Member photo gallery

Ryan Mason

Guess if you want to know a little bit about me, my name actually is Utley. Im from Colorado Springs, CO, and I work at Lockheed Martin in Marietta, GA building C-130Js. Im just a lowly A&P mechanic who has been out of college for a few years, never fixed an airplane yet...just building them. Few years in the Marine Corps, been out about 10 years now. Flight simming since 2002, the day I got out basically. I fix cars, bikes, computers, heavy equipment vehicles, small GA aircraft, did a small stint working on Embraer 141's before I went to work for Lockheed.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... Just found this and... what the heck ;D

Anyway. My real name is Brian Gladden (natch) and I've been flying FS since the 5.1 days. Got into FS design (Scenery and Aircraft) with FS 2000 and kept it up for several years. Did some commercial FS aircraft design work for Abacus back in '05 but Kinda burned myself out since it was my only income at that time.

Continuing, I've worked in Auto Parts (Twice. Dealership parts room and as a route salesman) Had a combined 23 year carer (sort of) as a Firefighter and EMT. I was a volunteer Firefighter for 13 years and a full time paid EMT-D for 10.

Worked a few years as a Line Tech for a FAA Part 141 Repair Station and 135 Charter operator. Got to play with airplanes and get paid for it :-)

Currently I'm a crew Leader for a Traffic Control Company (I'm the guy in the road with the stop sign keeping the cars from hitting each other) I've been doing this for the last 3 1/2 years.

My hobbies are Of course, Flight Sim, Cars, Science Fiction (Especially Firefly/Serenity... Browncoats forever) and the family pets (3 cats 2 dogs)

And my ugly mug.... (I'm the guy on the right in the Blue Shirt. Guy on the left is Chris aka Railrunner over on SOH) Taken a few years back when he was visiting Vermont.

Posted Image

My "Toy" AKA my 1987 Ford Crown Vic Station Wagon also known as the "Hearse"

Posted Image

And when I worked Line Service, I got to tow this in and out of the hangar for a week...

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

I've been around the forums for a while, but I thought I'd put some pictures here:

Posted Image

I'm a Sergeant in the Air Training Corps (Bognor Regis Squadron). This is the Chichester Revival 2012 where I was lucky enough to get air side (it's who you know right!) and that's my favourite aircraft in the background - guesses as to what it is? Too easy right?! I love aviation, couldn't be a fighter pilot because I have poor vision, tried for Airline but changed my mind when I came across cars, girls and money. I turned down a PPL in Florida for a car that my Dad offered me when I was 17 (silly boy!).

Posted Image

My hobbies are being a husband, a new Dad (as above!), FSX zealot and I also enjoy making airfix models. By day I'm a search engine marketer in Portsmouth.

Apart from getting my NPPL my other long term project is to build a home cockpit - I have recently acquired a the Saitek radio and switch panels to kick things off!

Thanks all very much

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting thread... been around those 15 page the last hour :-)

The bad side of my job:

Posted Image

The good side of my job:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Name: Benny

Location: Where it's cold (Canada-Montreal)), humid and probably where the temperature as the most variation in a year.

Job: Use to be an airplane mechanic, left and owned hobby shop, left and started a VW Camper van restoration (Subaru Engine conversion - Body work) shop (now I'm poor and give all my money to ORBX)

Hobby: Flying (use to 15000hrs), flying RC plane/helicopter, simming, traveling (Mostly road trip), photography, ATV winter time, building all kind of strange machine that make no sense:

Posted Image

Native: Indian, English, French, German blood. What a mix! My grand grand grand grand father arrived here in the 1650.

Language: French dialect (ha ha), English (somewhat) and a bit of Spanish.

My shop:

[media=]http://youtu.be/HtBxPlmWPUA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, then... name is John Burford, from Adelaide, South Australia. Retired from government stuff. Always lived near or under a flightpath or circuit and within easy reach of some airfield or other, usually YPPF Parafield for GA, YPED for air force and YPAD for regional/international. Among various uniforms I've worn Air Training Corps cadet (WW2 leftovers!), and later army reserve clobber.

