Who here is into Photography ?

Maurice_King

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex, great shots as always, I have taken a shot from a boat under that very bridge, I will have to see if I can dig it out.  It's of course no where near the quality of yours as it was before I had my pro gear.

Found it.  Sorry about the quality, I had to save it off my business FB page as I am at work.

post-415-0-48991200-1400244619_thumb.jpg

post-415-0-44765000-1400244654_thumb.jpg

sunrisetassie.jpg

East coast tassie sunrise, not edited taken on panasonic lumix. Mate had it printed and haging on his wall.

Accidents Happen.

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

They actually managed to pull it out, drained teh oil, replaced battery and started it afetr a week in salt water??

Guess teh island

IMG_3138.jpg

Been into Photography properly since August last year so very much at beginner stage... Decided to take the camera out into Kent yesterday and got this shot

1v68R.jpg

You should go around London selling postcards - that's impressive mate :)

Here're are a couple of pics of a young lady who was a dream to shoot...

MjR2.jpg

CD0zS.jpg

C'Mon guys keep it clean without innuendo please.

Hello forum users, I responded to Howard's posts without due consideration or thought for my comments. My comments were disrespectful and offensive. Please accept my apologies.

Hello forum users, I responded to Howard's posts without due consideration or thought for my comments. My comments were disrespectful and offensive. Please accept my apologies.

Blimey Graeme, I don't think so. Only perhaps to a man of the cloth... :D

Some great shots posted in this forum. I got back into it in the past couple of years. Got a K-5 last year and did some shooting in Germany and Iceland. Iceland is AWESOME for the purity of its colors and no pollution. 

Took some of the best shots as an amateur. Was in St. Maarten a few weeks ago at Maho beach spent 2 hours with a cheap camera wish I had the good one with me something every simmer should put on their bucketlist.

Havnt had time to do much simming or process what I have shot in the past year due to teaching this year but hopefully this summer since I am going nowhere. I'll post some when the students are gone for the summer.

Paul

A few "in action" shots another photographer got of me this weekend on a job.  Sometimes getting "the" shot is all about access.  As you can see, He was in the bullpen but I was able to be up with the marshal due to being the official photographer for the event.  Here's also a couple from my position.

XLn0P.jpg

tVG0a.jpg

pW4yM.jpg

9yB2Z.png

7kRpO.png

Thanks to all of you for sharing your work. Theres some extremely good stuff here. I love the black and whites, and the textures and landscapes. very good stuff.

when I was younger I had a Pentax K-1000 that my parents gave me for Christmas. I took as many shots as I could afford to have developed at the time. My favorite shots were ones that either told a story or compared two naturally occurring subjects. Alex's bird and plane shadow is an example of that. I love that kind of thing.

My current camera is just a cheap Canon but Ive taken some good shots with it - good to me anyway. I've wanted to get a better camera but I find it hard to justify.

anyway...nice photos and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Pat. I have been a member of Nikon Cafe (posting almost daily) for over 8 years. I was also a mod there for a while (not anymore due to lack of time).

Great place to post. Nikon equipment not required.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys use as an image format?... I have just bought a new DSLR (Canon 70D 18-135mm + 55-250mm) and am thinking about using RAW for more serious shooting, keeping JPEG for family stuff. What sort of workflow do you use, and what format for a final export... I've only used JPEG up till now.

I've looked at Lightroom and find it quite daunting, but my current version of Photoshop will not open my RAW files directly, so have to convert them to DN format, and then they seem to have some slight colour issues compared to the RAW processed through Lightroom. I also have the free Digital Photo Professional that comes with the camera, but that is a little limiting, though I can then export as a TIFF and do further work in PS.

I'm not sure what to do.. muddle though using two programs, or invest in Lightroom and get to grips with it. I only want to work on single images, but LR does seem geared toward batch work and cataloguing which just seems to get in my way.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear how you guys go about workflow... and any advice greatly received.

A couple from the new camera, which I'm still getting to grips with, esp. having used Nikon for several years.

HnVxa.jpg

Part of a sculpture, with mirrors allowing to look up through the tree canopy, though I think my son is more interested in looking at himself.

URmXO.jpg

I use lightroom and have the same issue with RAW in photoshop.  I've even downloaded all the plugins that they say are supposed to work for my camera's RAW format.  All to no avail.  But it's not nearly as daunting as you think it is.  I did a few tutorials online and I was away.  It's super easy with the sliders on it.  I find that every time I am looking to do the same things in PS I end up having to research where to find what I want online as I can't figure it out myself.

