Johnston Atoll is Now for Sale

Orbxtreme

Hi, I just read that Johnston Atoll is officially for sale, naturally with everything that comes with it, good and bad. So through Sunwing, I had to go see what it looks like. Using FSGRW real weather, I thought I would have a nice view of Honolulu which was the departing airport. Well, lots of rain and IFR for departure, but it's the game so here we go...

Pz2UI.jpg

e8ME9.jpg

That's the only part of the town visible after take-off and then we'll be on top in no time.

uAZ7.jpg

d3Akg.jpg

Already a good portion of the 750 nm has been done, we're approaching the atoll.

rdYh.jpg

i4gV2.jpg

bR3gO.jpg

cUHsP.jpg

Flaps, gear and speed adjusted, the only remaining detail to deal with is the light to moderate crosswind. With only one runway, it has to be expected.

X0O9U.jpg

mvnSC.jpg

I have read that the runway is not maintained and it's definitely not suitable for a B757 considering the lack of maintenance and the series of X along the runway. But it's long enough, wide enough, and it's flight sim world, no life at stake.

7UAOj.jpg

From here, it doesn't look that bad, the runway looks like it's in one piece. Anyway, it's a great place to see and fly around, that's for sure.

dKhgX.jpg

Ah! There is a little boat on the right...must be the real estate agent waiting for potential customers...

9CrqG.jpg

Short final, there is definitely something visible now on the runway. It's going to be fun to see how the B757 reacts when touching the ground.

XkqSA.jpg

klmOT.jpg

As you can see, there are portions of the runway that are perfect, and some other sections in gelatinous blue that are far from interesting. When rolling through those blueish portions, part of the wheels disappear. So it must be a mixture of sand, deteriorating asphalt and what else! But the B757 makes it through and exits via the first decent taxiway.

TwKGo.jpg

WGlLF.jpg

Lots of sand near the taxiway, and lots of dark green abandoned military shacks too. But there is still some activity around here, as I can witnessed...

qZ3wT.jpg

If the runway is good enough for a straight military C130, it's good enough for a B757. I guess the staff is here to make sure nothing of military value would be left on the atoll, at least nothing that they have control over...

MIS9e.jpg

So this place has potential, but it needs a buyer with lots of cash. I guess I'll ask if J.V. wants to be a partner in this new venture. ^-^

tHzxs.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. Cheers!

Super shots and a great narrative to it Francois!

Top Class!

Thank You very much for sharing!

Runway, docks and beach. Everything there one could need...

Thanks for the information on this one - I'll give the estate agent a call right away. :)

Cheers

Mallard

I'll give the estate agent a call right away ...

.. me too! :D

Great set..love to buy it and go live there and hide !!

Stu

Thanks for the information on this one - I'll give the estate agent a call right away. :)

Cheers

Mallard

Top Class!

Fantastic tour, narrations and shots, Francois. But, after a short consultation with my estate agent (wikipedia), I decided not to bid for this:

"The Johnston Atoll area was used during the 1950s and 1960s as an American nuclear weapons test site—for both above-ground and underground nuclear tests. Later on, it became the site of a chemical weapons depot and the site of the Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System (JACADS). All of the chemical weapons that were once stored on Johnston Island have been incinerated, and that process was completed in 2000 and JACADS demolished by 2003. In 1993, Congress appropriated no funds for the Johnston Atoll "Safeguard C" mission, bringing it to an end. Congress redefined the island's military mission as the storage and destruction of chemical weapons."

Great set..love to buy it and go live there and hide !!

Stu

Cheers

Mallard

Top Class!

Fantastic tour, narrations and shots, Francois. But, after a short consultation with my estate agent (wikipedia), I decided not to bid for this:

"The Johnston Atoll area was used during the 1950s and 1960s as an American nuclear weapons test site—for both above-ground and underground nuclear tests. Later on, it became the site of a chemical weapons depot and the site of the Johnston Atoll Chemical Agent Disposal System (JACADS). All of the chemical weapons that were once stored on Johnston Island have been incinerated, and that process was completed in 2000 and JACADS demolished by 2003. In 1993, Congress appropriated no funds for the Johnston Atoll "Safeguard C" mission, bringing it to an end. Congress redefined the island's military mission as the storage and destruction of chemical weapons."

You're totally right, but I was trying to be politically correct for my american friends by saying "I guess the staff is here to make sure that nothing of military value would be left on the atoll, at least nothing that they have control over...." No control neither on the rocket that exploded over the island. Well I guess this sale will have to be postponed for now...(50 years would be the normal waiting period, just to make sure...)! :footmouth:

Archived