First sim I got working was FS95. Got into tinkering in FS2002 (never got 2000) and five minutes later FS2004 came out, better still. Fiddled with AFCADs, scenery object-placing software, AI traffic and other bits and pieces. My PC just handles FSX well enough to enjoy FTX provided I live the the occasional "out of memory!No, not upgrading yet - a thousand or two bucks is a lot - after all it's just a game! (Ducks for cover)

Into aviation in general, have been in and even flown the odd aircraft briefly, but not a pilot. Crashed a link trainer in the Air Training Corps.

Seems like a lot of pics relate to our common hobby one way or another. So here's my connection.

FTX Skagit area, around April.

Posted Image

Me in 2009 among those coloured patches.

Posted Image

A few more pics. I don't care much for flowers but glad I saw this. Very spectacular. At a pinch the buldings among the trees in the 2nd thumb might be those under the aircraft, and sheds in the third shot might be the ones ahead of the aircraft in the FS screenie. The relative positions are right. ;)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

And I also visited Snohomish and Harvey Field. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not too familiar with the forum details. But, I will give it a whirl.

First of all, JohnFromOz, I was driving by those fields in the Skagit Valley, about the time you posted your entry. No tulips then. But there will be in April, when we will be back again. I think we are kinda far apart normally, when I am in Anchorage, Alaska, where I normally live and work. But a couple of years ago, we bought a vacation home on a hill in the middle of La Conner, with a great view of those fields. So, when I am in La Conner, I suspect I am a couple of thousand miles closer to you. We will be in La Conner for two weeks in April, tulips will be in bloom, my youngest daughter and her husband will join us for awhile.

I have been into simming since the '80s, but not in a very intense fashion until the last 10 years. I spent a couple of years playing around with scenery, and then joined a small virtual airline and did all their plane painting and all their custom scenery objects for a few years. Being a young 71, but very busy guy, still working, I don't have the time I would wish, but still do a lot of simming.

Now, you got to know, my wife and I had kinda fallen in love with La Conner. We had haunted the place for 15 years before buying a house. So Skagit Regional looked so inviting.

Soss.....I look at the airport, plunk down a few objects, and extended the apron a bit, so that there would be room for my personal virtual airline, SkagitAire. Already had a livery, purloined from another fleeting romance with a location in Alaska, but my heart wasn't with it. But La Conner, close to Skagit Regional, that looked perfect.

So, naively.....how could a 71 year old guy be naive?

......yup.......it happens.

.......I go looking for pictures of Skagit Regional. Of course the orbx people, they got more out there about the virtual Skagit Regional than there is about the real airport.

Hard to miss.

OK, so I downloaded all the four regions in the Northwest. And of course Skagit Regional, Anacortes, Concrete, and Darrington. I have an associate in my business that grew up in Darrington!!

So, now......got to figure out how my personal virtual airline, Skagitaire, is going to work out in this scenery.....

.....let me tell you, a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 is gonna be a tight fit. When we come to La Conner, we fly the Dash 8 into Bellingham......

May have to forget the Dash 8.........

What do you think?

Ed Watson also from Adelaide, South Australia..

Flying flightsim longer than I care to remember!..

Posted Image

2 years ago I started an ambitious project to build a 737-800 home simulator..

not one of the $100K commercial packages but a simple MDF project with saitek flight gear and opencockpits MCP/FMCs

I am pleased with the result!.. all the radios in the pedestal now work as well.

(a new throttle unit from Jetmax leaves this Thursday heading for my place!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

jbertelson, I also remember visiting La Conner and you're right, beautiful area. Found a nice friendly place to eat on Farm to Market Road, set in a red barn (which FS overdid as a default object, except in America) which I think was between La Conner and Skagit. Nice gardens (and tulip farms) and a superb backdrop. Snohomish was nice, too, right beside Harvey field.

G'day, Ed from Adelaide. I'm not a heavy metal person but that cockpit is really impressive!

I guess it's my turn.

Forum name; marvic

Here is me after a landing at CYBR in fall. On our way to the Western Canadian Avaition Museum. Finally the rain subsided but not the gusty wind.

Me and my friend took turns flying to Brandon and back to St Andrews CYAV. Boy were our arms tired.....literally.