I'm aging now, and I have degraded from a film SLR, to a DSLR to a Cybershot point and shoot, and, wash my mouth out, the  ultimate sleeping in the street, iPhone and/or the iPad.

The professional and professional quality shots in this thread are extraordinary.  I am utterly impressed..

But to lower the tone, some happy snaps from abroad.

wuf6.jpg

XLqiE.jpg

UsWHV.jpg

KmW9M.jpg

cAmnH.jpg

VaSJ.jpg

VaSJ.jpg

I apologise, but it was a great trip

Whoops, finger trouble, this is the one I meant!

uDTqd.jpg

Mark the shot of your son is great, tell him to keep rubbing the lamp ^-^

Thanks - its hard to get a good shot of him as he rarely stops moving and if he sees my pointing the camera at him, he pulls a silly face.

I use lightroom and have the same issue with RAW in photoshop.  I've even downloaded all the plugins that they say are supposed to work for my camera's RAW format.  All to no avail.  But it's not nearly as daunting as you think it is.  I did a few tutorials online and I was away.  It's super easy with the sliders on it.  I find that every time I am looking to do the same things in PS I end up having to research where to find what I want online as I can't figure it out myself.

Thanks Ryan.. I must take a look at some of the tutorials online, they're a great help in getting to grips with new programs. At the moment I feel like I'm doing things, with the sliders etc. and getting ok results, but I'm not sure quite sure how I got there; it all feels a bit random. Whereas in Photoshop I know what I'm doing, to some degree anyway... I think working in RAW requires a different mindset that will take some time to adjust too.

I shoot mostly in RAW but if I am doing any shots that will end up here or on my Facebook page I use a multi format of RAW+JPG.

All my editing is done in Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X5.

I think I will do the same thing, its far too awkward to shot everything in just RAW and less easy to quickly go though the images, as less apps will open them...in fact for most stuff, like family pictures I will use JPEG only to save space. I've never looked at Corel... I wonder how it handles Canon RAW if it does so at all?

I'm aging now, and I have degraded from a film SLR, to a DSLR to a Cybershot point and shoot, and, wash my mouth out, the  ultimate sleeping in the street, iPhone and/or the iPad.

I don't think the tools are that important, and there is too much emphasis on gear. Nice though good kit is, obviously the person behind the lens is more important... I've seen some amazing project done on iPhones.

Ah, thank you... The 70D is not listed, so may need a new version or update... anyway, I think I'm going to stick with DDP and CS2 which I'm getting a good, efficient workflow with, though I may get Lightroom at a later date.....

I bought a Canon 'Nifty-Fifty' 50mm 1.8 Prime today... otherwise known as the 'plastic fantastic' which is a cheap, but optically great lens. Its nice to have a lens that allows wide-open apertures, for selective focus, or stopped-down for really crisp images.... Its also an interesting exercise, just going out with a prime, where you really have to think about composition. Its kind of like using a limited palette with painting, forcing you to focus on the subject, and the best way to achieve the result your looking for.

I'm only just starting out with the 50mm, but here is an early shot with it with my boys and a baby toad, they found in the garden tonight.

TFAqr.png

Here is one of mine, taken with a Canon 5D MarkII.

WOW! that is superb François.

See I'm not as useless as some think. I come up with the Odd Idea that strikes a chord :P

:lol:

Its a great topic... there is some real talent here.

See I'm not as useless as some think. I come up with the Odd Idea that strikes a chord :P

If people would consider you as useless, you would not have thousands of views of this topic so far. Great idea!

Great shot Francois

Thanks Taph

WOW! that is superb François.

:lol:

Its a great topic... there is some real talent here.

Thanks Mark. It was a last minute opportunity, when I thought that the photo session was over. Taken in Quebec City, about one kilometer from my home. I was taking pictures of something totally different, and on my way back to the car I saw this special combination of interesting insect and flower. Too much in one small shot to resist a last capture. Taken with a Macro 100mm. No need to go to the end of the world.

Always a great pleasure to browse through this fantastic thread every now and then!

Another great set of photos has been added since i visited it the last time!

Great work again all the way!

Really great!

Thank You very much everyone for sharing!

And sure:

Please do keep them comming!

;)

Archived