effect is something I am still struggling with getting.

Getting that soft blur in the background is one of the easiest tricks in the book, just shoot with your lens wide open.  :P

You are right of course Bruce, but there are other factors that also affect the depth of field, which you may be aware of, these include how close you are to the subject and the length of the lens ;)

Here are some shots we've taken during our local flights over the years:

IcePanoramaNorthumberlandStraitFebruary2Ice Panorama, Northumberland Strait, February 2014

OvertheBayCobequidBayMay2012.jpg

Over the Bay, Cobequid Bay, May 2012

RiverEconomyMay2012.jpg

River, Economy, May 2012

RiverMargareeValleyMarch2011.jpg

River, Margaree Valley, March 2011

ShubieGreenOaksFebruary2013.jpg

Shubie, Green Oaks, February 2013

TomsIslandNewHortonApril2013.jpg

Tom's Island, New Horton, April 2013

Wow! Those are truly stunning pics Michael, absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks Howard, but sadly I have to fess up and admit that only the top shot's mine; the others (in order of appearance) are my wife's, a workmates, a friend from university, another workmate, and yet another workmate (luckily, most of my workmates trust my flying enough to go up with me!).

That couch shot I saw on this thread is awesome, the bokeh effect is something I am still struggling with getting.

Hi Ryan!

I'm glad you like the bokeh on that picture. I use the D5000 with a 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR, I really like the bokeh effect on the 50mm.

This is the actual picture without the bokeh effect. :)

7TeqX.jpg

Olz6c.jpg

Thanks!!

Archived