Born in Toronto, grew up in Newfoundland, live in Steinbach (CJB3) Manitoba.

.Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Been around the forums for a few years, maybe it's time I said hi and came out of the shadows.

Posted Image

My name is Rob Finlay, I live in a small northern city in British Columbia Canada. Former Private Pilot, my medical expired a few years ago and with work and home life I haven't had much of a chance to get back flying again. I've marked on my calendar to complete a medical before July 31st and get back in the air before the 1st of September...fingers crossed.

I work for an oil company and have a family of 4. Two teenagers who, as you guessed by my medical expiring due to lack of funds, are nearing post secondary age. My 18 year old daughter is going to University in the fall to obtain her Business degree followed by a few hundred thousand dollars in law school. My son who's 16 is planning on mechanical engineering so Dad's going to be broke for a while. FSX and the wonderfull scenery Orbx has produced along with some fantastic add on aircraft will have to satisfy my desire to fly while my kids are in university.

Cheers all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 45 years old. I have been and saw and got right royally hammered on numerous occasions all over the world from Shanghai to Vancouver.

I am ex British Army, I am married to Debs with four children, three daughters and a son and we live in North Worcestershire, near Bromsgrove about 12 miles south of Birmingham, UK.

I work for for Virgin Media pushing engineers about the network to keep the thing up and running from Edinburgh to Plymouth and they hate the sound of my voice at 3 o'clock on a Sunday morning.

My flight simming stems from my fascination with aviation which has gripped me since I first started to walk and talk, I could write books about the books I have about the subject and when I say grip I mean it.

I was always too daft, silly and unfocused to do it for real so my first encounter with FS was in the 1980s when I had a go on my mates dads computer with a wire frame flight sim'. It might have been one of the very early MSFS jobbies. Then I progressed onto an old Eurofighter Typhoon sim many many years ago. Now I am here bugging you lot with silly questions. Thanks for having me.

This is me, taken by Debs on Christmas Day 2012. Deb could not believe that I wore THAT T-Shirt and those jeans on Christmas Day.

Posted Image

Hello,

My name is Richard and I'm from Versailles nearby Paris, France. I'm working as a testing software engineer in IT services.

I fly on FSX since some years but I only discorvered ORBX's products this year with FTX EU England and Wales. I admit that a great change in my way of using fly simulation. ORBX is really great immersive !

Posted Image

I'm also a moderator from Libertysim.net, a French forum where you can have general exchanges about all of kind of simulation softwares. We deal in French but don't hesitate to come to post because we are English compliant too :)

Last year, we participated in the international exhibition of simulation at the Museum of Bourget with our own stand. Personal cockpits with flying instruments and triple monitors were displayed to the public. We hope to do it again in September 2013 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Richard

• 2 months later...

Wow; should I be brave and post about myself in here?  Well; I guess I’ve started, so I’d better finish.  

My name is Dominic and I’ve been a keen flight simmer since the days of F19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose.

SInce that time; I’ve slowly progressed from a 48K ZX Spectrum to an Apple Macintosh. Do people actually say Macintosh anymore?  No?  OK; to an iMac then.

In a recent and rather futile attempt to relive my childhood days, I purchased a ZX Spectrum from eBay hoping that my life as I knew it, would somehow be seen again through the eyes of a young boy.  The result?  All I can say on the matter is that I failed terribly.

As of today, my flight simming time is consumed by the two best civil flight simulators on the home computer: X-Plane and FSX.  Both fantastic products in their own way and both deserving of an Oscar.

I’ve always had a love for aviation and have many a fond memory of reading Commando comics under the covers at boarding school. As a child at Christmas; where most parents said I love you with a bicycle; mine said it with aviation books.  Looking back on it now, it’s probably the best thing they ever did for me. 

Moving on a few years......

9157946369_7ebf2d2a22_z.jpg

My wife (the boss) is strangely supportive of my hobby.  I’m not sure if this is out of love for  her husband, or because my flight simulator purchases seem to be equally matched by an order of female clothing!  For her...not me :P

Wifey adds a great deal to my flight sim experience and I love her for it. Her uncanny ability of creating turbulence in flight at just the right time is amazing; as is her role as a part-time air hostess; who never neglects her captains wants. 

