Suggestion: Perhaps roads green borders should be thinner/narrower and more subtle?

Claviateur

In my opinion the green grass borders on each side of the roads of all types are a little large / wide and the green is maybe a little flashy?

In a situation where many roads are part of a city, the intersection of all those roads with the green grass borders bite allot of space from the landclass?

Jut my personal opinion...

Cheers

Michel

Hi there. New customer here but old UTX/GEX client. I am only using the global products in P3D as I am quite happy with the UTX/GEX combination in FSX. I would like to suggest a feature which is already there in UTX and this is the organization of roads in major and minor and the capability to disable minor roads in cities or rural areas as seen better by the user. Also the capability to control the width of the road encasements as well as that of rivers and shorelines. these features give the capability to the user to create the image he thinks is more appropriate for his area.

Just a suggestion.

Just installed and first thing I also noticed are the road borders, maybe they're ok for freeways and motorways but not really and actually totally unrealistics for the smaller roads and in the cities. Hope that will be corrected.

Thanks! Ciao

The width is one issue but the green make it appear as if it is too standing out... FS Roads as vectors are already too sharp compared to real life thus adding a plain green border make it as if it is a sticker over the subtle landclass blended texture... I suggest to choose a darker tone... Just to make it a little bit duller... Also the roads texture itself is a little too pale perhaps?

Noted: we will review the road borders although I beg to differ on your opinion of them and so would the overwhelming majority of our customers.

We'll live with that of course. I'd like to know for what reason you think they are good now, maybe some technical reason behind it?

Thanks.

Ciao

I'm sure that Orbx will do all possible to keep flight simming "as real as it gets". Microsoft sure dropped the ball, but then came John V..................the rest is history. I think that we're progressing as fast as we can. Besides if all was perfect today, there would be nothing to look forward to.

'Venema' meant for the roads to be the width they are; it is a product design choice.

Hey John, not meaning to question your judgement, but unfortunately the product design choice, means I have uninstalled Vector. My issue with Mesh, which I would likely have got at some point in the future to correct current issues can be dealt with, but sadly, I can't live with the roads the way they are. While I realise my choice will be of little concern to you, I hope this is some valuable feedback, cheers.

Hey John, not meaning to question your judgement, but unfortunately the product design choice, means I have uninstalled Vector. My issue with Mesh, which I would likely have got at some point in the future, would have corrected current issues, but sadly I can't live with the roads the way they are. While I realise my choice will be of little concern to you, I hope this is some valuable feedback, cheers.

The roads is what holding me back to buy Vector, actually. After giving it some thought and consideration, I think I could like Vector but those roads… But maybe it's not even those roads, it's those encasements, which are really over the top. Take a look at the shots in this topic http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70977-really-needed-a-configuration-tool/ Without those encasements, which are as wide as the road itself on BOTH sides, things actually might look okay! But with all that green… no, no way I am going to buy Vector before this is solved. I can cope with mesh or not and I am sure the black patches in P3D can be solved too but these roads have to be solved. I really can't imagine those huge encasements are by design. If they are, you need a new designer. No city on earth looks like the cities do with Vector.

It´s very easy to get rid of these ugly skirts in P3D (I´m sure, also in FSX):

1. Make a backup of your "Terrain.cfg" (inside the main P3D-Folder).

2. Open the actual "Terrain.cfg" with an editor, e.g. "Windows Notepad".

3. Find all entries with "OrbX Custom Vectors and Road and (important!) Skirting"

4. Change "StripWidthMeters" to lower values, I took 10 and it`s o.k. for me.

5. Save it and enjoy!

Unfortunately i cannot post a screenshot here, but believe me, it Looks much better in bigger cities!

Good luck!

Lars 

It´s very easy to get rid of these ugly skirts in P3D (I´m sure, also in FSX):

1. Make a backup of your "Terrain.cfg" (inside the main P3D-Folder).

2. Open the actual "Terrain.cfg" with an editor, e.g. "Windows Notepad".

3. Find all entries with "OrbX Custom Vectors and Road and (important!) Skirting"

4. Change "StripWidthMeters" to lower values, I took 10 and it`s o.k. for me.

5. Save it and enjoy!

Unfortunately i cannot post a screenshot here, but believe me, it Looks much better in bigger cities!

Good luck!

Lars 

Thanks for this - I will try it ASAP.  I really don't like the wide roads.

I don't have any problem with the road widths themselves...I do think the widths of the green strips are perhaps giving the illusion of the roads being wider than they are. I actually like John's thinking that the roads are the width they actually are and think it makes perfect sense (real is real) but would agree with those that think fine-tuning the strip encasements at their borders to make them a little smaller would go a long way to making the roads themselves look as imagined and spot on. The strips need to be there to some extent and this makes a lot of sense but if they a little narrower, I think everything would look different and more landclass proportion would be seen, as well as real correct width roads simultaneously.The width of the actual roads would then look very different without actually being changed from reality and welcomingly realistic as they do when looking out of a real aircraft. The mesh is of real dimension and the roads and all else should be too as far as is possible...and I think a few minor adjustments to the skirtings rather than the roads themselves, as Ripcord, J van E and a few others suggest, would put things in a more ideal and compromised position for all tastes. The colours of the roads seem ok to me and its not a big deal but I think its good they'll take a second look at some small fine-tuning. The suggestion Lars makes would not appear far wrong if the review went along those lines. As I said before, looking forward to picking my copy of Vector up over the next couple of days hopefully and seeing the great changes to the vectors around the world, provided install goes smoothly :smile:.

'Venema' meant for the roads to be the width they are; it is a product design choice.

I see no personal attacks here, or your customers being unreasonable or rude. Simply a request to make a modification. Your reply in the other thread came off as scoffing at your customers, hence my response. I'm sorry if you're offended by our feedback.

I see no personal attacks here, or your customers being unreasonable or rude. Simply a request to make a modification. Your reply in the other thread came off as scoffing at your customers, hence my response. I'm sorry if you're offended by our feedback.

It does seem you can be as respectful as you like, as I have always been, so have many others, but......

LarsA, refreshing to see a constructive post with a solution.  I only know John Venema by reputation and I know that he does take notice of all of our concerns and will make all necessary modifications which is why there are always many follow up free patches for Orbx products. You cannot produce a product in the first issue that is everything to everybody so as comments and suggestions are made they are accumulated and then solved in patches, which will happen. However I do understand some customers wanting to wait until a few patches have sorted out most problems before purchasing. As most major problems appears to concern roads, LarsA's temporary solution (until sorted out by a patch) is a welcome constructive contribution.

Making changes to the width of road skirts is certainly your prerogative if you desire to do so; but be aware that if you do you are going to see some occasional odd looking highway interchanges. You'll see the underlying textures in places where you've narrowed the widths and may even see an autogen house or bldg. pop up in the middle of that interchange. I think that is why the widths are designed the way they are, for an overall pleasing appearance everywhere.

Archived