Who here is into Photography ?

Maurice_King

Alex, can also buy or build a steady-cam mount. They are relatively cheap to build.
Or you can just buy a little one for like $40-$50.
There is a small learning curve as you get the feel, but you're a simviator, I'm pretty sure you can manage it. ;D

Did the instruments on that fly bridge come as close to the overpass as it looked in your vid!?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing I find funny about talking to non photography types when they ask about it is that they have no idea that for every great photo you produce, there are hundreds that get the delete button treatment.  They also think that all you have to do is press the button.  Since the DSLR market exploded, just taking the pic is only half the work.  The other is the post production work on a computer.  That on my end has definitely saved many pictures from the bin (trash) as some that may be over or under exposed, when you run through lightroom and dial it down end up being some of your most awesome shots.  What did we do before RAW came around? lol  One of my favourite pics that I took at Heli Expo of Harrison Ford flying his Bell 407 I almost deleted  in camera as it was under exposed.  But when I brought up the light I was stoked at how well the rotor blur came up.

What did we do before RAW came around? lol 

Actually that was one of my first jobs. Photographers brought in their slides, we would use a loop and a light table to review them. Once we found the cover shot or the shot we were using for the ad we had a specialized scanner that would digitize them at the size we needed and then we would treat them in Photoshop... 3 if i remember right. Its weird to think about it now but Photographers used to pay someone else (guys like me) to prep their images for ad agencies.

I worked with mostly ski and snowboard magazines so I did a lot of exposure fixing... and a lot of sunburn removal. If it was for an ad or mag cover we would sometimes change the colors of clothes to get the subject to pop or set the right mood, add snow spray, etc.

I forgot to add the point i was trying to make which was that it was miserable work. Fixing exposure when there was no image data to replace it with took forever.
These days I don't think I'd have the patience. Definitely spoiled by RAW.

Ha,

My wife almost fell over when she walked by the first time she actually paid attention to what I was doing with Lightroom, she couldn't believe it was possible to pull a completely dark image back to perfect with one swipe of a slider.  Interesting to hear the stories of old.

Indeed Ryan. I had saved many an underexposed photo from the bin. I do spend more time in PP than in the field.

I also have deleted many my wife asked, why? That one looks good to me! No. It was crap and that's why it was deleted.

Did the instruments on that fly bridge come as close to the overpass as it looked in your vid!?

They were close but not that close. The distance and wide-angle lens are misleading.

I love all the new additions they've made in the Adobe Raw editors. Exposure was cool enough, now we can adjust highlights along with whites and then exposure.
Even if exposure can't save your blow out you can still make it at least look intentional. ;)
S'pose I should post a couple instead of just eyeballing everyone elses.

Closest thing to aviation I've ever shot.

Baloon-Glow.jpg

Dock at Oxford Marina on the Occoquan river

Occoquan-Row-Dock.jpg

Another shot of the Occoquan

Oxford-Marina-9.jpg

And also kinda like aviation (my favorite insects)
Dragonfly-Lily.jpg

You want a macro  couldn't be easier, it is a pain in the backside but what you can do is place a Macro filter on the lens which changes the focal point :)  Try Hoya for preference but here is a cheapy  

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/58mm-MACRO-CLOSE-UP-Lens-4-Filter-Kit-Set-1-2-4-10-NEW-AU-LOCAL-SHIPPING-/260991898555

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2IIijxwFs

Another old macro trick is to flip your lens around. You have to hold it in place unless you buy an adapter.

You can also buy extension rings, there are cheap ones that will disable any auto focus and aperture controls and then there are rings with interface capabilities.

I have a set of bellows but don't use them often. One of my next purchases will be a 100mm macro. That dragonfly isn't true 1:1

I use an 85 Prime I use for portraiture with a close-up filter and the results are as you saw with the Bee and Poppy ,  if your careful and creative you don't need a lot of flash gear. 

I have been using close up filters for about 20 years now. Still have the original set given to me by a professional photographer friend in 1994. I also have a couple of sets of extension tubes as well as an extension bellows.

I hadn't been able to use the bellows for several years after buying my Mamiya back in the mid 90s then moving up to Nikon about 5 years ago. That all changed when I purchased a 650-1300 telephoto lens. It has a screw mount but has an adaptor for use with the Nikon.

As I have different lenses that have filter mounts up to 72mm I have a set of step down rings between 48mm and 72mm and I usually buy the filters to fit the largest lens and use the appropriate step down ring.

I usually try to have my camera gear with at all times as you never know what is going to crop up. If that is not possible I always have my Fuji 'almost' compact which has a 15X zoom built in. Unfortunately this camera only is about 6MP and the quality is not the best.

Incidentally until I went digital I used to process all my film and prints as I had control over what was produced. Today I still have some access to chemicals just in case I decide to pull my old 5x4 camera out for some work, but these days the quality of digital is so good you can blow it up to the size that you get with the 5x4 negs.

Oh Howard, if this bottle of red didn't put my mind in the gutter I could've sworn you were Antipodeon .......... It's a rhyming thing...in our language shoot rhyms with our slang for..........she's gorgeous and so photogenic. :). You devil

I forgot to mention earlier that I also have a couple of camera rails. These attach to the base of the camera and on to the tripod and I can move the camera back or forward without having to move the tripod.

I feel the best accessories I have in my camera bag are the 2 different sized Gorilla Pods. Great for when a tripod cannot be used.

I forgot to mention earlier that I also have a couple of camera rails. These attach to the base of the camera and on to the tripod and I can move the camera back or forward without having to move the tripod.

I feel the best accessories I have in my camera bag are the 2 different sized Gorilla Pods. Great for when a tripod cannot be used.

Gorrilla pods are awesome!

Do any of you macro shooters use focus stacking techniques?

Spring is here and I'm trying to get out of the studio and back outside with my camera. I'm going to try and shoot some stacks this year.

I shot a few last year but nothing worth showing off.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Alex I apologise for not mentioning this before but the Architectural shot are beautiful in their own right,  I will be out and about this winter again an will likely have some nice shots to share, 

Circquay_sml.jpg

ready4dinner.jpg

deadhorse.jpg

lastlight.jpg

SRS_Frozenbubbles.jpg

SRS_Ramprail.jpg

SRS_Rock&moss.jpg

SRS_winchcrank.jpg

park.jpg

Stay tuned :)

Archived