When I’m not in the clouds pretending to be Chuck, you’ll find me in the classroom teaching.  For ten years I’ve been a constant pain to my students, but it’s a pain they’ve learned to live with; well....I think they have, as I haven’t succumbed to any of their Christmas cookies!

That’s about it really chaps; hope you’re all still awake :D  

Happy flying!!

Dom

I've been hanging around here for a while, maybe time to jump in!

I picked up FS pretty recently. My first sim was FS2004 that I started using around 2007. I picked up the design side of things almost 3 years ago. Besides flightsim and developing I am a student at university studying IT with a focus on databases and security. For the most part of the year I live in the small town of Statesboro among the cotton fields and cattle but my hometown is about 3.5hrs away on the edge of Atlanta. 

Anyway, here is the least frightening picture I could find! The ocean is about an hour away and the climate is very mild, well except for the brutal summer, so the beach is available even in the winter!

798mZtt.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice to know much about you Alex

Anyway, here is the least frightening picture I could find! The ocean is about an hour away and the climate is very mild, well except for the brutal summer, so the beach is available even in the winter!

Sure, no people flow over there ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,

now I think it´s time, to talk a little about me:

Name: Stephan Ziegler, I live in Germany, most of my life (ecxept one year in New York and two years in Manchester) Im 53 Years old and start FlightSim with the FS3 in 1988.

Forumname is HAL9000 because I am a great Fan of 2001 Space Odysee, so my first Computer in 1985 got this name too

Here is a picture of me

Orbx2.jpg

when i am not simming, I love to drive with my motorbike a 2009 Yamaha FJR 1300 with my Wife, shes is driving a Suzuki GSX 1250 F.

Normaly we drive over 15000 Miles a year, together we came of over 500000 miles without an accident in the last 20 years.

The following picture is from Summer of this Year!!

Orbx1.jpg

But there is a little more in our garage

We live in the middle of Germany in Bad Homburg, little town near Frankfurt/Main

Last year we got our big wedding, shurly on our bikes, with friends of whole Europe (longest journey 1800 miles)

IMG_2342.JPG

I hope this was not to long 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Stephan, thanks for your introduction - you live in a beautiful part of our world. I bet you're looking forward to the Orbx treatment of Europe. Enjoy your two wheeled alternative to simming your wife should get into simming also! :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,so the story so far (not really uplifting but some of it is)

So about a two years ago I was fed up with not having a hobby apart from trying to be a good Dad,went into Eb Games and there was FSX Gold edition so I thought stuff it and gave it a go.Now I am completely hooked.To be honest I was un happy with the look of FSX and looked into Google AUS FSX and up came Orbx, completely blown away by the pictures I made the purchase and have not looked back since.I am a loyalty kind of guy and will only purchase Orbx products basically because I am sure Orbx started in Aus and this developer has always had a good grounding on manners morals and support.I did a little reviewing with ASN until shortly after the love of my life was taken from my son and I and could not fulfill my commitments so the reviewing stopped.(I actually miss the reviewing).

Real Name:Richard Lincoln      User name SPOK why? well because I thought Spok was the logical answer hahaha

My Occupation: Civil Construction Foreman,or Health and Safety Manager for NSW region.

My Son: Lachlan  Jamesberry Lincoln who is GOD in my eyes and the drive in my life.

Below are some shots of my son with his mum before she passed

And one shot of my wife 2 Months before she passed at a civil awards ceremony which I won(she was so proud of me and I miss her)anyway I hold onto this site as a way for me to have a laugh,enjoy my hobby I am up sometimes all night looking at the screens,reading the posts.I actually really enjoy the input everyone contributes,and when I was at my lowest point and had no where to turn to cheer me up I went onto the forum posted a thank you and mentioned my struggle and I had the most encouraging support I have ever received.The post that cemented my opinion of Orbx came with JV giving me a chin up and what a bloody good bloke to take the time to respond,I was a little taken.So yeah ORBX all the way!!!!!!

pKjSD.jpg

MON8S.jpg

EMuCK.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, no picture, but since I'm here.

My name is Conrad Lawrence and I'm from the Cape Breton Highlands in Nova Scotia, Canada. I've been married 13 of my 43 years to a very "understanding" woman and have three wonderful kids to show for it.

StiC is short for Mystic, a handle I used for a few years in the 90s. During a lobby session when playing Crimson Skies someone shortened it to Stic and it stuck.

I studied and worked in electronics for a number of years in Toronto before moving back home to help my Dad run his store, located on the Cabot Trail. After he sold the business I moved a couple hours south to North Sydney where I worked as a lead hand for a large auto parts manufacturer. In 2009 the plant closed. I now write network protocol test scripts for a company that creates video lottery terminals. To be honest I prefer the hands on work, but in the meantime I'm learining programming.

I always had a desire to fly, but never the means. About 18 months ago I picked up Cliffs of Dover and fell in with a group of fellow Canadians who were willing to hold my hand until I cut my teeth. I was instantly hooked and started building up my mockpit one piece out of time.

Civil flight recently began to interest me and at this moment FSX is being installed for the first time.

Now, what scenery would you recomend I purchase first?

Take Care.

StiC

• 2 months later...

Well - I think it's time to drop my mask (at least a bit) ;)

My name is Martin, I'm a fully qualified archaeologist but work as a freelance translator. I grew up in planes because my father was constantly posted to exotic places by his company and have survived loopings in a helicopter over Barbados, non-closing doors on Ghana Airways back in the seventies, engine failures on transatlantic flights and made it safely back to the ground after taking near-derelict Russian commercial jets... I actually wanted to become a pilot once, but my eyes prevented that dream from coming to fruition.

I've been flightsimming from the good old Microprose days.

In this pic I was a bit pissed to be dragged out from behind my screen to go for a walk.

138869536702352400_resized.jpg

My other real hobby is 2CVs. I've had the one in this pic

1277068208_resized.jpg?width=1920&height

for more than 23 years now, but currently also call an Ami 6 my own and had AK 400 vans, Acadianes and Visas in the past. The neat part about the 2CV is that it's a bit like flying an old biplane. Wind hits you from all angles, the windows are hinged half-way up like in some Cessnas and the needle of the speedometer gets stuck sometimes, so that you have to tick it with your finger to get it moving again - like in those old airplane disaster movies where they suddenly realise that they have run out of fuel ;)

By the way - the car is commonly known as "the duck" in German - and that's where my Mallard nick comes from (loads of German 2CV drivers only know me under that name)...

Cheers

Mallard 

• Upvote 1

My name is Martin, I'm a fully qualified archaeologist but work as a freelance translator. I grew up in planes because my father was constantly posted to exotic places by his company and have survived loopings in a helicopter over Barbados, non-closing doors on Ghana Airways back in the seventies, engine failures on transatlantic flights and made it safely back to the ground after taking near-derelict Russian commercial jets... I actually wanted to become a pilot once, but my eyes prevented that dream from coming to fruition.

In this pic I was a bit pissed to be dragged out from behind my screen to go for a walk.

for more than 23 years now, but currently also call an Ami 6 my own and had AK 400 vans, Acadianes and Visas in the past. The neat part about the 2CV is that it's a bit like flying an old biplane. Wind hits you from all angles, the windows are hinged half-way up like in some Cessnas and the needle of the speedometer gets stuck sometimes, so that you have to tick it with your finger to get it moving again - like in those old airplane disaster movies where they suddenly realise that they have run out of fuel ;)

By the way - the car is commonly known as "the duck" in German - and that's where my Mallard nick comes from (loads of German 2CV drivers only know me under that name)...

Cheers

Mallard 

Well Hello Martin , now if we can just get Stillwater (Gerold) to come out from behind the curtain . :D :D

Brad

• Upvote 1

Cheers

Mallard 

You're a myth Mallard ! :) Good to see you in person !!! (I like a lot the 2CVs too ehhehe)

Cheers

Mallard 

wow nice to see you Mallard, it's funny how with just a username and an avatar we imagine people! :)

It's my turn to reveil myself later today!

• Upvote 1